Critter picture tread,(post what you have)

Parkmower

Threads
RobertBrown said:
ear fungus, Mycelium, a sporocarp.
It does not grow in your ear, it just has the shape or an ear.

Not sure what that means. Little to scientific. We have similar growths on hardwoods but lack the color.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure what that means. Little to scientific. We have similar growths on hardwoods but lack the color.

A common name for a fungus that grows from a tree horizontally is "Ear Fungus". The part you see coming from the tree is called the sporocarp. This is only the reproductive, smaller part of the organism, the fruiting body.
This type of organism is called a Mycelium and Mycelia are the largest organisms on our planet.
The can get to be several miles wide, one organism as big as a city, living underground.

Parkmower

Threads
RobertBrown said:
A common name for a fungus that grows from a tree horizontally is "Ear Fungus". The part you see coming from the tree is called the sporocarp. This is only the reproductive, smaller part of the organism, the fruiting body.
This type of organism is called a Mycelium and Mycelia are the largest organisms on our planet.
The can get to be several miles wide, one organism as big as a city, living underground.

Plotting to take over the world!!! Aaagh! Run everyone the mycelia's are coming!

Bison

Threads
There is an aspen grove in "i think in montana" that spans 50 acre and is supposed to have sprouted from a single tree and spread to its today's size just by suckering.( identical DNA troughout)
It was claimed to be single largest living organism in the world?

Mower manic

Threads

Bison

Threads
I don't dispute that a fungus might be the largest organism on earth,but unless they dig that thing up in its entirety which is prob impossible i tend to be suspicious.
But what is the truth anyway,it seems to change over the years.
a couple eons ago they used to claim that the earth was flat too,a diff opinion was punished with death:wink:

I think a blue whale is the largest.

Mower manic

Threads
I don't dispute that a fungus might be the largest organism on earth

I think a blue whale is the largest

The blue whale is the largest mammal, a mammal is an organism. The Armillaria ostoyae is an organism but it is not a mammal. If the statement was " a fungus is the largest mammal" it would be incorrect,
The statement was "Mycelia are the largest organisms on the planet" as of this time the data shows: Armillaria ostoyae is the largest organism....by far.
All mammals are organisms, but all organisms are not mammals.
Perhaps this is where your education becomes important.
I only went to school one day, because my brother was sick. But on that day we discussed organisms. I remember because I called them orgasms and everybody looked at me like I was a serial killer. From that moment on, I hated mushrooms. I wouldn't eat a mushroom if it was the only thing left.
Anyway....you would be incorrect in your assessment if you stated that the blue whale was the largest organism.
This may, or may not, be important to you. I mean, after all who gives a sh?t?
I'm not likely to see either of these 2 in my lifetime. But on the other hand if parkmower pitches his idea to Steven Spielberg...and the next thing you know we have "man eating mushrooms" on my DVR, my priorities could change. I might go out and buy a " save the mushrooms" hat or tee shirt. Who knows what the future holds? But for right now, you sir are incorrect....with all due respect of course.:tongue:

Bison

Threads
The blue whale is the largest mammal, a mammal is an organism. The Armillaria ostoyae is an organism but it is not a mammal. If the statement was " a fungus is the largest mammal" it would be incorrect,The statement was "Mycelia are the largest organisms on the planet" as of this time the data shows: Armillaria ostoyae is the largest organism....by far.
All mammals are organisms, but all organisms are not mammals.
Perhaps this is where your education becomes important.
I only went to school one day, because my brother was sick. But on that day we discussed organisms. I remember because I called them orgasms and everybody looked at me like I was a serial killer. From that moment on, I hated mushrooms. I wouldn't eat a mushroom if it was the only thing left.
Anyway....you would be incorrect in your assessment if you stated that the blue whale was the largest organism.This may, or may not, be important to you. I mean, after all who gives a sh?t?
I'm not likely to see either of these 2 in my lifetime. But on the other hand if parkmower pitches his idea to Steven Spielberg...and the next thing you know we have "man eating mushrooms" on my DVR, my priorities could change. I might go out and buy a " save the mushrooms" hat or tee shirt. Who knows what the future holds? But for right now, you sir are incorrect....with all due respect of course.:tongue:
Duuhh,like i didn't know that,..you think i come out of an egg:rolleyes:
But anyway a mammal is an organism..period,..you compared the whale with the fungus,..it wasn't me:tongue:
You went to schoolonly one day you say,:laughing:i went to school till i was 17,.teh last 4 years to aggri college,i had 4 yrs biology..if you want to discuss nature,..go ahead,i'm game.
Look at my avatar,it is not just a pic,..i raise them for a living.

Like you said,who gives a sh!t,you're nit picking.