Drum Mower

gfp55

Threads
How many members here have ever used a drum mower? They use low HP to cut tall grass/weeds/fields. It can cut hip high grass/weeds easily at 10 mph. I cut 5 acres of hip high grass at about 10 mph in just over 2 hours. I'm very happy with this drum mower.

gfp55

Threads
So none of you "Pro's" know what a drum mower is? Maybe it's because you guy's are smaller and don't deal in the big stuff, I understand. Does anyone cut fields or empty lots with overgrown grass? Does anyone use a bush hog for big overgrown lots?

Jack17

Threads
My primary riding mower got 9HP motor with 30 deck on it. My earth-moving equipment is a hand operated shovel. "Bike" I normally ride in the summer got two pedals attached to it. As you can clearly see I ain't no lawn pro!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drum mowers are used by farmers around here to cut fields of alfalfa, or Bermuda for hay. Usually mounted on the back of a 3 point hitch on a tractor and pto driven. It leaves the stalk long for baling. I doubt many lawn pros have much need for a drum mower. And yes, I bush hog our horse and cow pastures. I also bush hog cotton stalks aftr the cotton is harvested to prevent boll weevils. Most on this site don't use larger farm tractors. I guess there are probably smaller drum mowers, but there wouldn't be enough need for a lawn pro to purchase one.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm seeing it as a maintenance nightmare.

They aren't too bad. They throw a blade every now and then. Just like anything else, as long as you keep them greased and don't hit the ground with them too much they hold up ok.