Confusing manual instructions...

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess, if the filler is at the rear, you could take the handle off to tilt it back.
STRANGE that there is not a drain plug.

Does anyone where you made your purchase know ?

Good Luck, and let us know !

After thought: since you can take and post pictures, Let us see the bottom and maybe we can tell !

Briggs has removed the drain plug from most of there push mower engines. Not even molded into the oil pan anymore. He is correct the oil must be drained through the fill tube. Drain the fuel tank first and you won't have a problem with soaking the ari filter.......I am a Briggs dealer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have ran across this on boat engines but not mowers. On the boat engines they make a pump that you pump the oil out. The only problem I could think of from tipping the engine is the gas in the gas tank and carburetor. You said that it was a Chinese engine in a earlier thread and who knows what they do? Just seem there must a better way to drain the oil then out the filler but who knows.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Illengine is right. My old Snapper 3.5HP B&S self-propelled (from 1985) mower has a drain plug in the pan of the engine. But, my Dad's 2 year old Wal-Mart special (also with whatever they call a 3.5 HP B&S these days :rolleyes:) does NOT have the plug, or even a cast-over place where the plug went. Everything else is pretty much the same. Of course he's right - he's a B&S dealer. Dumb me. :ashamed:

It's rather stupid that they would reconfigure the entire casting to do away with a 15 cent plug. However, even WITH the plug, most people I have known for YEARS always changed their push-mower oil by tipping the mower on it's side (with an empty fuel tank). Maybe B&S figured most people didn't use the darned thing anyway, so just save the expense. But, I don't understand why they spent the money to do away with the CASTING.

Perhaps to reinforce the throw-away nature of the modern small engine....:frown: :

"Don't even BOTHER changing the oil, no matter what the manual says. By the time it needs an oil change, it's ready to blow up or sieze anyway. We've made our point to this end clear by eliminating any convenient way of draining the old oil."

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs claims the reason they got rid of the drain plug is because some of the OEM's are using a deck design that doesn't allow access to the drain plug even if it has one. Center hole for the crankshaft and that is it.

benski

Threads
As has been alluded to already, there are pumps that will go down the oil fill tube and draw the oil out that way. It is actually my preferred method of changing the oil in the walk-behinds and self-propelled mowers that I work on. No back strain, spilled gasoline, stuck carb needles, scratching up a customer's deck, etc. I pump the oil into a graduated container so I have a good place to start for how much oil I'll need for refilling.:smile::wink:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Sorry guys, I got it wrong!

When I got the mower out the shed yesterday to change the oil, I realised the air filter was on the LEFT, and the manual said not to tip it on the LEFT, not right...

And also, the oil filler was on the right.

God knows how I thought the air filter was on the right along with the oil filler, but oh well.

Anyway, I tipped it on its right to empty the oil, and my God, it was BLACK!

After I got 0.41 litres out (the capacity is 0.45 litres, so I was pleased to get almost it all out), I filled it back up with some Mountfield MX855 SAE30 high quality anti-wear and anti-foam oil.

I started it up, and wow! With the old oil the whole mower vibrated, but with the new stuff it didn't even twitch once! You could balance a needle on the top of the engine!

Needless to say I'll be using this oil all the time from now on! :biggrin: