Confusing manual instructions...

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
The manual for my push mower says not to tip it on its right side, as that is where the air filter is and it will flood it, and "damage the engine".

That is fine, however the oil filler is also on the right side, and when I change the oil tomorrow, I can't help thinking I'll have to tip it on its right ?

How should I tip the mower without going against the manuals instructions ?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tip it to the left and see if the drain plug is under the deck ! :biggrin:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
How will I be able to distinguish the drain plug from the engine bolts ?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that is not in the Manual, it will probably be closer to the center or not in the 4 or 5 bolt patern with the mounts, or different size. Is your Manual online as a PDF file ? Does Mountfield have a web site where you can ask the question ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If that is not in the Manual, it will probably be closer to the center or not in the 4 or 5 bolt patern with the mounts, or different size. Is your Manual online as a PDF file ? Does Mountfield have a web site where you can ask the question ?
Nope, just a paper manual. It just says to use the filler to empty it, but doesn't explain how to tip it to avoid soaking the air filter.

I'll have a look, but if I can't find the plug, I'll just use the filler, but try to tip it more to the back than to the right. Hopefully that'll work.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's interesting that a push mower has an oil filter -- just say'in. :biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess, if the filler is at the rear, you could take the handle off to tilt it back.
STRANGE that there is not a drain plug.

Does anyone where you made your purchase know ?

Good Luck, and let us know !

After thought: since you can take and post pictures, Let us see the bottom and maybe we can tell !

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought I read "filter" -- you actually wrote "filler". :ashamed:

He did say "filter", "air filter" and then he said oil filler. When I read it the first time, I made the same mistake you did so don't feel to bad. It's kind of easy to do, the way it is written.
I would think that you can tilt the mower carefully and not have an issue with the air filter as the oil should exit before it reaches an intake port
The drain plug should be apparent if it is there, as it will be tapped in the bottom of the crankcase and typically the other bolts are protruding through the deck.
For example a Briggs has a plug with a 3/8" square recess.