Estimated mowing time with 48" WB for 3/4 acre

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
True, but some of these yards it's simply trim around the house and a few trees. It will all work out. All in all I am pretty sure the 48 will save me some time and make me do more lawns in a day.

Once you get to know the mower you'll be surprised how much time it will save you per lawn. Your productivity will be over twice that of your 30". The 48" is a perfect size for most any lawns. I wondered when I purchased my Grandstand 36" if I was making a good choice but its productivity is great, I can go places the 48" can't and mow lawns with it that I'd never put the 48" on to. You'll be happy with your choice.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am sure it will save me loads of time on those 5000 square feet lawns and up. I can also use it on some front lawns where it fits to save time and have a nice cut.

All in all it is a very nice machine. Can't wait to try it out.

I sometimes wonder how fast is a 36 compared to a 30". A lot debate on this and some are selling there 36 and get a 30" instead.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am sure it will save me loads of time on those 5000 square feet lawns and up. I can also use it on some front lawns where it fits to save time and have a nice cut.

All in all it is a very nice machine. Can't wait to try it out.

I sometimes wonder how fast is a 36 compared to a 30". A lot debate on this and some are selling there 36 and get a 30" instead.

It depends on the 36". You can debate it all you want and I know your not going to agree. I sold a or my 36" WB and purchased the 30" Turf-Master. The productivity between a 36" WB vs a 30" Turf-Master wasn't and isn't going to be that much different except for what little you get in cutting width.

Now when Your talking about a 36" stander like the Grandstand though there's no comparison, it will be faster than both the others and more productive because of the areas of use like getting through back yards gates and mowing slopes etc. Less trips to the trailer.

The Toro Grandstand 36" is Toro's best selling and most popular stander. They sell more of the 36" than any other model in the stander series. You have to consider that the Grandstand is basically a ZTR but are better built than 90% of the ZTR mowers out there, that's the reason they carry a 5yr 1200 hour warranty.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no way I would do any yard for $25
Around here that's way to low even for a 1/4 acre lot I start at $40
The guys that think speed makes them the most money are low ballers that do a half *** job. We take our time and do a perfect job. And still only work 5 days a week doing 100 yards.
A 1/4 acre lot always gets done with a push mower. Makes the yard look so much cleaner.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends on the 36". You can debate it all you want and I know your not going to agree. I sold a or my 36" WB and purchased the 30" Turf-Master. The productivity between a 36" WB vs a 30" Turf-Master wasn't and isn't going to be that much different except for what little you get in cutting width.

Now when Your talking about a 36" stander like the Grandstand though there's no comparison, it will be faster than both the others and more productive because of the areas of use like getting through back yards gates and mowing slopes etc. Less trips to the trailer.

The Toro Grandstand 36" is Toro's best selling and most popular stander. They sell more of the 36" than any other model in the stander series. You have to consider that the Grandstand is basically a ZTR but are better built than 90% of the ZTR mowers out there, that's the reason they carry a 5yr 1200 hour warranty.

I agree with you! I almost got a stander, but wanted a WB for extreme slopes (more control) and they didn't have the model I wanted in 48".

The guys that think speed makes them the most money are low ballers that do a half *** job. We take our time and do a perfect job. And still only work 5 days a week doing 100 yards.
A 1/4 acre lot always gets done with a push mower. Makes the yard look so much cleaner.

Different areas = different market. I do a good job and you know it. I don't mow many 1/4 acre lots. All very small lots around here.
In my dreams, I would only cut acreage lots, but I have to work on that. A completely different market.
I don't want to be super fast nor spuper slow. I want to be efficient. Once a company finds it's efficiency, it can roll. Clients like that also. They want a job well done, but want you to also not be super slow.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I agree with Lawnboy18....different areas are different markets. Some places $25 a yard is high, all depends on location, so it doesn't necessarily make you a lowballer. You can say what you like but the lowballers keep the business honest and affordable and like it or not they are your competition.
I really think in a lot of ways the guys that charge the high prices hurt the business as much as what you call lowballers do because the high price guys actually dictate the prices the so called lowballers have to charge to get into the business.
Determining whether you have a successful lawn-care business or not isn't determined by how much money you make but whether or not you've succeeded in accomplishing the goals you set out to accomplish for the business at the price or money you want to make regardless of the charge.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric, let's not mix the low ballers and the ones that actually charge the market price. The low ballers hurt the industry. They lower the prices and they can do it for many reasons (don't pay taxes, beer, drugs, don't care, etc.). The ones charging the market price are fine. The ones that charge more because they offer something better (good service, etc.) is also fine. Now, the ones that charge a lot and just suck, that is another story.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, let's not mix the low ballers and the ones that actually charge the market price. The low ballers hurt the industry. They lower the prices and they can do it for many reasons (don't pay taxes, beer, drugs, don't care, etc.). The ones charging the market price are fine. The ones that charge more because they offer something better (good service, etc.) is also fine. Now, the ones that charge a lot and just suck, that is another story.

I guess tit depends on your definition of lowballer. What you describe as the guy who (don't have a license or pay taxes, beer, drugs, don't care, etc.) I consider a hack not a lowballer.
A lowballer on the other hand to me is a licensed operator that shows up with maybe a 42" Toro Timecutter, one weed trimmer that he uses for both edging and trimming and a hand held blower. Now seeing this individual and what he is trying to accomplish with the equipment he has how is he supposed to compete with a guy with a big trailer with multiple ztr mowers, multiple push mowers, multiples on every piece of hand held equipment imaginable, ready to undertake any job imaginable.......So how does he compete against the guy with the bigger business? Simple, $10 and $12 lawn cuts, that's the reality of the business, it's a constant battle, it's a game that can only be played and never won.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess tit depends on your definition of lowballer. What you describe as the guy who (don't have a license or pay taxes, beer, drugs, don't care, etc.) I consider a hack not a lowballer. A lowballer on the other hand to me is a licensed operator that shows up with maybe a 42" Toro Timecutter, one weed trimmer that he uses for both edging and trimming and a hand held blower. Now seeing this individual and what he is trying to accomplish with the equipment he has how is he supposed to compete with a guy with a big trailer with multiple ztr mowers, multiple push mowers, multiples on every piece of hand held equipment imaginable, ready to undertake any job imaginable.......So how does he compete against the guy with the bigger business? Simple, $10 and $12 lawn cuts, that's the reality of the business, it's a constant battle, it's a game that can only be played and never won.

I love showing your comments to my buddy's.
I paid $3000 cash for my toro 4 years ago.
Still rides and cuts perfect.
My average daily operating cost last year was $21.00 a day. That includes maintaining equipment. And gas.
That's around a $670 profit per day.
No truck or equipment or house payments.
Heck I don't even have a credit card.

The only need to ever carry 4 trimmers or edgers is just to say you have them.
If the big money mowers you buy are so great why do you trade them for new ones?
I like how you talk about mowers you know nothing about. Saying a mower is good because it has lasted you 3 years with less than 800 hours on it. Don't make it a good mower. It just means you never use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess tit depends on your definition of lowballer. What you describe as the guy who (don't have a license or pay taxes, beer, drugs, don't care, etc.) I consider a hack not a lowballer.
A lowballer on the other hand to me is a licensed operator that shows up with maybe a 42" Toro Timecutter, one weed trimmer that he uses for both edging and trimming and a hand held blower. Now seeing this individual and what he is trying to accomplish with the equipment he has how is he supposed to compete with a guy with a big trailer with multiple ztr mowers, multiple push mowers, multiples on every piece of hand held equipment imaginable, ready to undertake any job imaginable.......So how does he compete against the guy with the bigger business? Simple, $10 and $12 lawn cuts, that's the reality of the business, it's a constant battle, it's a game that can only be played and never won.

I get that, but to me there is this minimum to respect. It costs something to operate and you need to make enough money to be able to buy new equipment once your equipment is finished, pay your gas, insurance, repairs, etc.