Edelbrock Electric Fuel Pump For IS3000Z

NeonDion

Threads
Watch this. This gives you a idea how the pulse fuel pumps work.
That vacuum hose is a key to getting the fuel to the carburetor. Follow the video and check out the pump. You could still have a bad pump. The vacuum hose needs to be in good shape and connected at both ends.I would do my best to make it work before mounting an electric fuel pump.
Thanks for the tips, I will try again. One last question though. Is putting a electric pump bad for this motor, carb etc. just curious? The guy who recommended this pump is the mechanic for a large landscape company who has around 50 machine out there and has run into this before on a couple of XMarks.
I just do not want to damage the engine in the long run. I really appreciate the help and suggestions as I am just an average handy homeowner.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem with an electric pump could be too much fuel being delivered to the carburetor. The pressure and flow rate is dramatically higher with that particular electric fuel pump.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you go with an electric fuel pump, need to find something that is less than 5 psi if possible. They make pumps that are 1.5-4 psi if you know what you are looking for. I have a local auto parts store that stocks the low pressure pump. Around $50 if I remember correctly.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you go with an electric fuel pump, need to find something that is less than 5 psi if possible. They make pumps that are 1.5-4 psi if you know what you are looking for. I have a local auto parts store that stocks the low pressure pump. Around $50 if I remember correctly.
So true! That Edelbrock is pushing too much fuel per hour and at a higher psi.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry, yes it’s has a vacuum operated pump. Guessing the vacuum is not powerful enough anymore and do not want to tear apart whole engine to see why, it does have air pushing out of vacuum hose but guessing not enough to push diaphragm. Runs great when it was working and only has 587 hrs. On it for a 2004.
Hours mean nothing. Same as a "new" part means nothing.

A fuel pump from 2004 has had fuel in it since then = many years. Any E-10 in it since 2004?

Tear down the whole engine? I'm puzzled unless your fuel pump is inside the engine crankcase??

NeonDion

Threads
The problem with an electric pump could be too much fuel being delivered to the carburetor. The pressure and flow rate is dramatically higher with that particular electric fuel pump.
On the tearing down engine thing, I meant I would probably have to tear into the engine to find out why the vacuum line is not activating the current pulse FP, thinking something is cause a lower air pressure. Can I put compressed air in the vac vent on engine to see if an obstruction?
So maybe a lower 1-3 psi electric pump model could be used if the Ferris replacement pulse pump still does not activate and release fuel?
No E10 fuel has ever been used in it. I do understand that the higher pressure could cause flooding the carb with to much fuel and I would not want to damage the carb in the long run.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the tearing down engine thing, I meant I would probably have to tear into the engine to find out why the vacuum line is not activating the current pulse FP, thinking something is cause a lower air pressure. Can I put compressed air in the vac vent on engine to see if an obstruction?
So maybe a lower 1-3 psi electric pump model could be used if the Ferris replacement pulse pump still does not activate and release fuel?
No E10 fuel has ever been used in it. I do understand that the higher pressure could cause flooding the carb with to much fuel and I would not want to damage the carb in the long run.
The fuel flow is regullated by the float & float valve
The maximum down pressure the float needed can push on the seat is quite small
If the supply pressure is too high it will just force the needle up and push the float down .
Because there is no overflow any more the fuel level will rise till the fuel flows out the venturii tube.

No impulse signal is only cause by a few things
1) piston not moving
2) hole in piston
3) Blown head gasket
4) failed crankcase breather
5) excessive wear in the piston rings

All of the above will have other symptoms

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Kubota Z in the shop right now that the owner says needs another fuel pump. He replaced the pickup tube in the tank and the fuel line from the tank to the pump. This mower has a plastic shut off valve on the pickup to the tank. It was clogged with grass. Sucked on the fuel line and intermittently it would act like a check valve. 100 psi fixed it.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trace that pulse line to where it connects to the engine for vacuum. You need to determine if the line is clear, connected and in good shape.

NeonDion

Threads
Trace that pulse line to where it connects to the engine for vacuum. You need to determine if the line is clear, connected and in good shape.
Sounds like the plan, thanks again for your expertise, advice and feedback.