Export thread

Drum Mower

gfp55

gfp55

How many members here have ever used a drum mower? They use low HP to cut tall grass/weeds/fields. It can cut hip high grass/weeds easily at 10 mph. I cut 5 acres of hip high grass at about 10 mph in just over 2 hours. I'm very happy with this drum mower.

gfp55

gfp55

So none of you "Pro's" know what a drum mower is? Maybe it's because you guy's are smaller and don't deal in the big stuff, I understand. Does anyone cut fields or empty lots with overgrown grass? Does anyone use a bush hog for big overgrown lots?

J

Jack17

My primary riding mower got 9HP motor with 30 deck on it. My earth-moving equipment is a hand operated shovel. "Bike" I normally ride in the summer got two pedals attached to it. As you can clearly see I ain't no lawn pro!

Boobala

Boobala

So none of you "Pro's" know what a drum mower is? Maybe it's because you guy's are smaller and don't deal in the big stuff, I understand. Does anyone cut fields or empty lots with overgrown grass? Does anyone use a bush hog for big overgrown lots?

For all members interested , .....https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...v&sa=X&ei=plFfVfj3HMmxsAT8zoC4Bw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Guess we've been educated for today !!!! .....:2cents:

S

Shughes717

Drum mowers are used by farmers around here to cut fields of alfalfa, or Bermuda for hay. Usually mounted on the back of a 3 point hitch on a tractor and pto driven. It leaves the stalk long for baling. I doubt many lawn pros have much need for a drum mower. And yes, I bush hog our horse and cow pastures. I also bush hog cotton stalks aftr the cotton is harvested to prevent boll weevils. Most on this site don't use larger farm tractors. I guess there are probably smaller drum mowers, but there wouldn't be enough need for a lawn pro to purchase one.

S

SeniorCitizen

I'm seeing it as a maintenance nightmare.

S

Shughes717

They aren't too bad. They throw a blade every now and then. Just like anything else, as long as you keep them greased and don't hit the ground with them too much they hold up ok.

S

SeniorCitizen

Are they worm gear drive after the PTO?

S

Shughes717

Are they worm gear drive after the PTO?

pto shaft connects to gear boxes on the ones we use. similar to gear boxes on a bush hog.

S

SeniorCitizen

probably bevel geared.

S

Shughes717

probably bevel geared.

I tried to pull I schematic of a gear box assembly like the ones we use and paste it on here, but was unable to do so. There are bevel gears in the assembly.

gfp55

gfp55

You may need glasses, because they are not. All you need is a grease gun and to use the one tool that comes attached to the machine to change the blades.

gfp55

gfp55

S

SeniorCitizen

Sure I need and wear glasses and I'd like to see that field after it has been baled. Tornadoes have made cleaner cuts than that. LMAO

S

Shughes717

Sure I need and wear glasses and I'd like to see that field after it has been baled. Tornadoes have made cleaner cuts than that. LMAO

These mowers are designed to make wind rows for baling. It will look bad until the cut grass is baled. It does great for its intended purpose, but not really a piece of equipment lawn care professionals would consider useful.