Exmark engine oil substitute

Born2Mow

Threads
Full synthetic 10W30 is easy enough to find, but the Exmark maintenance manual is asking for API rating SF/SG which has the ZDDP zinc additive package to protect camshafts. Most of your common oils these days are rated SL/SN/SM and are designed for cars with catalytic converters. Those oils don't have the zinc additives because they kill the catalytic converters.

You can get regular mineral oil with the correct rating, but it's very hard to find in Full-Synthetic. Where can one find the correct substitute engine oils ?

Apologies if this has been discussed. I did do a search. Thanks in advance.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
As far as i know Mineral Oil is mainly used for breaking in engines. I may be wrong on that though.
i just read on the Exmark website and they say their oils meet or exceed API 'SL' and JASO standards. You might look at Kinetix brand oil, or look at Kawasaki's K-Tech engine oil specs.
Is this an Exmark branded engine? or Kawasaki or kohler?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
***caution*** opinion ahead.

If you want to use synthetic oil go ahead but...... synthetic oils used in automobiles allow those engines to longer between oil changes before the base oil starts breaking down. Synthetics don't offer better lubrication than mineral oils. They take heat better and last longer. All that us not all that helpful in a small engine unless you want to go long periods between oil changes which may not be the best thing for small engines.
Oils designated for automotive use have little to no ZDDP in them per government rules. Oils not intended for automotive use can have higher levels of ZDDP. ZDDP is an anti wear additive added to oils to help with wear on flat tappet cams in automotive engines with high valve spring pressures. Small engines have much lower spring pressures. Most you can compress with fingers. ZDDP additive is not that important in a small engine vs. Something like a high revving V8 with a flat tappet cam. Use whatever oil you want and have confidence in but a non synthetic SJ rated 30wt or 10w30 without ZDDP package will work fine. The most important thing is not how expensive the oil you use is but how often do you change the oil? The stuff that turn the oil black is the same whether synthetic or non synthetic oil is used. The more often you get that out or the engine the longer the engine will last. You can leave oil in too long but you can't change it too often.

***end of opinion***

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Full synthetic 10W30 is easy enough to find, but the Exmark maintenance manual is asking for API rating SF/SG which has the ZDDP zinc additive package to protect camshafts. Most of your common oils these days are rated SL/SN/SM and are designed for cars with catalytic converters. Those oils don't have the zinc additives because they kill the catalytic converters.

You can get regular mineral oil with the correct rating, but it's very hard to find in Full-Synthetic. Where can one find the correct substitute engine oils ?

Apologies if this has been discussed. I did do a search. Thanks in advance.

Every mower, chain saw & tractor shop on the planet.
Most keep both mower branded and general oils for mowers
Sorry but that rule out Wally , Lowes & most auto stores
The latter generally sell mower oils for higher prices than mower shops but people are brainwashed that NAPA will always be cheaper.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run straight 30 Kawi oil in my engines. It seems like I get a lot more consumption if I use 10w30

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I run straight 30 Kawi oil in my engines. It seems like I get a lot more consumption if I use 10w30
That is because when stone cold which is most of the time the oil strait 30W oil is twice as thick as the 10W 30
so you tend to get more weeping when stationary and more burning on start up
But because most synthetics are ashless there is little to no tell tale smoke thus the need to be that little more vigilant with the oil checking when running on fully synthetics.

Born2Mow

Threads
Every mower, chain saw & tractor shop on the planet.
Most keep both mower branded and general oils for mowers
Sorry but that rule out Wally , Lowes & most auto stores
The latter generally sell mower oils for higher prices than mower shops but people are brainwashed that NAPA will always be cheaper.

Ahh ! I see the problem. I'm coming at this starting from the classic and vintage motorcycle world. Older motorcycles from the 50's, 60's and 70's also require SF/SG rated oils. My Exmark mower store is 50 miles away. I was trying to keep from making this a regular trip. I'll look for a local non-Exmark dealer with the correct oil grades.

Thanks !