Cub Cadet SC900 Self Propelled no start

jb2873

Threads
I lined up the flywheel magnet with the new coil and set airgap at .008

The coil I received from Cubcadet looks slightly different and it's a briggs part. Can a briggs coil cross over to a Cubcadet sc900 motor? Maybe that's the problem? If it won't cross over, then someone at the parts counter needs a lesson in manufacture parts compatibility. I took pics of mower, as well as pic of serial number so i could show parts counter. She was quick to hand me the briggs coil....🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried starting the unit with the kill wire at the coil disconnected at the coil? If you get spark the kill wire is shorted somewhere.

jb2873

Threads
Have you tried starting the unit with the kill wire at the coil disconnected at the coil? If you get spark the kill wire is shorted somewhere.
I have...I even had to build my own kill wire when installing the new coil (the new coil was a briggs part from cubcadet and it didn't come with a preattached kill wire). I checked continuity of my new homemade wire and the end connectors, and all is good.
I'm wondering if cubcadet gave me the wrong coil, a briggs coil for cubcadet motor? They had the motor serial # as well as pics I took of mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What numbskull dealer are you buying parts from? Of course a Briggs coil will not work on a MTD engine correctly..

The 2019 SC900 had a MTD 5X70AU engine; not a Briggs engine.

Reverett

Threads
I rotated the flywheel to the magnet points then used a feeler gauge to set gap. I think that's how it should be......?
Correct. Should be set to .02-.04mm

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This thread is so confusing I don’t know if I could fix your unit if I followed all the DIY posts given. I just reread this entire thread, particularly those posts by the OP, and 2+2=? To the OP, your troubleshooting procedure and throwing parts at this unit don’t make a lot of sense. On top of that many have chimed in with suggestions which only hurt your chances of solving the problem. If I were you and you really want to solve this problem, I suggest you start over. First, get a great understanding of how the ignition systems works and how the kill system works. Until you know this, you are just hurting your chances of being successful. Second, take all your engine and unit numbers to a different dealer and have them look up the coil part number. Better yet, take the entire unit to the dealer so there is no questions that you gave them the wrong numbers. As Star said, that is not a Briggs engine, so a Briggs coil will not work. That dealer is just a DIY idiot. Third, after you have the correct coil, install it will a .010” air gap and no kill wire attached. If at this point you have no spark, it is time to have a good technician fix the problem. I’m will to bet that if I or Star were to have this unit in front of us, we would be able to fix the problem in less than 30 minutes. Ball is in your court as how you want to proceed.

jb2873

Threads
What numbskull dealer are you buying parts from? Of course a Briggs coil will not work on a MTD engine correctly..

The 2019 SC900 had a MTD 5X70AU engine; not a Briggs engine.
LOL well I assumed since I gave them the serial number, as well as an overall pic of the sc900 mower, the Cubcadet dealer would know exactly what the h*ll part to give me. You know what they say when you assume............I thought maybe the coil was a crossover part.
Come Monday morning, I'll be having a conversation with the young lady who sold this part.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nevermind just a Space Cadet salesperson. I got a couple of those I deal with at the distributors here too.

What I am going by is the model serial number you posted of the engine. The engine was produced Nov 13, 2018 but is considered a 2019 engine and was 82nd engine built on the 1st shift.

5X70AU/1811131A0082

Decoder
1705242182840.png

BTW the ignition coil is PN 925-07165 with a suggest retail of $76.98 per my distributor. O f course an after market is cheaper but it is also a crap shot.

Last edited:

jb2873

Threads
Nevermind just a Space Cadet salesperson. I got a couple of those I deal with at the distributors here too.

What I am going by is the model serial number you posted of the engine. The engine was produced Nov 13, 2018 but is considered a 2019 engine and was 82nd engine built on the 1st shift.

5X70AU/1811131A0082

Decoder
View attachment 67622

BTW the ignition coil is PN 925-07165 with a suggest retail of $76.98 per my distributor. O f course an after market is cheaper but it is also a crap shot.

Wow thanks for all that info!
Yes, space cadet is a nice way to describe her.... I'll be visiting them bright & early Tuesday morning to get this all straightened out. I'll report back once I have the correct part in hand.
Thanks !

Threads
Most ladies behind the counter have never worked on a small engine, which is a bad start right off the bat! They are trained by the owner who doesn't want to pay a decent wage for an experienced technician. He just reaches her what websites to look up parts on and puts her behind the counter.
Here's where your compassion comes in ! She is trying to do her best to not only help you ,but also help her husband put food on the table for her kids. Your response could greatly help this lady from making the same mistake for someone else. I know getting the wrong part further complicates your effort,but try to overcome your frustration and help her learn more about coils than she obviously knows. Remember she was trying to help you, but she made a mistake as we all do on occasions.
I think getting the right coil will solve your dilemma. Good luck on fixing your mower,Pete's small engine repair