Engine dies when I engage the blades???

Hardluck

Threads
Well I am back with the same or similar issue.
Battery is new and good.LOL

Mower set all winter , aft erht eleaf season.
Started up an ran for about 5 seconds.
I engaged the PTO...it died. Restarted ran a bout 3 seconds and engaged the PTO ..it died. Now it doesn't start or even try to start at all. The engine does turn over.
Any new ideas or ways for me to trouble shoot everything.

Tested The PTO switch , brake and lever steering stiches by engaging or disengaging each and the engine would not turn over if not n the proper position.

Seat switch appeared to work as it is not what made it die.

Thank. I need to to get running pretty quick and am about 60 miles from a dealer and not way to load or haul the mower.

HELP!!!

Hardluck

Threads
The seat switch is a two wire , but I can not get it unplugged. There doesn't seem to have any type of safety clasp but I have pulled with pliers on both sides if the plastic plug but i didn't want to break it.

Any idea?

The engine turns over like there may be a kill switch stuck!

Hardluck

Threads
Here is an update to my stupid posts.

I did get the seat switch plug unplugged, and the engine started with the jumper wire but.... as soon as I engaged the PTO the engine dies again.

How could it be several issues all at the same time. What could it be now?

Also just for the record in case I posted that it was a KOHLER engine, it is not it is a KAWASAKI 26HP

Thank you.

Bertrrr

Threads
Look at the wiring for the PTO , from your description it dies as soon as you engage the clutch, Pull the plug off the pto and engage it again , if it kills the machine there is a short to ground from that switch and not the PTO assembly. If it kills the machine start chasing wires and see where the problem may be.

bnicol456

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, can you post or PM the way to to that, please?
You should have the manual the it came with. If, not, find one online. Mine shows all the parts and where they are located, however yours is 15 years old.

kbowley

Threads
Does that have a "mow in reverse" cut out switch? Just a thought.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When will mower owners learn that there is many different mowers out there and many different ways of wiring them? We must have the equipment make and model at least. And please be aware some of us don't the time to dig your old posts just to guess what mower you currently working on.

Yes multiple failures can happen at the same time or cascade failures.

Just to give an idea here is what is currently in my small shop for repairs.
1712665197197.png
And Yes I know a Z925A has been in the shop for a long time. At least the customer has two other ZTRs that are his primaries mowers. Weather and health has delayed getting it out but it should out in a week. Nearly fully reassembled but rain is holding me off now.

And it appears the new style ignition JD is using has a high failure rate. I done found two in less than a year. This AUC18708 switch is expensive too from JD @ over $85. Anyway I ordered two this time so one be on the shelf for the next failure.

Hardluck

Threads
You should have the manual the it came with. If, not, find one online. Mine shows all the parts and where they are located, however yours is 15 years old.
Let me do an update,

I have been out of service (personally) since my last post. But here is my latest.

I have down loaded the lightning 2009 manual but it does not have , or I can not locate it. The PTO switch assy or fasteners that hold the plate. I have tried all of the torx and drivers that I have and nothing fits the screws. Can you get me the correct tool that I need to take of the plate that has the PTO ,deck and ignition switch on it.
Or some other way to get to it so I can test it.
The manual sucks and BAD BOY never called me back. Surprise surprise.
I have bypassed the seat switch and it starts and runs fine, like I said until I pull the PTO switch.

Just another comment from my last event like this.
The same thing but the battery was low on voltage and that prevented the PTO switch from working properly. NEW battery fixed the issue. Not the issue now, (wish it was that was an easy fix).

Hardluck

Threads
When will mower owners learn that there is many different mowers out there and many different ways of wiring them? We must have the equipment make and model at least. And please be aware some of us don't the time to dig your old posts just to guess what mower you currently working on.

Yes multiple failures can happen at the same time or cascade failures.

Just to give an idea here is what is currently in my small shop for repairs.
View attachment 68278
And Yes I know a Z925A has been in the shop for a long time. At least the customer has two other ZTRs that are his primaries mowers. Weather and health has delayed getting it out but it should out in a week. Nearly fully reassembled but rain is holding me off now.

And it appears the new style ignition JD is using has a high failure rate. I done found two in less than a year. This AUC18708 switcNice list of broken mowers.

No Badboys, Do you choose not to work on Badboys? I know they fail a lot.

Hardluck

Threads
I would first try to see if the brake switch is sticky by spraying with WD40, or something similar, then pushing the switch with your finger a few times. If that didn't help, I would check the switch with a multi meter. To check the switch, you would need to follow the wires or find a schematic. Another way is to disconnect the switch and try two things. One is to let it stay open (no switch connected), and the second is to close the circuit with a wire directly from on input to another. One should allow the blades to work and the other would not. That would at least verify the switch.
Just asking... how could it be the brake switch if it starts and I don't move the brake lever? It wouldn't start if the brake switch was bad... would it?