Craftsman Chainsaw will not start

Rdavis441

Threads
I have a Craftsman 42CC 18" Chainsaw, Model 358.350380 that I can't get started. Always had this problem. I've had it for several years and it was always difficult to start. One time I needed my Chainsaw and I couldn't get it started so I just went and bought another one that I have used since. This winter, I had nothing betteer to do so I tied to get this one started to no avail. I replaced the Fuel Lines, in-tank fuel filter, Spark Plug and Air Filter. I sprayed Carburetor cleaner on and in the Carburetor and I tried Starting Fluid and none of that helped. I check for spark with my "in-line spark tester" and I have spark. I believe the problem has something to do withe the way it cranks/turns when I pull the rope. It does not pull smoothly like my Poulan. It is like it steps around (slowly) and even sometimes hangs up (kind of stops) and sometimes it jerks my arm. I feel like if it would just go around the engine might start.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this before and have any suggestion for me. I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Ron

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two more things to check. Compression and timing, looks like you have fuel and spark.

Threads
Its most likely the timing if it jerks your arm like that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check for a sheared flywheel key.

Rdavis441

Threads
Two more things to check. Compression and timing, looks like you have fuel and spark.

Thank you for a speedy reply.
I know how to check the compression. but I don't know how to check or set the timing. Would you please help me on this.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Thank you for a speedy reply.
I know how to check the compression. but I don't know how to check or set the timing. Would you please help me on this.

Check the compression and fly wheel key first :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Threads
I will check for the sheared key.

Thank you

If its not sheared check it anyway for any grooves, or scars it doesnt take much to throw off the timing.

Rdavis441

Threads
The Compression is 90 PSI.
I don't know what you mean by the sheared flywheel pin. I guess I just don't know what I am looking for. I looked all over the flywheen and I don't see anything broken off. I only see the fins and none of them are broken or missing. Can you give me a bit more guidance of where and what I should be looking. I would really appreciate it. Thanks-a-bunch. Ron

Threads
The Compression is 90 PSI.
I don't know what you mean by the sheared flywheel pin. I guess I just don't know what I am looking for. I looked all over the flywheen and I don't see anything broken off. I only see the fins and none of them are broken or missing. Can you give me a bit more guidance of where and what I should be looking. I would really appreciate it. Thanks-a-bunch. Ron

Its under the flywheel nut you remove the nut, and the shear key is right where you can see it you might need a hub puller to remove the flywheel. 90psi is pretty good did you give it 2, or 3 good pulls to test the compression?