craftsman help

moehoward

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 6 hp craftsman briggs stratton that start but won't stay running. The bowl is metal. I have cleaned the carburetor. Don't know what I need to do to clean it. I just used a small toothbrush to clean it. Don't know if I am doing it right.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 6 hp craftsman briggs stratton that start but won't stay running. The bowl is metal. I have cleaned the carburetor. Don't know what I need to do to clean it. I just used a small toothbrush to clean it. Don't know if I am doing it right.

The needle valve attached to the float might not be opening all the way. Turn off the fuel shutoff and remove the carb (if it's not already off from cleaning it)

Get a new one (they're cheap), clean the hole (where the needle slides) out with a pipe cleaner. If you have to replace the seat (if the needle is all solid one color steel, you need to change the seat. If it has a gray/black rubber-like tip, you don't), remove the old one by making a small bend in a paperclip, and hooking it into the tiny hole - then pull it out. Note which way is facing you. The two sides of the new seat aren't the same. Push the new seat in with an allen wrench the same size as the hole.

Before you do this, I assume you've checked the filter and the line for blockage?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
BTW, Welcome to LMF!!! :thumbsup:

moehoward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your response I will check the float.

moehoward

Forum Newbie
Threads
I changed the float now it won't even start. I sprayed the carb with starter fluid and it start but once the starter fluid is used up it stops. Any other technique I can do. It seems like its not getting any gas from the tank to the motor. thank you

mystreba

Threads
I changed the float now it won't even start. I sprayed the carb with starter fluid and it start but once the starter fluid is used up it stops. Any other technique I can do. It seems like its not getting any gas from the tank to the motor. thank you

Have you replaced the gas?

I'm no expert, but if it were me I'd check the gas line at the carb and make sure gas was flowing there. Next I'd drain all the gas from the tank and replace with fresh gas.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you getting tired of pulling that cord? Have any blisters yet? We have all been there.
Post some pictures of the carb. So we know what we are looking at. What did you find in the carb bowl? Was it a rather thick brown or green liquid, Is the bottom of the bowl discolored in any way? Does this machine have a primer bulb?
Need more info..... in the mean time, go get some carb cleaner. Get 2 cans of B12 chemtool, post the pics and you'll be cutting grasss by next Saturday.

moehoward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the picture of lawnmower in question. This past week I tried to dip the carburetor in paint thinner. Still no go. The line is fine and I am getting gas in the bowl but just can't get it to stay running. Should I just trade this with an electric one?

I noticed its a murray. I thought it was a craftsman. If the mod would like to move it to the appropriate section that would be fine with me.

Attachments

• DSCN3548.jpg
    DSCN3548.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN3547.jpg
    DSCN3547.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN3549.jpg
    DSCN3549.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 16

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is the picture of lawnmower in question. This past week I tried to dip the carburetor in paint thinner. Still no go. The line is fine and I am getting gas in the bowl but just can't get it to stay running. Should I just trade this with an electric one?

I noticed its a murray. I thought it was a craftsman. If the mod would like to move it to the appropriate section that would be fine with me.

If there is fuel in the bowl, then I'd bet your main jet is clogged. As was suggested before, I'd spray the crud outa it with some quality carb cleaner. Never had luck with paint thinner. The main jet should go from the bolt under the bowl straight up into the carb. It's removeable. I'd take it out, and spray it with carb cleaner really good.

Since some Craftsmans through the years were made by Murray, seems fine to leave the thread here. We don't have a Murray - specific section anyway. Craftsmans use that same engine on some models, so it's as much Craftsman as anything. :smile:

moehoward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this a jet for the carburetor. Here is another pic of the mower.

Attachments

• BriggsMainJet.jpg
    BriggsMainJet.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC02431-1.jpg
    DSC02431-1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 15