Craftsman Mower Model 917287131 more added.. HELP..LOL

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Craftsman Mower Model 917287131 more added.. HELP..LOL
OK .. way off topic... Anybody know how to post files on here.. Never had a problem anywhere else but always says file to big here... Also I have all the boxes checked but I do not get notified when there are new posts to my threads..
As in files you mean Photo's right? upload them to an image host, such as postimages.org and copy and paste the link here.

wheelie

Threads
As in files you mean Photo's right? upload them to an image host, such as postimages.org and copy and paste the link here.
Ok thanks.. i will give that a try.. new to me.. wonder why they even have the 'attach files'' link..
Ok.. I ran into this mower yesterday and the owner made me a deal I could not pass up.. $100.00... Mower starts a runs great no smoke.. It does have a couple issues.. One issue is it on occasion it will not steer skipping on the sector gear.. The sector gear and the pinion gear look good but there is something wrong some where on that..

The other problem is that this is a;
Craftsman model 917287131 mower
B & S Intek Plus 20 OHV
Limited Edition -VTS
DSL 3500

In looking at parts such as the blade drive belt all the parts supplies list it as having a 46 inch deck.. but this mower has a 42 inch deck.. even says 42 on the chute.. So now I do not know how to order parts for the mower deck.. Any Ideas.. Thanks

Ok.. My wife spotted this on the trailer deck today.. The deck was just installed 5 days ago and has only hauled the 2 mowers ion last 4 days.. It is a shim of some sort i believe and has 1/8" stamped on it... tried to attach a picture but not allowed because of size so trying this link thing.. https://postimg.cc/HjHTx15G

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
For images I download from camera or phone, copy and paste to Paint, reduce about 50% to get the MB size down, then name and save to pictures. Then can attach to most forums.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Phone cameras use a weird file format that computers see as being about 10 times bigger than it really is.
I drop the image into photo shop on the computer then SAVE A COPY in jpg format.
Usually that will bring the file size down.
If not the I RESIZE to 12" on the longest side and set the resolution to 144 dpi .
That will usually display 18" on a big screen so plenty of detail.

wheelie

Threads
Ok.. Needing some .. been there done that views..

recap.. Craftsman 917.287121 (or131)

Purchased knowing that it had a steering skip problem..
Ok This morning I dug into the steering situation more,, The Teeth on the Sector Plate and Pinion Gear actually look pretty good.. but there is some showing of wear.. The sector plate was very loose and wobbly so I pulled the deck, got my wrench's out and sure enough I got over 2 turns on the bolt before it came tight.. I figured I had it easy.. NOT SO FAST.. slippage was not as severe but still bad slipping.. SO..
The steering shaft has about 3/8" of up and down play.. Does not have much, if any, side play.. The sector plate seems to be in proper position and the washer is in place.. My brain puzzle is . in looking at the machine AND looking at diagrams, AND looking at parts and parts kits, I do not see anything in the assembly that would limit the up an down motion of the steering shaft.. other than the bolt and washer directly under the steering wheel.... ANYBODY.. LOL.. Thanks..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
10 posts ago you were told what needs to be replaced in order to fix skipping steering
I only studied an engineering/ science based profession for 15 years but must have missed the bit where a vertical movement can magically cause a horizontal displacement big enough for your gear teeth to fail to mesh .
As you have obviously decided that you now know more than the techs trying to help you and believe tightening a bolt will magically cause worn out parts to be restored to as new condition there is obviously no more help I can offer
So have a nice day & god bless you and your family I am off to help people who know they need it .

bogdaN

Threads
Lot of people have that problem including me .Finely my young neighbor installed some thing call pic,s resizer and that works.

wheelie

Threads
10 posts ago you were told what needs to be replaced in order to fix skipping steering
I only studied an engineering/ science based profession for 15 years but must have missed the bit where a vertical movement can magically cause a horizontal displacement big enough for your gear teeth to fail to mesh .
As you have obviously decided that you now know more than the techs trying to help you and believe tightening a bolt will magically cause worn out parts to be restored to as new condition there is obviously no more help I can offer
So have a nice day & god bless you and your family I am off to help people who know they need it .
LOOK BUD.. I have no idea what your problem is but if you cannot help, move on by.... As far as your 'engineering' goes.. I worked 20 years in RV repair and engineers did not impress me when they left common sense out the door.. If you take a tapered gear coming to a angled gear vertically and and one has a capability to move vertically the spacing of the to meshing parts will move farther apart.. You might want to actually work on one.. I have a 2009 MTD that has the same steering system and the shaft is rock solid.. bot vertical movement at all.... I am going to replace those 2 items you suggest.. But i promise they alone will not cure my problem... Breath..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you had someone spin the steering wheel while you're under the mower watching?, you may can find out where it's skipping, but from what i've worked on and seen usually 99.999% of the time the steering gears is to blame.

wheelie

Threads
Most 42" decks will have 2 x 21.25" blades
Most 46" decks will have 3 blades, either 3 x 15.5" ones or 1 short & 2 long blades
Blade lengths may be +/- 1/2" different to the above depending upon the spindle positions but close enough .
Within a brand most decks will interchange

As for the steering, there is a bush at the bottom of the steering shaft that is supposed to be oiled if metal or periodically replaced if plastic .
There is also a bush in the fan gear that needs oiling & replacing
\You will se them as parts # 22 & # 58 in the linked page below.
This is not your particular mower but the parts are the same & the diagram is a lot clearer than the one Sears use on their web page.
Steering gear
UPDATE...Ok. I ordered the New Sector Gear.. The Shaft Kit ...and New Shoulder Bolt and Nut and Washer.. I did not tear anything down until I got the parts.. BIG MISTAKE.. LOL.. Like I said before the pinion gear and sector gear teeth looked OK.. HOWEVER.. I should have done a tear down first.. The hole in the Steering Plate (that the sector gear is bolted to with the shoulder bolt) Is completely egg shaped.. So a new steering plate is on the way.. ALSO..JUST TO NOTE.. while most of the steering parts are the same on this Husqvarna as My 917.287121 (or 131) the steering shaft itself is not.. The listed Husqvarna Shaft comes as a kit with all bushings steering hubs and pinion gear.. The parts list for the Craftsman shows a different part number and seems to just come as the shaft.. The shaft in the Husqvarna Kit is about 2 inches longer than the Craftsman one with a extension.. We did a mock up and it does make the steering wheel set up that 2 inches. .Probably workable but looks a bit odd... I think I am going to use the orginal parts with new steering plate and hope to find somebody that needs some discounted Husqvarna steering Parts or put them on EBay.. THANKS TO EVERYBODY for their help and suggestions..