Cub Cadet adds setting tracking cookies on LMF

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Folks,
I'm disappointed that LMF has an advertiser that has taken the liberty to set tracking cookies when logging onto this site. One of the reasons that I liked LMF was no tracking cookies, but now that has changed. Many companys have violated the basic rules regarding tracking/roaming cookies this year and set them into the document files of every ones computer who has logged onto LMF. I feel that this practice violates the privacy of all members and guests of this site and I am requesting that the administrator(s) of LMF ask their advertisers to stop this practice.
Mad Mackie in CT

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Folks,
I'm disappointed that LMF has an advertiser that has taken the liberty to set tracking cookies when logging onto this site. One of the reasons that I liked LMF was no tracking cookies, but now that has changed. Many companys have violated the basic rules regarding tracking/roaming cookies this year and set them into the document files of every ones computer who has logged onto LMF. I feel that this practice violates the privacy of all members and guests of this site and I am requesting that the administrator(s) of LMF ask their advertisers to stop this practice.
Mad Mackie in CT

I'm a Cub cadet fan but I'm not a fan of advertisers and advertisements but I'm guessing that CC is paying someone a tidy sum for all the advertising that's being done here on LMF. That said these tracking cookies you mentioned, just what do they do. Is it what I think they do ? explain please.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do a google search for both tracking cookies and roaming cookies. My virus software permits me to stop tracking and roaming cookies and puts them in a isolated file. With several steps I can dispose of them to the recycle bin and delete them. I have no hearburn with CC however as I just logged on their logo was at the top of the page and three tracking cookies were set. I get a dropdown from my antivirus program showing the cookies and asking me what to do with them. When computers slow down, cookies are one of the reasons. My former Windows 98 and XP both would slow down to a crawl or just crash from cookie overload. Another problem is "right media" check this out in a google search, this is spywhere and can lead to more security problems on your computer.

Last edited:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Cookies are commonly used to rotate ads that a site displays. You will find this on almost every website that displays advertising. In the case of the cub cadet ads, there are third party cookies issued from the ad server that displays those ads.

On LMF and our other sites, we have served many ad campaigns for equipment manufacturers, and using cookies to track ads is a common practice and one that is essential to delivering the ads. Without cookies there would be no way to know how effective the ads are.

Cookies are not necessarily a bad thing. The tracking you mention in this case is the tracking of ad views, clicks, and information available from your IP address. It's 100% anonymous and not linked to your LMF user account or e-mail address in any way.

Of course, if you want to disable cookies, you can do that---but you won't be able to keep your login active.

Since LMF is a 100% free site, we have to pay the bills by selling advertising. :smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell us what pointroll, ad yieldmanager, and similar roaming cookies are and what they do to ones computer.
Pointroll was just set as I logged on, but at least my system identifys and isolates them so I can control them.
These are very different cookies from the type set to recall ones name and password as to where they get stored and effect they have on ones computer system.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
This is from PointRoll's privacy statement. Please note that the Cub Cadet ads do not collect personally identifiable information so those sections don't apply.

PointRoll may collect and store non-personally identifiable information that is generated automatically as a user views or interacts with advertisements created by PointRoll appearing on other websites ("PointRoll Ads"). At the request of advertisers, PointRoll may also assist in the collection of non-personally identifiable information by third parties conducting research. In certain cases, at the request of an advertiser, PointRoll may collect personally identifiable information supplied by users within a PointRoll Ad. The information (including personally identifiable information) PointRoll collects may be collected directly by PointRoll or it may be collected by a third party on PointRoll's behalf. PointRoll Ads are delivered via P3P-compliant servers that communicate the details of this practice to P3P-enabled web browsers such as Internet Explorer 6.0.

Use of Information Collected within PointRoll Ads. PointRoll may use non-personally identifying information collected within PointRoll Ads, such as that which may be derived from a variety of technologies and practices including PointRoll's browser cookies or third party's browser cookies, to improve the user experience, including to better direct ads to specific types of visitors, and/or to measure the effectiveness of these advertisements for the advertiser.

In most cases, any personally identifying information that is collected from a PointRoll Ad is provided directly to the advertiser or its authorized service provider and is not used by PointRoll for any other purpose. This information is used for the purpose that is identified by the advertiser within the advertisement in which the data is being supplied or as established within that advertiser's privacy policy. In some cases, information (including personally identifying information) that is supplied by users within a PointRoll Ad for use of services of a third-party (for example, supply of userid and password for use of Twitter) is provided directly to the third party, and is not stored by either PointRoll or the publisher's site on which the advertisement is displayed. This information too is used for the purpose that is identified by the third party within the advertisement in which the data is being supplied or as established within that third party's privacy policy. When an advertiser requests that PointRoll assist it in collecting personally identifying information supplied by users within a PointRoll Ad, PointRoll collects such information which the advertiser may use for the purposes identified within the advertisement (e.g., to provide the user with requested goods, services, or information).

When parties other than PointRoll collect information, the privacy policies of that party apply. Some of these third parties are advertising service providers who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). A user can obtain information about these advertising service providers' information collection practices, and opt out of such practices (and at the same time opt out of the collection practices of other, or all, NAI members) by following the opt out instructions on the NAI's website at Network Advertising Initiative. You can learn more about ad choices at THE SELF-REGULATORY PROGRAM FOR ONLINE BEHAVIORAL ADVERTISING | www.aboutads.info.

If a user does not wish personally identifiable information to be used for the purposes stated here, send a letter to the contact information below. If a user would like to Opt-Out of the non-personally identifying cookies that PointRoll may use, the user can click on the Opt-Out link below. To Opt-In after having Opted-Out, simply click the Opt-In link below.

Note: This Opt-Out process provides an opt-out cookie to the user's browser. Therefore, if cookies are disabled, erased, or altered, or browser and/or machine software is changed, then the results of this opt-out process may be undone, and the Opt-Out will need to be performed again.

Alternatively, the user's web browser may allow a user to disable cookies. To disable cookies using Internet Explorer, select "Internet Options" under the Tools menu and click on "Privacy." Select "High" or "Block All Cookies." To disable cookies using Mozilla Firefox, select "Options" under the "Tools" menu. Adobe's Flash Player Settings Manager allows you to customize the websites which you allow to use local storage ("Flash Cookies"). If a user chooses to disable cookies, a user may not be able to use or participate in some or all of the features offered through the PointRoll Ads.

Depending on the user's individual browser settings, some anti-spyware software programs may erroneously flag PointRoll advertisements or cookies as computer threats. PointRoll does not distribute viruses or any computer code that monitors or causes changes to users' computer system registries as part of its advertisements or cookies.

Please note that PointRoll may occasionally release information that PointRoll collects in order to comply with law, or to protect the rights, property or safety of advertisers, publishers, users, the public or PointRoll. Also, in the event that PointRoll sells some or all of its assets, or PointRoll is acquired by another company, information that PointRoll collects may be among the transferred assets.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just FYI

In Internet Explorer - If you go to internet options - privacy tab - sites button - you can add sites to block. Then your computer will not accept cookies from that site.