Drive pulley replacement help needed- rear axle pulley

bkm48198

Threads
  • / Drive pulley replacement help needed- rear axle pulley
I have an older model riding mower and the rear drive pulley needs to be replaced, I bought a new pulley and removed the retaining ring but the outer part of the pulley rusted off the shaft and came loose when I tried to see if it would just pull off, it didn't. There is a piece that is not square but close that looks like it needs to come off but I don't know how it comes off. The model is 917252500 and the diagram does not show it listed for this model, how does it come off ? Also under it the shaft is similar to the nut/ spacer that I can't get off, almost square but all 4 points are different and it is kind of scalloped in between the points. Any help would be appreciated..........................................................................................................................................................................................OK, I just went to youtube and watched a video, it looks like the stock pulley has the odd shaped center section ( kind of square but not round like the replacement pulley I bought) so I just have to pull it off the transaxle..........what is the best way to pull that pulley off and can it be done while still on the tractor or do I need to pull the transaxle? I have a torch and will try heating it up and using a gear puller to get it off the shaft tomorrow unless someone has a better way to do it.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I understanding this, the pulley hub is still there and needs to come off.

I've cut a slot in them with a Dremel tool and a nylon reinforced cut off wheel, wedged the slot open and taken them off. If you have a way to avoid too much heat transferring down the shaft and into the transaxle you could just cut a side off of the hub down nearly to the shaft with your cutting torch. I've done bearing inner races that way on 2-1/2" shafts.

bkm48198

Threads
If I understanding this, the pulley hub is still there and needs to come off.

I've cut a slot in them with a Dremel tool and a nylon reinforced cut off wheel, wedged the slot open and taken them off. If you have a way to avoid too much heat transferring down the shaft and into the transaxle you could just cut a side off of the hub down nearly to the shaft with your cutting torch. I've done bearing inner races that way on 2-1/2" shafts.

Thanks, it was the hub that I needed to get off, I used a little heat and a gear puller and it came off fairly easy. I put on the new pulley but did not have a retainer clip to put back on it so the pulley is just sitting on the shaft lined up with the key until I can get the retainer clip. I tried it just to see if it seemed ok and got some noise from the transaxle and it seemed to act like the brake was engaging, it would go them act like it had no power then jerk ahead. It was a bit dark out so I couldn't see what was happening very well, I'm not sure if the pulley is rubbing on something or what is happening but something else is wrong. It was fine before the pulley swap, I just noticed the top lip of the pulley was rusted away and missing a few inches of the top lip.