Country Clipper Kohler engine identification.

user4579

Threads
The 18-20-22 hp all use the same short block. The 18 has a screw in the carb that only allows the throttle butterfly to open half way. The 22 uses smart spark ignition whereas the 18-20 are fixed timing
Boy! Never would have guessed that! The throttle on this one opens all the way, and the coils are fixed in one spot but, they have 2 wires on each coil that go to a small electronic box on one of the shields. So, I'm pretty sure it's a 22 HP. But here is a funny thing, after getting it all tore down it is no longer locked up. What I found was one of the exhaust valve seats had fell out and bent one of the push rods. How that kept it from turning over I'm not sure. But the cylinders and all the rest look pretty good so I think I'll find a head and rebuild this engine instead of buying another one.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boy! Never would have guessed that! The throttle on this one opens all the way, and the coils are fixed in one spot but, they have 2 wires on each coil that go to a small electronic box on one of the shields. So, I'm pretty sure it's a 22 HP. But here is a funny thing, after getting it all tore down it is no longer locked up. What I found was one of the exhaust valve seats had fell out and bent one of the push rods. How that kept it from turning over I'm not sure. But the cylinders and all the rest look pretty good so I think I'll find a head and rebuild this engine instead of buying another one.
Fixed in the sense of the 18-20 hp means that the spark is a set timing whereas the 22 hp smart spark is a variable timing that can advance and retard the timing depending on engine speed.

I suspect the valve seat came out which dislodged the push rod which allowed it to jam on something causing the bent push rod. The partially open valve from the dislodged valve seat holding the valve open allowed the piston to hit the partially open valve which would cause the lock up issue.

user4579

Threads
Fixed in the sense of the 18-20 hp means that the spark is a set timing whereas the 22 hp smart spark is a variable timing that can advance and retard the timing depending on engine speed.

I suspect the valve seat came out which dislodged the push rod which allowed it to jam on something causing the bent push rod. The partially open valve from the dislodged valve seat holding the valve open allowed the piston to hit the partially open valve which would cause the lock up issue.
Thanks for all the help!! With it all tore down and nicely cleaned up I think I'll rebuild it. Won't take much, a gasket set and seals, quick hone, a cylinder head and a valve job on both heads. Thanks Again for the help!!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks for all the help!! With it all tore down and nicely cleaned up I think I'll rebuild it. Won't take much, a gasket set and seals, quick hone, a cylinder head and a valve job on both heads. Thanks Again for the help!!

Good for you on willing to dive much deeper than most people. Many of my customers replace spark plug and give up.