Engine won't start makes strangest noise

evanwellens

Threads
All of the sudden my kawasaki engined cubcadet wont start. It started , then stalled , now makes strangest noise ,but isn't kickin over. Has a new battery, fuel filter , oil , oil filter , spark plug this season. Has been years w/o issue. Not sure how to troubleshoot, guessing starter. The model is Kawasaki FH661V for rzt 50. Attached is a small video clip of the sound, any advice would be great, I'm fairly handy, but have no clue here, starter ? Coil ? Hoping the sound will be familiar to someone. Thanks in advance!!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've heard that noise before, usually the starter solenoid was bad, or not getting enough voltage from the battery, could also be a bad connection/ground.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While it could be a bad solenoid, It sound to me too rapid fire fo that.
I feel it may be a seized engine causing the starter to ossolate.
To verify try to rotate the engine by hand, use a long spannar on the pulley bolt to see if you can turn the engine one full turn.
Normally you would turn the engine over by the debris screen but not with Kawasakis as the screen sits on a spider that is easily bent.
Hope for your case that Scrubbie is right but fear he is not.

evanwellens

Threads
OK removed the screen . Here is what I got when turning
If seized It shouldn't budge, no ?
The battery is maybe 2 months old and has been a champ. I also tried my portable jump starter ( for my car ) . Same result.
Thanks so much for the replies. Any other suggestions ?

dougand3

Threads
Like Bert said - you need to turn it a FULL turn. You can get past compression by hand.
You can bypass the solenoid with jumper cables to the starter terminal and a ground.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Like Bert said - you need to turn it a FULL turn. You can get past compression by hand.
You can bypass the solenoid with jumper cables to the starter terminal and a ground.
I 2nd the above.

evanwellens

Threads
I realized my video didn't show the full turn. So back to the shed.

While I know what a solenoid is and basically how it works. Not sure how to identify it or what would count as a good ground ( chassis ?) Or do I need a steak in the ground ? Thanks again !!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, probably not seized up, first i would check that your battery cables are still tight,
Now, i think on this kawasaki, the solenoid is piggy backed on the starter. Check for any loose connections there. and if you have a multimeter, check if you have voltage to the solenoid from the battery