Craftsman lt4000

Timathy

Threads
I bought a used Craftsman lt4000 (model # 917252600) this past spring and did not have any problems until yesterday. Yesterday was the first time I tried to pull/haul anything. I was using an aerator. About 20 minutes into it I ran out of gas and the mower (obviously) stopped. It had the same symptoms as if there was excess grass underneath or I was off the seat. I hit the brake and it regained a bit of power then stopped. I refueled but it wouldn't turn over. Yesterday, I thought it was flooded. I tried today to start it and it still will not turn over. I checked underneath for excess leaves/grass. I tried to jump start it. I unhooked the seat safety cables and reattached them. Any suggestions?

Duffer72

Threads
Is it in nuetral? blades aren't engaged are they? your description is a little confusing as grass in the deck won't make it not start unless the blade belt is bound up on the pulley, you do mean that the engine won't crank correct? could also be a bad safety switch some where.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like a safety switch.....make sure the blades are disengaged and deck all the way up and brake fully depressed....a 1/4 inch off and it wont start:smile:

Timathy

Threads
It is in neutral.
Brake fully pressed.
Blades are up.
Blades are not engaged.
I just replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. Still not working.
I took off the air filter and removed the hose after the filter. It started but only ran for about 5-10 seconds.
I cannot get it to start again. When I try to start it, the belts turn and it sounds like everything is cranking but it won't fire up. How do I check/diagnose for safety switch issues?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
so...to be clear...it cranks fine ...but wont run?

Timathy

Threads
Correct, it cranks fine but will not turn over.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
pull sparkplug and rest against the block somewhere to check spark while cranking [ use a glove]......if ok then get some starting fluid......spray into choke area while cranking....if it fires...its a fuel issue

Duffer72

Threads
That makes a big difference and what you need to check, if it is cranking then it isn't a safety switch, remove air filter and spray some carb cleaner into carb and try starting it, if it fires then dies you have a fuel problem if it doesn't fire than you have a ignition problem, check it and let us know what happens.

Timathy

Threads
I pulled the sparkplug and it is sparking. I sprayed starter fluid into the carb and it fired up then died.

Duffer72

Threads
So you need to start working on the fuel system, pull the fuel line loose from the carb and see if you are getting fuel out of the hose, not sure if you have a fuel pump or gravity feed on this unit, if it is a pump then have someone crank it over while you hold the tube into a gas can or coffee can to check flow. if you are getting fuel out of the line then start checking the carb.

FYI my suggestion is to not use starter fluid on small engines, I have seen some serious damage done to them when it was used on them, carb cleaner works great. WD40 works great on 2 cycles and doesn't wash off any lubricant that is still on the internals.