Echo or Stihl??? which do u prefer

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo here.

My chainsaw has been absolutely trouble-free for 5 years now. When I was 17 (21 years ago), I worked in a cemetary doing trimming around the stones. We used Echo exclusively, and I think they still use the same trimmers! Well, maybe not, but they were 7 years old when I got there, and they worked without a hitch always. That's why I went Echo for my chainsaw.

My dad has a Stihl saw, and he likes it - but not as much as his old (early 80's) Partner saw!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Problem I have with Echo is that since they bought out Shindaiwa it seems that there prices have gone crazy. There prices are higher than the Stihl products. As I said in my previous post I'm looking to replace an echo trimmer and I want something that has a good size motor and the largest Echo has is there 280T which is 28.1cc and it cost $389.99 now consider that I can buy the Stihl FS 130 with a 36.3cc motor for $399.95, which are you going to buy? :rolleyes:

I think the choice is simple enough and it's the same with the edgers, Echo's PE 280 $409.99, Stihl's FC-90 is $289.95 and both have 28cc motors. As some have said they would put them equal I guess it would have to be a loyalty thing to buy one over the other because if it comes down to money there is no choice.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The question was which do you prefer.

Therefore, it IS all about loyalty. If you are loyal to your dollars, I'm sure Craftsman has some stuff that meets your cc requirements, Ric.

Jetblast

Threads
If displacement were everything, Porsche and Ferrari would have no reputation whatsoever.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not just about displacement and Owning a Porsche or Ferrari is all about prestige and although loyalty is a fine thing, today it's about getting the most bang for the $$$$$. Yes you can buy the same size motors through Sears and Home Depot or Lowes but everyone screams Don't buy from department or big box stores because it's not the same as you buy from a dealer, Ya'll need to make up your minds. :confused2:
If I buy hand held equipment, I want something I know is going to work when I go to use it thanks. The point I was trying to make is that you get more for your money buying Stihl Products than Echo. :smile:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's your preference. That's okay. I prefer Echo. That's okay, too. :wink:

And I have NEVER said to not buy from a big box store - in fact, I have always defended people who do AGAINST those who hate BBS........:tongue:

CompactTractorFan

Threads
We have both an Echo trimmer and a Sthil chainsaw...Both are good units, although the saw is in a pile of parts under the workbench after taking it apart due to "maintenance"...:rolleyes:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

benski

Threads
I'll take Echo or Stihl over any other brands I have tried so far. I've got an Echo string trimmer that's 23 years old and working great, and a 17 year old Stihl chainsaw that has done yeoman duty. That being said, I've used synthetic lube in both of them since I've owned them, and I wouldn't change a thing.:biggrin::cool: If pinned down to one brand, I think I like the "feel" of the Echo products just a bit more than the Stihl.

Threads
Everything I own is echo, that's two trimmers, one edger, one blower, and one chainsaw. Love them all and never had any problem with them. Just curious what everyone liked and preferred. Good topix you know