Engine won't start makes strangest noise

evanwellens

Threads
Okay, probably not seized up, first i would check that your battery cables are still tight,
Now, i think on this kawasaki, the solenoid is piggy backed on the starter. Check for any loose connections there. and if you have a multimeter, check if you have voltage to the solenoid from the battery
Ok this will have to wait for part 2. I'll report back my findings or more likely more questions , many thanks for your help !!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your battery connections. Make sure it isn't hooked up backwards.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF that was a normal adult male turning the flywheel then the compression release is no working it should not be that hard to rotate the engine.
Next step is to remove the spark plug & try again
IF the engine spins freely then time to adjust the valve lash
If not then as already advised check all of the connections of the battery cables, both the + & the -

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Another thing I would check to see if when you turn the key to start, if the starter gear hops up and meshes with the flywheel gear

evanwellens

Threads
A friend mentioned whack the starter with a hammer. Which required some disassembly. Found a mouse nest *sigh* . Vacummed that up and hit it a bunch I did , still no go but the noise was greatly diminished, so I assume it lacked juice. Put the jump on and and it started. So I thought problem solved. Re-assembled , when to try again, nope. Pulled back apart, starter doesn't appear to engage the flywheel.

Is it the solenoid that is responsible for that engagement ? I'm still not sure what it looks like or how to verify it. Saw some Youtube videos , but not sure what matches what I have.

evanwellens

Threads
Oh Yea , battery connections appear very tight. I would guess if that were the problem it would be completely dead not just partially dead.. Then again I find this stuff a bit mystical.

evanwellens

Threads
OK while looking for the solenoid ( which I still have no idea) I wiggled connections , moved the starter. Worked twice. Now not sure what to think. I know the second I put all back together it will stop. Any thoughts ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check wiring, battery condition, good + and - connections, good frame ground and so on. Those mice most likely chewed your wires up. Look for wires that now, don't go anywhere.

slomo

evanwellens

Threads
Looked all over , no signs of damaged wires. Thing was working fine this morning . Reassembled everything and now it's dead again. Not even making the noise.