Export thread

Craftsman Chainsaw will not start

R

Rdavis441

I have a Craftsman 42CC 18" Chainsaw, Model 358.350380 that I can't get started. Always had this problem. I've had it for several years and it was always difficult to start. One time I needed my Chainsaw and I couldn't get it started so I just went and bought another one that I have used since. This winter, I had nothing betteer to do so I tied to get this one started to no avail. I replaced the Fuel Lines, in-tank fuel filter, Spark Plug and Air Filter. I sprayed Carburetor cleaner on and in the Carburetor and I tried Starting Fluid and none of that helped. I check for spark with my "in-line spark tester" and I have spark. I believe the problem has something to do withe the way it cranks/turns when I pull the rope. It does not pull smoothly like my Poulan. It is like it steps around (slowly) and even sometimes hangs up (kind of stops) and sometimes it jerks my arm. I feel like if it would just go around the engine might start.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this before and have any suggestion for me. I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Ron

reynoldston

reynoldston

Two more things to check. Compression and timing, looks like you have fuel and spark.

wjjones

wjjones

Its most likely the timing if it jerks your arm like that.

R

Rivets

Check for a sheared flywheel key.

R

Rdavis441

Two more things to check. Compression and timing, looks like you have fuel and spark.

Thank you for a speedy reply.
I know how to check the compression. but I don't know how to check or set the timing. Would you please help me on this.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Thank you for a speedy reply.
I know how to check the compression. but I don't know how to check or set the timing. Would you please help me on this.

Check the compression and fly wheel key first :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R

Rdavis441

Check for a sheared flywheel key.

I will check for the sheared key.

Thank you

wjjones

wjjones

I will check for the sheared key.

Thank you

If its not sheared check it anyway for any grooves, or scars it doesnt take much to throw off the timing.

R

Rdavis441

The Compression is 90 PSI.
I don't know what you mean by the sheared flywheel pin. I guess I just don't know what I am looking for. I looked all over the flywheen and I don't see anything broken off. I only see the fins and none of them are broken or missing. Can you give me a bit more guidance of where and what I should be looking. I would really appreciate it. Thanks-a-bunch. Ron

wjjones

wjjones

The Compression is 90 PSI.
I don't know what you mean by the sheared flywheel pin. I guess I just don't know what I am looking for. I looked all over the flywheen and I don't see anything broken off. I only see the fins and none of them are broken or missing. Can you give me a bit more guidance of where and what I should be looking. I would really appreciate it. Thanks-a-bunch. Ron

Its under the flywheel nut you remove the nut, and the shear key is right where you can see it you might need a hub puller to remove the flywheel. 90psi is pretty good did you give it 2, or 3 good pulls to test the compression?

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

You must also hold in the throttle all the way when checking :thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

From your model number your saw is made by Poulan. Flywheel key is made into the flywheel, and you will have to remove the flywheel to check it. 90 PSI is the minimum acceptable compression on Poulan saws. From the clunky starting it sounds like something is maybe hanging up some place. Make sure there is about .010 clearance between the flywheel and the igntion module. While you are checking the clearance, grab the flywheel and see if it moves from side to side, to indicate a bad crankshaft bearing. I have seen several saws over the years with bad flywheel end crankshaft bearings.

R

Rivets

I would also check the crank seals. If one of them is bad, you will not get enough crankcase vacuum to draw in the fuel.

R

Rdavis441

Thank you. It has become obvious that I must find a hub puller to get the flywheel off. My puller is too thick to get uder the flywheel. Thank you again for the info. I will keep everyone who has provided me with help, updates on my progress. Ron

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Have u been using the right oil mix?

R

Rdavis441

I want to thank everyone who has offered me help. I am making good progress. I haven't gotten it started yet but I think I am just about there. I have been able to get the fly wheel off and looked at the key. After seeing it, I feel quite dumb in not knowing what folks were refering to as the flywheel key. Although it was many years ago, I have replaced one before. This one is a bit different from what the previous one was which a separate little piece of metal that slid into a slot. On this flywheel, the key is actually a part of the flywheel and the flywheel and key slides down into the slot in the crankshaft. I don't believe it is sheared ,but one edge is not sharp (kind of rounded). One of the advisors on this problem suggested that any little thing will throw off the timing so I guess I will have to buy a new flywheel. I will provide another progress report when I have done that and actually get it started.
Thanks again to everyone --- This Forum rocks.
Ron

R

Rivets

I would not purchase a new flywheel until I have checked everything else. Yes, it could be the flywheel, but you should eliminate everything else as they can be expensive.

R

Rdavis441

I some how screwed up this morning and wrote a long status update that didn't get posted for some reason. I won't go thru it all again. I still haven't gotten it started but I was able to get the flywheel off without a puller. I looked at the key and I don't believe it is sheared off but one side does not have a sharp edge like the other side--it is slightly rounded. The key is not a replaceable one. It is a part of the flywheel and it slides down into a slot on the crankshaft which means I probably have to purchase a new fly wheel instead of just a key. The key slides nicely down into the slot on the crankshaft with no side movement- and since I now know how to take the flywheel off again, I am going to put it back together and try it again. If the problem still persists, I will buy the new flywheel. I will again give a progress report after I complete my next step.
I want to again thank all you folks that given me your time and advice. THIS FORUM ROCKS.

R

Rdavis441

I don't know what is going on. Before writing my last reply, I checked for a response to the reply I wrote this morning and didn't see my earlier reply or the response. After posting this last reply, I now see the earlier one and the response. Please have patience with a doddering old man.
By the way - what does reply witha quote mean?????
Ron

midnite rider

midnite rider

I don't know what is going on. Before writing my last reply, I checked for a response to the reply I wrote this morning and didn't see my earlier reply or the response. After posting this last reply, I now see the earlier one and the response. Please have patience with a doddering old man.
By the way - what does reply witha quote mean?????
Ron

Reply with quote, means to reply to the message and quoting the message you are replying to in the message body, such as I did here, if that makes sense. :confused2::confused2:

R

Rdavis441

Reply with quote, means to reply to the message and quoting the message you are replying to in the message body, such as I did here, if that makes sense. :confused2::confused2:

It makes a lot of sense. Thank you
If you don't mind, I have another question It (the system says I have had 19 replies. I can only see 9. How do I get to the other 10? I have new information to provide, but I would to add it after 19 and not on 9.

R

Rdavis441

You must also hold in the throttle all the way when checking :thumbsup:

What must I hold the throttle in to check???

R

Rdavis441

Have u been using the right oil mix?

Always. Please check my last #22 or 23. I have new information.

R

Rdavis441

New information -- Different Problem Definition
I THINK I should have defined the problem as "Craftsman Chainsaw will not crank".
I defined the problem as a starting problem and I think is is a cranking problem (probably intertwined). As I stated earlier, I can not smoothly pull the starter rope to the end. When I pull the rope it is as if I am pulling a stepping motor. It sometimes stops and sometimes jerks my arm. This latter point is what led us to the timing diagnosis. Well, when I put the flywheel back on and tried it -- the problem was still the same. Then I noticed I had forgotten to connect the spark club. That made me wonder how could the problem be cause by the engine firing at the wrong time if the spark plug wasn't connected??? So, I wondered what would happen if the spark plug is removed. BIG SURPRISE. The cranking (rope pull) was normal. I can pull it to the end of the rope with no problem. I rechecked the Compression and it is 90PSI. It took about 5 or 6 pulls to get it there.

I think I can now define the problem as "Craftsman Chainsaw will not crank normally with Spark Plug installed". DO YOU AGREE?

I really appreciate all the help given me based on the last problem description and I hope you will continue with the newly defined problem.
I will apprciate any and all advice and suggestions. Thanks
Ron