Engine dies when I engage the blades???

Hardluck

Threads
2009 Lightning BadBoy with 32 hours on it. Yes really only 32 hours.

Mowed and worked fine last time I used it, a week ago. Now when I start the engine and then pull the switch to engage the blades the engine dies like a kill switch has been tripped.

The brake is off, the handles are in centered or even I am moving forward and the engine stops immediately. Engine RPM 3300. So there should be enough power to keep it running.

How I locate and test the safety switches or better, can I bypass then to verify them.

Thank you,

Bertrrr

Threads
Sounds like a safety switch , you'll need to bypass at least the blade engagement switch -

Hardluck

Threads
Thank you, can you post or PM the way to to that, please?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I imagine its still under warranty if you have one. sounds a like a problem for the dealer to me. don't start bypassing stuff if it is under warranty.
You'll either get hurt or void the warranty. or both.

Hardluck

Threads
It would be great if it was under warranty but itis a 2009 model.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh darn, somehow i read right over the 2009 part. 😒😒

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TH switch is under the seat
If it is a 2 pin switch then either it needs to be jumped or unpluged
If it is a 4 pin flat plug then it can not be bypassed so you buy a new one, clamp it down & plug it in
Problem goes away = bad switch
Problem stays = bad wirings & you now have a spare switch .

Hardluck

Threads
Here is my final post concerning this issue.

After it was all said and done. it was the battery!! Go figure!!! how could the battery cause it? Well it turns out the the PTO has to have constant 12v running thru it to keep it engaged.

I thought that I would past this on hoping that it will help others fighting the same issue.

I will say the battery was totally off of my radar!

bnicol456

Forum Newbie
Threads
2009 Lightning BadBoy with 32 hours on it. Yes really only 32 hours.

Mowed and worked fine last time I used it, a week ago. Now when I start the engine and then pull the switch to engage the blades the engine dies like a kill switch has been tripped.

The brake is off, the handles are in centered or even I am moving forward and the engine stops immediately. Engine RPM 3300. So there should be enough power to keep it running.

How I locate and test the safety switches or better, can I bypass then to verify them.

Thank you,
I would first try to see if the brake switch is sticky by spraying with WD40, or something similar, then pushing the switch with your finger a few times. If that didn't help, I would check the switch with a multi meter. To check the switch, you would need to follow the wires or find a schematic. Another way is to disconnect the switch and try two things. One is to let it stay open (no switch connected), and the second is to close the circuit with a wire directly from on input to another. One should allow the blades to work and the other would not. That would at least verify the switch.

Hardluck

Threads
It was the battery. The switch needs 12 volt to stay engaged