Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21

2011cb

Member
Model 917-378770
I am helping a friend repair this mower. They said it wouldnt start. When you pull start it puffs white/grey smoke and eventually throws a hard kick back but wont start.
I rebuilt the carb with a factory Craftsman rebuild kit...new gas.....but it still wont start and
throws a hard kick back...if it were a car I would say the timing was off?
By kicking I should clarify it feels like it is trying to start backwards or something as it pulls rope back hard.
 
Last edited:
2o11cb


Just wondering if there might be some gas leaking from the carburettor float, into engine oil. Just look at the oil level on the engine dip stick plug and see how much is in there and see if it smells gases.:biggrin:
 
picked up new plug and oil....old oil definately smells like gas but I dont know if that was before or after the rebuild?
 
Changed oil and spark plugged..gapped at .030
Whats happens is that this first time it fires it pulls the the cord back towards the motor and out of your hand....almost impossible to hang on to...almost like its motor is trying to start backwards....
 
backwards would be a timing issue...but the cord pull could be a bad recoil assy. also......a flywheel can sometimes strip the key and throw the timing off...id pull the cooling shroud off and see if the flywheel is loose....i can help you better if you give us the motor numbers:thumbsup: .....heres a start ....Partstree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines. .......and.......http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-917378770/0247/1500600/P0202247/00001
 
Back
Top