Dry grass

Grasstrology

Threads
My front yard has a section that's completely dry. I was wondering if fertilizer would work to revive the grass, or if I should just go out to buy some seed and reseed the section?

possum

Threads
I do not think fertilizer will revive dead or near dead or dormant grass. Cooler temperatures or warmer ones depending on the season and water does if the grass is still alive. If not, your seeding idea will be the answer.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
My front yard has a section that's completely dry. I was wondering if fertilizer would work to revive the grass, or if I should just go out to buy some seed and reseed the section?

Not sure of your climate zone. But in hot dry seasons most grasses will go dormant. It will appear dead but is actually dormant. A good easy way to know if it's dead or just dormant is give it a little tug if it just pull off without any roots it dead.

The summer heat is actually harder on your turf the winter. If you choose to reseed try and hold off until October. The fall is wet and mild season and will allow the new seed to sprout and take root before spring. The snow will actually act as an insulator for the new grass. Good luck and remember its that time of year for the grass to start browning some especially in areas with direct sunlight and little rain.

jenkinsph

Threads
Sounds like a combination of too little water and summer sun imo. I agree with the above about the grass going dormant in summer due to heat stress. watering deep at night should help with less evaporation.

Grasstrology

Threads
Alright thanks for the information. I guess my grass is dormant since roots come out with the grass, so I probably wont bother with reseeding then, I'll just pay more attention to watering next season

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
It's pretty common in the climate zone 6 or Midwest for the grass to go dormant this time of year. Fertilization and iron early on could have prolonged your grass staying green a few more weeks, but water is the crucial ingredient. It's completely up to you but with your turf going dormant early i would put down a granular high in nitrogen about mid September then over seed the first of October. You'd be surprised at what your yard will look like next spring.

We bought a house last summer and the yard was bare or broad leaf weeds. I sprayed herbicide, fertilized and then over seeded a few weeks later and just left it all winter. I'll attach an after picture and it gets driven on all the time with my trucks and trailers.

image-2113243913.jpg

Grasstrology

Threads
Nice yard wish mine looked like that. One quick question, I live in Vancouver where it gets to atleast 25 degrees Celsius everyday with no rain. How much water should I give my grass, and for how long each interval?

sgmgarden

Threads
As strange as it sounds, you don't need to water your lawn as much as you may think. You should try to water your lawn at times when it will soak in more, such as early in the morning or later at night. It will be more beneficial for your lawn if you water it only once or twice a week when it is dry. If you have a well fed and maintained lawn, it will allow it to have a deeper root system which will mean it will be able to cope with and recover from any dry spells that occur.

Grasstrology

Threads
Thanks sgm. Would it be possible that my grass went dormant because I over watered? I watered my grass every two days for one hour each

panabiker

Threads
There may be other reasons, fungus, acidity, lack of nutrients, insects? The "summer heat" in Vancouver is like September weather in eastern US, ideal for cool season grass. It may be worthwhile to have your soil tested. Does UBS or SFU have something like agricultural extension program that provide soil test service? I went to UBC in late 1990s but was not interested in lawn at all.