Do you have to be a mechanic to own small engines?

briggs

Threads
  • / Do you have to be a mechanic to own small engines?
Agreed, just sharing my OPE fuel practices. I add SeaFoam each time I refill my red OPE gas containers, not just before seasonal storage.

that's a good idea to ..I like that :thumbsup:

Woody71

Threads
I add my stabilizer before pumping the gas in my cans. I keep 10 gallons stored at all times.
That's what I do as well. On another note, I did have an issue with my blower this season. It was fuel related but not in the sense that we're discussing here. It would rev down a bit at full throttle and die when I released the trigger. Ended up that the H/L carb mixture screws needed adjustment. Runs better than new since they were adjusted. They're set very lean due to EPA regulations. Also, the mixture screws require a special tool to adjust. Could be that my mixture is a bit richer than what it was when I first bought the blower (I've changed to using Lucas semi-syn 2-stroke oil with 2/oz per gallon SeaFoam).

briggs

Threads
That's what I do as well. On another note, I did have an issue with my blower this season. It was fuel related but not in the sense that we're discussing here. It would rev down a bit at full throttle and die when I released the trigger. Ended up that the H/L carb mixture screws needed adjustment. Runs better than new since they were adjusted. They're set very lean due to EPA regulations. Also, the mixture screws require a special tool to adjust. Could be that my mixture is a bit richer than what it was when I first bought the blower (I've changed to using Lucas semi-syn 2-stroke oil with 2/oz per gallon SeaFoam).

let me guess a little Toro 2 stroke

briggs

Threads

SRJMow

Threads
No, you do not have to be a mechanic to own a small engine, although it would not hurt :smile:
When I bought my first house I ran into the same problems you are experiencing. Most of the problems you are having are probably due to not using up your gas within 30 days or improperly storing your equipment. As a result you have been having fuel related problems (fuel lines, carburetor). I learned by making the same mistakes, in other words the hard way. :ashamed: Your best friend is your owner's manual. Required reading should be the maintenance and storage sections. Most users quickly read the part about setting up their equipment, and how to use it and never get around to reading the rest of the manual.
Also, the quality of your equipment is important. In general equipment that is cheaply manufactured without good quality control will not last as long as commercial grade or higher end consumer grade equipment. But even the very best equipment will quickly malfunction if not maintained properly. If you buy equipment that is of high enough quality to do the job you need done then you should not have to take it to a mechanic as often, or end up fixing it yourself as often. And that will save you a lot of time and money. Another alternative is to hire someone to mow your lawn, remove your leaves, remove your snow and so on. I did my own lawn work for the first six or seven years. Once I started working over 50 hours a week I had to hire someone to mow the lawn. When I retired seven years ago I went back to mowing my own lawn, and purchased a snowblower three years ago to clear my driveway. Every year I get better at maintaining my equipment, and as a result I have had fewer problems to deal with, and my expenses have been reduced.

PS: This forum is a great place to get tips on maintenance, repair, and suggestions on buying the right equipment for the job that needs to be done.

Good luck!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am mechanic and do my own work. Yes if you let the gas set for several years it will go bad. I just don't see where things go bad by just letting a peace of equipment set for one season. When I get done with the mower or snow blower at the end of the season I just turn the key off. When I go to start then at the beginning of the season they start. I have to some times give them a shot of starting fluid but they run just fine after they start. I don't use special gas or additives. Just could it be that all the additives and your high test special gas you keep putting into your equipment be causing all your problem's? Things I do are change oil, all filters and any lines that look old and cracked once a season which I call maintenance.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel will go off after approx 30 days.
Its not the liquid from fuel that burns but the vapors that ignite.
After 30 days the vapours basically die down.
Fuel mixed in the summer is less volatile than fuel mixed for winter.
Ethanol being alcohol attracts moisture which is why water can be found in the system.
Small engines can take upto approx 15% ethanol mixed in the fuel but anymore and plastic starts to melt.
The water then corrodes any metals in the fuel system.
Iv seen fuel go off after 30 days and cause problems but then Im the same as anybody else and usually use the year before fuel and the mower fires up after so many pulls.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what anyone else pays for gas, but I have to pay almost 4 dollars a gallon. I sure am not going to throw it out after it sets for 30 days when everything I own just runs just fine with it. But do what makes you feel good. My next question is what do you do with this 30 day old gas, pour it on the ground ??? or pay more money to get rid of it?