Do You Mow Wet Grass?

Zeroturner

Threads
If so, other than possible clumping on underside of the deck or slipping on slopes is there any other reason not to?

Or if it is O.K. to cut wet grass, are there any particulars to be observed, i.e. raise deck higher than you would prefer or some such?

Why do I ask?

In the past, I've waited til mid-afternoon to mow allowing the grass to dry before mowing.

Well, I'm getting a bit on in years and mowing in the hottest part of the day in the Texas summer heat is a killer. I'd like to start in the morning, but of course that means the grass is still wet with dew...

Thanks!

Nwatson99

Threads
I avoid mowing wet grass if at all possible.
1. You will have grass sticking to the underneath of the deck and I do not care what deck you have.
2. I have seen folks hurt their yard mowing it wet with dew and then days of bright sunshine follows.
3. Yes any wet slopes mowers will slip and slide it is just nature, unless you have one of those 8 wheel AWD mowers, I know just in passing a couple of folks that have them some of the bigger farms and they said the wet slopes from the dew does not make a difference with those mowers.
4. The discharge is altered and the grass clumps up big time, hence if so thick it could kill the grass.

On the real hot days I only mow in the evening time until dark, but at dark or after the dew is coming on so fast you cannot mow at night time here now or it is just like mowing during the morning dew.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If so, other than possible clumping on underside of the deck or slipping on slopes is there any other reason not to?

Or if it is O.K. to cut wet grass, are there any particulars to be observed, i.e. raise deck higher than you would prefer or some such?

Why do I ask?

In the past, I've waited til mid-afternoon to mow allowing the grass to dry before mowing.

Well, I'm getting a bit on in years and mowing in the hottest part of the day in the Texas summer heat is a killer. I'd like to start in the morning, but of course that means the grass is still wet with dew...

Thanks!
Mow more often when mowing wet and avoid the heat and dust . Both you and your engine will like the early morning temperatures better. If the grass is wet enough the deck is nearly self cleaning. What doesn't come out with the water mist while mowing can easily be rinsed out with a garden hose. Be certain to clean the deck underside after each mowing and it works just fine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Why do I ask?

Thanks!

Mowing in the wet is something that you can't really get away from if your a mowing business. I start at 7:00 to 7:30 am and it's wet every morning if not from rain, dew and humidity then people watering earlier in the morning. There's no rule that says grass need to be dry before mowing. Slow your mowing pace a little and you should be fine. What Toro are you using.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Toro MX5060

If your using the MX5060 you shouldn't have any issues mowing wet that's a good mower. I'd check and see about getting some Gator Blades, G3 or maybe the G5 if they have them would be better. The G5 will have a finer grass discharge.

Zeroturner

Threads
Ric,

Thanks for the great tip on mower blades.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Why do I ask?

Thanks!
Have you considered waiting until late afternoon when the temperature begins to drop?? Of course, you may have to put some lights on that MX5060 if you start too late and run into some darkness(for < $40 there are a couple of options in the following thread:0)

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/18564-ztr-light-kit.html

I try to avoid mowing wet grass like a plague!!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Waiting until evening when the temperature cools is a laugh in TX :laughing: unless you're in the panhandle around Dalhart with a dew point temperature of about 30ー. For the most part at 10:00 pm the ambient temp. could still be around 90 and taller grass may still be damp down deep.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a canopy and a 12volt fan. Or just start cutting at 6am.