Cub Cadet 2135 - Battery light on console comes on when mower deck engaged

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet 2135 - Battery light on console comes on when mower deck engaged
Buzzing is a connection opening and closing rapidly.
Or to put it another way it is trying to make a connection but can not.

I still think you have a charging problem and the engine is not charging at the full rate .
So when the battery does not have enough power, the PTO will not engage.
After driving for a few miutes there was just enough power put back into the battery to reengage
So when you are just driving you get a low ( trickle type ) charge back to the battery but when you put a heavy electric load it is discharging the battery.

greynold99

Threads
Couple of updates on my on-going BATT dash charging light coming on...

1. I have to charge the battery before I can mow but...
2. Once I get the tractor started, both the PTO and mower run for extended periods of time, up to 2 hours even though...
3. The BATT Charge Warning Light is now lit continuously, even when I disengage the PTO! This just started to happen last couple of weeks but I was amazed that I could mow for more than an hour without ever having to disengage the PTO so the battery will charge up a little.

I'm now kind of suspecting the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier, which is mounted on my Cub on the Lower-Left corner of the engine housing with a 3 or 4 wire connector to it. But I still not able to explain why I'm not having a problem with the battery discharging and causing the engine to die after mowing for the hour or two it takes me to mow my yard.
I'm going to check the connections to the Regulator tonight just to make sure I haven't missed it being just a bad connection. Although I seem to recall the connector to this is one of those preformed-single unit pieces with all the wiring connections there - so no ability to crimp or tighten the connection; although might be able to slightly adjust the spade connectors coming off the Regulator itself.

Let me know if you've seen this before or have some other ideas.
Thanks,
greynold99

greynold99

Threads
Problem was the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier - Found one on Amazon from Stens for about 1/3 of OEM price since these are apparently used by MTD for other lawn tractors as well as Cub Cadets.

One thing to note - Apparently there was a design change in this component and my 1996 Regulator/Rectifier (KH-41-403-09-S) has the 3-spade electrical connectors extending beyond the Regulator/Rectifier case from the bottom edge but the newer version (KH-41-403-10-S) has those connectors on the back of the case but they do not extend far enough to connect to the plastic electrical 3-wire connector on my tractor.

Had my fingers crossed since this was last thing I knew to do - pulled out the PTO Switch and No BATT Charge Warning light.
Mowed for over 2 hours - and finally the she died from the heat (Plus 87 degrees and humid) induced vapor lock that's been discussed so ofter with these 2000 Series Tractors...
I'll have to see what Packardv8 has done with his Fuel Tank removal project and if that finally fixed his vapor locking issue.
BTW, I came back an hour later - started the Cub right up and finished mowing...

greynold99