Changing blades

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a LOT of sharpening, dude. You can only sharpen about 5 times before replacing.

:/ I disagree I don't lose height of blade and I only use a flat file barely take any metal off. They are balanced and sharp with the oem angle cuts just fine I am not replacing my blades that often

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
:/ I disagree I don't lose height of blade and I only use a flat file barely take any metal off. They are balanced and sharp with the oem angle cuts just fine I am not replacing my blades that often

When you use a file your really not sharping the blade your cleaning them up. Which is the best way If you do it often and don't have any nicks on the blade

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you use a file your really not sharping the blade your cleaning them up. Which is the best way If you do it often and don't have any nicks on the blade

Well sometimes it takes a little metal off and I don't hit much with it if I have to ill use an angle grinder

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Due to where we are and so forth most yards in our part of the world are mowed only once every two weeks. Most have Pensacola Bahia grass in them which is tough. Many times we are cutting up all kinds of stuff in the crass that is covered up like sticks and stuff. I guess that is the reason we dull blades so much. Most of the time we are doing light bush hogging instead of mowing.

sgmgarden

Threads
Regardless of what type of mower you choose to use, you should always ensure the blades are kept in a good condition. Having sharp blades could be the difference between a good lawn and a great lawn. Dull blades tend to tear the grass so you should check them after use so that you always know what condition they are in.

fatboy

Threads
Wow glad I read this string I obviously am neglecting my blades and going to need to step up my blade program. Wow thanks all for opening my eyes.

savageactor7

Threads
Here in CNY it's been a mostly wet early summer and consequently I've cut a lot of wet grass. To do that decently I've been sharpening every 3 weeks or sooner.

Sharp blades will cut a dull blade will pull. Take 2 lawns, the one cut with a sharp blade will present a greener look. The one cut with a dull blade will be less green looking because if you carefully examine the grass you'll clearly see the grass tips are frosty looking and have jagged tips.

That's because a dull blade pulls the grass over and {{{BREAKS}}} the grass instead of cutting it.

For the vast majority this doesn't matter but for those in the know that work in golf courses, cemeteries or selling lawn mowing services in a competitive market it's an important competitive advantage if 'your' properly cut lawn looks better longer right to Joe Public, who's not in the know and just cuts his lawn because it's time to.

hcooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have extra sets of blades, that's good. Having to change them daily is another matter. Stay away from cans, rocks and other hard things.

Also, when grinding the blades, take the minimum amount of stock off that you can, and don't sharpen them like you'll be shaving with them. They'll be sharp alright, but that super-sharp edge won't stand up to sticks and stones, and will dull quickly.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here we go again on the second most popular topic after oil.

Why throw away a blade after one season, much less after 3 usages?? Not a pro but have used and hand ground since 2004 the same set of lift blades. You can restore the cutting edge to new condition. Please don't throw your money away. Blades with some twist to them must be hand ground to follow the cutting edge. The typical sharpening machine will not work on curved blades as members have noticed and reported. IMO it is sorry, indeed, to see the material taken off by the ?$600? machines. The blade looks pretty but about ?1/8" ? to 3/16" of good , tempered blade edge has been needlessly removed. Even deep nicks can be sharpened and resemble a saw tooth which cuts well, and eventually disappears after some more sharpening sessions.

:tractor:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I get my money out of every set of blades. I sharping my own and use them until the wings wear off