Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21
this would be a good idea to pull the flywheel...you can get a puller for $10-15 bucks.....think of this as an adventure!:biggrin:....if it checks out...were back to carb.....its reassuring to the mind to be through..:thumbsup:

2011cb

Threads
I have some pullers at the house from working on cars. is it just a matter
of taking off the top half of the mower? Anything I should look for(any gotcha's):eek:
I will check the parts break down link you sent also...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
just so i have a better idea of the whole thing...did your your friend hit a stump or something?.....how does the blade and blade mount look?...........when you rebuilt the carb....how did all the orfices look and the float needle...how dirty was it?...

2011cb

Threads
blade looks good..fairly new and no mares.......does spin on shaft a little freely though....shaft looks straight...she didnt mention
hitting anything...said it just stopped starting....carb wasnt too dirty but she said she hadnt used it in a yr or so...cleaned all orifices and they were too bad...check float no leaks...new needle and seat and they appeared all good....it is this whole backlash thing that seems weird which is absolutely not there without the plug in and only happens as soon as it seems to hit the first firing....which is weird again it doesnt fire with starter fluid?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the flywheel..
I'll bet on a sheared or partially sheared key...
Really will put a stop to pulling the starter rope... after a few of those, you become a bit leery pull starting engines... Ouch... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
how long was it between the last time she ran it and it stopped starting?

jeff

Threads
The blade should not turn really free. Pull the blade and adapter off the crank and check the key on the adapter. A bad blade key will also cause the engine to act up as you discribe. The blade acts as a flywheel causing the engine to have inertia to overcome compression. If you cannot feel compression when you turn the blade by hand, then what I discribed is likely the problem

2011cb

Threads
well its not like super free more like a clutch fan on car.... but I bet your right that the key broke...when you pull the cord does the fly wheel turn also or only when it actually fires...she isnt quite sure how or when it stopped working...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
flywheel and blade shouldnt move separate from the crankshaft at all...if the blade is loose pull it off with the blade mount and inspect....be sure to tip the mower with the carb on the top side:thumbsup:

2011cb

Threads
will do.... it is definitely moving but I thought it maybe should be clutched like that...