Convert 190402-1515-01 to Electronic Ignition

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope...very rarely I see anything under 3.5 hp through I do have one 2 hp Murray tiller. Matter of fact I only seen one walk behind mower last year in my shop.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right now i am swamped with mowers in for annual maint. I see lots of push mowers. My wife fell and broke her femur last week so i am playing nurse and care giver for the next 8 weeks. Really cutting into time in the shop. Bad timing. I may have to dig through some stuff and see if i have the bell crank. I went through and junked a bunch of stuff a few years ago.
Now send pics of the oldest small engine carb you have.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like you I don't much time on my hands on as Spring season just kick in here too. I got about riders in just the last two days. I got one I got to pickup by Friday and at least another two inbound that I know of. Of the ones that a got one with an intermittent problem so it will take awhile to get it to act up. Matter of fact I got get my behind out to shop now as a customer just pulled up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope...very rarely I see anything under 3.5 hp through I do have one 2 hp Murray tiller. Matter of fact I only seen one walk behind mower last year in my shop.
Kind of funny that it now takes a 10-12 cubic inch engine rated at 5-7 hp to due the same job that a 8-9 cubic engine rated at 3-3.5 hp engine use to do. Or a 22-25 hp rider engine that use to use a 10-14 hp engine.

Romore

Threads
I was not aware that the kit has been discontinued. It's all about marketing, horsepower sells. Also blade tip speed regulations mandate a larger displacement engine to do the same job.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My first rider was a 8hp pull start one speed 32" Huffy. Mowed just fine. Now i have a 36hp 61" Ferris ZTR

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was not aware that the kit has been discontinued. It's all about marketing, horsepower sells. Also blade tip speed regulations mandate a larger displacement engine to do the same job.
True Hp sells. the maximum tip blade speed hasn't changed in 40+ years so the higher displacement to do the same work doesn't apply. The higher displacement changed with the EPA emission regulations. When the exhaust started getting regulated the HP and displacement started going up on walk behind mowers. I personally witnessed the Hp on walk behinds go from 3.5 to 7.5 in some cases around mid 2000's

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I regularly mow with old side valve 8 hp powered 32" cut mower.
Manual gearbox & chain drive to the wheels this set up does not gobble up power .
I have another 10 Hp 32" with a cone clutch it cuts a bit faster but not much .
Both run rings around any modern mower , on a inch for inch cut width basis .
I have a fast cut 34" disc drive that cuts an acre of waist high pasture a good 20 minutes faster than any residential modern mower .
Hydros gobble up HP bar blades put excessive drag on the motor & bar blades do not store energy like a blade disc with swing back tips does .
Add to that people expect to be able to mow 2' tall grass at full speed while mulching or bagging .

And yes Hp sells.
People are lazy stupid and no longer have the ability to peoperly asses a product so they rely on " internet market influiencers " who are equally as ignoorant as they are so the always find the bigger engine is better .
Joe way less than average will not accept that a product that was perfect yesterday can possibly be perfect today and no chance on tomorrow so it just has to get "better" and the easiest way to do that is shove a bigger engine in it.
We bought a top of the line 1.8 L town car at a discount when the models changed .
It ha power windows mirrors steering & air conditioning.
To get them on the new model we had to buy 2,6 L engine .
When questioned the sales person said the new 2 L engine did not have enough power to run all of those accessories .
The 2 L had 15 more Hp than the 1. 8 L and was in a far more aerodynamic shape .

One of the things that is 100 % true of the demand economy
Stupid customers will cause the market to supply stupid products .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
True Hp sells. the maximum tip blade speed hasn't changed in 40+ years so the higher displacement to do the same work doesn't apply. The higher displacement changed with the EPA emission regulations. When the exhaust started getting regulated the HP and displacement started going up on walk behind mowers. I personally witnessed the Hp on walk behinds go from 3.5 to 7.5 in some cases around mid 2000's

And the 3.75 Hp Sprint engine was probably about 3 Hp under modern measurements
In 1982 the 160cc Powertorque was rated at 6 hp ( two stroke ) and that engine powered a plethora of small RER's up to 24" , walk behinds up to 24".
When Briggs killed the engine off in 2017 it was sold in 3 variations from 5,5Hp ( easy start ) through to 7.5 Hp on commercial SP's