Critter picture tread,(post what you have)

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
how big are these toads?
looks like the dinosaurs arnt extinct afterall.
Actually they are a lizard but have adopted the name Toad from their body shape..

From Wikipedia - The Texas horned lizard is the largest-bodied and most widely distributed of the approximately 14 species of horned lizards in the western United States and Mexico. The length of an average Texas horned lizard is 69 mm (2.7 in) snout-vent length,[6] however the upper boundary for males is 94 mm (3.7 in) and for females it is 114 mm (4.5 in).[7]

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually they are a lizard but have adopted the name Toad from their body shape..

From Wikipedia - The Texas horned lizard is the largest-bodied and most widely distributed of the approximately 14 species of horned lizards in the western United States and Mexico. The length of an average Texas horned lizard is 69 mm (2.7 in) snout-vent length,[6] however the upper boundary for males is 94 mm (3.7 in) and for females it is 114 mm (4.5 in).[7]
Don't some Texans refer to them as "Horned frogs"?
Isn't that the mascot of the T.C.U. athletics?
Believe it or not, they actually spit blood from their eyes as a defense mechanism.
I didn't know they were disappearing.
I remember when I was a kid, friends were keeping them as pets in terrariums.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
003.jpg004.jpg002.jpg

Here's my Buddy, He lives about thirty feet from my back door. About 6 foot

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Took this pic of the Horned Toad in 2004 and it's the last one I've seen.

Pull up your britches legs and sit a while as I have a story about these little fellers we call horned toads.

A co-worker that was transferred to my area from a part of the U.S. that doesn't have them was intrigued when he saw the first one. Knowing his kids would like to see one he captured it and took it home in his lunch pail. We were working remote areas at the time and a lunch pail was common at noon.

Arriving home that evening he set the lunch pail in the usual place on the counter having forgotten about the contents inside.

The next morning while shaving he heard the most awful blood curdling scream from his wife anyone could ever hear and that's when the most awful feeling came over him but still funny at that time.

Needless to say he packed his own lunch that day and never did admit how many days or where he slept the next few nights.

I still get a chuckle every time I think of that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I were to live that close he would be wearing a cow bell so I would know where he was when out of the water.

I have a good relationship with him, I don't bother him and he doesn't try swimming in my spa on the back porch. He has been there for a couple of years. The thing that bothers me is I know for his size there's not enough food in that retention pond to sustain his meals and I'm afraid he'll end up making a meal on one of the neighbor hood dogs or some (pardon the expression) stupid Yankee that thinks he's cute and wants to take a close up picture, then all hell will break out.

Bison

Threads
One of my bison dropped a twin,...it happens once in a while.
Most times the cow will abandon one of them,its rare if she accepts both.
I had a few twins over the years and this is only the second time in the 16 years i raise these critters that a cow kept both calves

Attachments

• twin buff 002.jpg
    twin buff 002.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 16

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great ! Hope she continues to tend to both !

We used to have a local Bison ranch and retail store. For my taste most of the ground meat needed to be mixed with some beef or it was too dry.

The short ribs were GREAT when cooked in a crock pot, deboned and flavored with BBQ sauce.

Our local place went out of business :thumbdown: :frown: Wish they were still here, but we do have a couple locals who raise grazed grass fed Beef and it is MUCH better than the feedlot garbage.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just some of what we have around here.
Teddy Yard.jpg Hummers80a.jpg Hawk6.jpg
buck and doe.jpg