Craftsman Mower Model 917287131 more added.. HELP..LOL

wheelie

Threads
  • / Craftsman Mower Model 917287131 more added.. HELP..LOL
Ok.. I ran into this mower yesterday and the owner made me a deal I could not pass up.. $100.00... Mower starts a runs great no smoke.. It does have a couple issues.. One issue is it on occasion it will not steer skipping on the sector gear.. The sector gear and the pinion gear look good but there is something wrong some where on that..

The other problem is that this is a;
Craftsman model 917287131 mower
B & S Intek Plus 20 OHV
Limited Edition -VTS
DSL 3500

In looking at parts such as the blade drive belt all the parts supplies list it as having a 46 inch deck.. but this mower has a 42 inch deck.. even says 42 on the chute.. So now I do not know how to order parts for the mower deck.. Any Ideas.. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure that somebody hasn't switched the chute. Craftsman sometimes have a sticker under the hood that list common part numbers like blades, belts etc. If you want to comfirm deck size just measure it. Or take a blade off and clean it and get the numbers off of it. Or measure the blade length. a 21 inch blade would be a 42 inch deck and the 46 inch deck uses something closer to 23-24 inch blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Use 917.287121 DSL 3500.

wheelie

Threads
Use 917.287121 DSL 3500.
That Did It.. Thanks.. Now I will do some measuring to verify what actual size is.... I have a Brute with a 46 inch deck but it is 3 bladed.. and I have a 'ACE' MTD with a 2 bladed 42inch deck.. this one sure seems more closely sized to the ACE. mower deck.. Much Appreciated..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most 42" decks will have 2 x 21.25" blades
Most 46" decks will have 3 blades, either 3 x 15.5" ones or 1 short & 2 long blades
Blade lengths may be +/- 1/2" different to the above depending upon the spindle positions but close enough .
Within a brand most decks will interchange

As for the steering, there is a bush at the bottom of the steering shaft that is supposed to be oiled if metal or periodically replaced if plastic .
There is also a bush in the fan gear that needs oiling & replacing
\You will se them as parts # 22 & # 58 in the linked page below.
This is not your particular mower but the parts are the same & the diagram is a lot clearer than the one Sears use on their web page.
Steering gear

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert also for future reference, Both Husqvarna and MTD have went to a two blade 46" setup.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert also for future reference, Both Husqvarna and MTD have went to a two blade 46" setup.
Gees you make me feel like I am living in backwards hicksville .
Yet to see a 2 blade 46" but I expect they will get here eventually.
Show room models down here that I have seen are all 3 bladed but due to Covid restrictions I have not been around as much as usual and don't loiter in showrooms.

wheelie

Threads
Most 46" decks will have 3 blades, either 3 x 15.5" ones or 1 short & 2 long blades
Blade lengths may be +/- 1/2" different to the above depending upon the spindle positions but close enough .

As for the steering, there is a bush at the bottom of the steering shaft that is supposed to be oiled if metal or periodically replaced if plastic .
This is not your particular mower but the parts are the same & the diagram is a lot clearer than the one Sears use on their web page.
Steering gear
great information and way better illustrations.. Thanks

Steering gear
Yes.. Great information.. AND WAY better illustration.. I will look thing over and get some parts coming... Really appreciate the help..

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert, I think I saw my first 46" two blade probably 10-12 years ago on Husqvarna, and maybe MTD in the past 5-6 years.

wheelie

Threads
Bert, I think I saw my first 46" two blade probably 10-12 years ago on Husqvarna, and maybe MTD in the past 5-6 years.

OK .. way off topic... Anybody know how to post files on here.. Never had a problem anywhere else but always says file to big here... Also I have all the boxes checked but I do not get notified when there are new posts to my threads..