Export thread

Changing blades

jekjr

jekjr

How long do you guys get on blades before you have to sharpen them? We keep three to four sets of blades and swap out a sharp set daily. Is this average for those of you that run commercial?

X-man

X-man

How long do you guys get on blades before you have to sharpen them? We keep three to four sets of blades and swap out a sharp set daily. Is this average for those of you that run commercial?

In general, I sharpen my blades about twice a year, and I replace them every spring.

jekjr

jekjr

In general, I sharpen my blades about twice a year, and I replace them every spring.

How much grass do you cut though. For instance if you cut only one yard and you cut it 30 or 35 times a year and you sharpen them twice and replace then in the spring you have gotten roughly 10 cuttings on a sharpening. Start off new and sharpen twice. We cut 8 yards yesterday and several were good size.....

X-man

X-man

How much grass do you cut though. For instance if you cut only one yard and you cut it 30 or 35 times a year and you sharpen them twice and replace then in the spring you have gotten roughly 10 cuttings on a sharpening. Start off new and sharpen twice. We cut 8 yards yesterday and several were good size.....

I mow 30 lawns per week, each take about 20 minutes to mow. I mow in a trailer park for residents and for the management.

Ric

Ric

I keep three sets of blades per mower and change blades when the grass tells me to. Generally speaking I change out to a sharp set every two weeks. Keep in mind that I use three different mowers daily and mow 70 plus lawns a week.

jekjr

jekjr

I mow 30 lawns per week, each take about 20 minutes to mow. I mow in a trailer park for residents and for the management.
Wow. That is a lot of running on blades.That is incredible.

exotion

exotion

I replace all blades each winter. Sharpen twice a week

G

glckenosha

Depend on how much you're cutting. I have approx 100 accounts and change them once a week.

Carscw

Carscw

I change out to a sharp set every two days so about every 30 yards.

I only sharping blades 3 times before I replace them.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

X-man

X-man

I replace all blades each winter. Sharpen twice a week

That's a LOT of sharpening, dude. You can only sharpen about 5 times before replacing.

exotion

exotion

That's a LOT of sharpening, dude. You can only sharpen about 5 times before replacing.

:/ I disagree I don't lose height of blade and I only use a flat file barely take any metal off. They are balanced and sharp with the oem angle cuts just fine I am not replacing my blades that often

Carscw

Carscw

:/ I disagree I don't lose height of blade and I only use a flat file barely take any metal off. They are balanced and sharp with the oem angle cuts just fine I am not replacing my blades that often

When you use a file your really not sharping the blade your cleaning them up. Which is the best way If you do it often and don't have any nicks on the blade

exotion

exotion

When you use a file your really not sharping the blade your cleaning them up. Which is the best way If you do it often and don't have any nicks on the blade

Well sometimes it takes a little metal off and I don't hit much with it if I have to ill use an angle grinder

jekjr

jekjr

Due to where we are and so forth most yards in our part of the world are mowed only once every two weeks. Most have Pensacola Bahia grass in them which is tough. Many times we are cutting up all kinds of stuff in the crass that is covered up like sticks and stuff. I guess that is the reason we dull blades so much. Most of the time we are doing light bush hogging instead of mowing.

S

sgmgarden

Regardless of what type of mower you choose to use, you should always ensure the blades are kept in a good condition. Having sharp blades could be the difference between a good lawn and a great lawn. Dull blades tend to tear the grass so you should check them after use so that you always know what condition they are in.

F

fatboy

Wow glad I read this string I obviously am neglecting my blades and going to need to step up my blade program. Wow thanks all for opening my eyes.

S

savageactor7

Here in CNY it's been a mostly wet early summer and consequently I've cut a lot of wet grass. To do that decently I've been sharpening every 3 weeks or sooner.

Sharp blades will cut a dull blade will pull. Take 2 lawns, the one cut with a sharp blade will present a greener look. The one cut with a dull blade will be less green looking because if you carefully examine the grass you'll clearly see the grass tips are frosty looking and have jagged tips.

That's because a dull blade pulls the grass over and {{{BREAKS}}} the grass instead of cutting it.

For the vast majority this doesn't matter but for those in the know that work in golf courses, cemeteries or selling lawn mowing services in a competitive market it's an important competitive advantage if 'your' properly cut lawn looks better longer right to Joe Public, who's not in the know and just cuts his lawn because it's time to.

H

hcooper

If you have extra sets of blades, that's good. Having to change them daily is another matter. Stay away from cans, rocks and other hard things.

Also, when grinding the blades, take the minimum amount of stock off that you can, and don't sharpen them like you'll be shaving with them. They'll be sharp alright, but that super-sharp edge won't stand up to sticks and stones, and will dull quickly.

M

motoman

Here we go again on the second most popular topic after oil.

Why throw away a blade after one season, much less after 3 usages?? Not a pro but have used and hand ground since 2004 the same set of lift blades. You can restore the cutting edge to new condition. Please don't throw your money away. Blades with some twist to them must be hand ground to follow the cutting edge. The typical sharpening machine will not work on curved blades as members have noticed and reported. IMO it is sorry, indeed, to see the material taken off by the ?$600? machines. The blade looks pretty but about ?1/8" ? to 3/16" of good , tempered blade edge has been needlessly removed. Even deep nicks can be sharpened and resemble a saw tooth which cuts well, and eventually disappears after some more sharpening sessions.

:tractor:

Carscw

Carscw

I get my money out of every set of blades. I sharping my own and use them until the wings wear off

jekjr

jekjr

I get my money out of every set of blades. I sharping my own and use them until the wings wear off

At this time we have 5 sets of blades for our 60" mower which is the one we run the most. We run blades until they are worn out on the wings as well. They cost too much to throw away if they are to worm out.

Carscw

Carscw

At this time we have 5 sets of blades for our 60" mower which is the one we run the most. We run blades until they are worn out on the wings as well. They cost too much to throw away if they are to worm out.

I put mine in a pile until my wife starts getting on me about the mess then t take them to the scrap yard. Got $20 last time. Not really worth the time but I enjoy it

jekjr

jekjr

If you have extra sets of blades, that's good. Having to change them daily is another matter. Stay away from cans, rocks and other hard things.

Also, when grinding the blades, take the minimum amount of stock off that you can, and don't sharpen them like you'll be shaving with them. They'll be sharp alright, but that super-sharp edge won't stand up to sticks and stones, and will dull quickly.

Staying away from stuff is real good in theory. However in the real world it is another matter. A couple of weeks ago I hit a piece of 1/2" rod that somebody had placed in the ground to tether a dog out at one Time or another. Yesterday I ran over a Master Lock that somebody had dropped. It is impossible to see stuff in grass when the grass is taller than it is.

Carscw

Carscw

Staying away from stuff is real good in theory. However in the real world it is another matter. A couple of weeks ago I hit a piece of 1/2" rod that somebody had placed in the ground to tether a dog out at one Time or another. Yesterday I ran over a Master Lock that somebody had dropped. It is impossible to see stuff in grass when the grass is taller than it is.

Last week got to a yard grass was about 10 inch tall After I started cutting I found out at one time there was a chain link fence and they cut all the post about 3 inch from the ground

jekjr

jekjr

Last week got to a yard grass was about 10 inch tall After I started cutting I found out at one time there was a chain link fence and they cut all the post about 3 inch from the ground

I found one of those last Summer. It was filled with cement. It was the corner post. None of the ret were there.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

We change the blades every other day for sharp ones, and run the ones taken off across the blade sharpener. We scrape the decks every night, as soon as, the mowers come off the trailers. I run Dixie Choppers and run 4 blades on a 3 spindle deck. We run the X blade set on the inner spindle for mulching and creating more air to discharge the clippings further. We've a few sets but all of my Dixie's run the same blades.

I just consider it a wear and tear item, and figure it in as an operating expense. I say run them through the grinder real quick. We're working to many hours to file blades. Which i think is a better technique but it just takes to much time.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I change blades every year and I sharpen twice a year. I sharpen on a machine twice a year and I then Sharpen 3 times a week with a little thingny (I forgot the name in english!) It is just a piece of metal with patterns on it. I pass it on my blade to keep it fresh and sharp for the day.

Carscw

Carscw

I change blades every year and I sharpen twice a year. I sharpen on a machine twice a year and I then Sharpen 3 times a week with a little thingny (I forgot the name in english!) It is just a piece of metal with patterns on it. I pass it on my blade to keep it fresh and sharp for the day.

It is a file. And is the best way to keep your blades sharp.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

It is a file. And is the best way to keep your blades sharp.

Thanks! Yes, it keeps them nice and sharp and it doesn't wear them off too much. How much time do you think my blades could last if I file them 3 times a week?

exotion

exotion

Thanks! Yes, it keeps them nice and sharp and it doesn't wear them off too much. How much time do you think my blades could last if I file them 3 times a week?

As long as you don't get to the wing part of the blade

Carscw

Carscw

LOL I think he was asking how long like a month a year. But I could be wrong just this one time

jakewells

jakewells

I sharpen my blades every week because of the tough Bermuda grass and spotty crab grass in my customers yards. Only takes me a few minutes with my chain hoist to swap and i rotate sets every week between mowing 30 yards.

jekjr

jekjr

We see ours wear out on the wings at the ends before we grind them to the wings.

djdicetn

djdicetn

We change the blades every other day for sharp ones, and run the ones taken off across the blade sharpener. We scrape the decks every night, as soon as, the mowers come off the trailers. I run Dixie Choppers and run 4 blades on a 3 spindle deck. We run the X blade set on the inner spindle for mulching and creating more air to discharge the clippings further. We've a few sets but all of my Dixie's run the same blades.

I just consider it a wear and tear item, and figure it in as an operating expense. I say run them through the grinder real quick. We're working to many hours to file blades. Which i think is a better technique but it just takes to much time.

WOW....reading your post I had never even thought about mounting two blades in an "X pattern" on a single spindle!! Is that "safe"...would it void a homeowner's ZTR manufacturer's warranty if they did that on their Dixie Chopper....wouldn't one blade be slightly higher than the other on the "x spindle" and how would that affect the cut....is there any chance that could have an adverse effect on the spindle's bearings??????? I can see how technically that this would create more "turbulence", but again that's the first time I've ever read about someone doing that which raised all those questions in my mind. Can you elaborate???

exotion

exotion

WOW....reading your post I had never even thought about mounting two blades in an "X pattern" on a single spindle!! Is that "safe"...would it void a homeowner's ZTR manufacturer's warranty if they did that on their Dixie Chopper....wouldn't one blade be slightly higher than the other on the "x spindle" and how would that affect the cut....is there any chance that could have an adverse effect on the spindle's bearings??????? I can see how technically that this would create more "turbulence", but again that's the first time I've ever read about someone doing that which raised all those questions in my mind. Can you elaborate???

I think its one blade in the shape of an x not two blades...

djdicetn

djdicetn

I think its one blade in the shape of an x not two blades...

Well, the image in your mind when you hear "X blades" are blade(s) in the shape on an X. But after your comment, I googled x blades, and after sorting through the Playstation 3 game hits....found the link below that shows a picture of the Dixie Chopper X-Blade(and it's NOT in the shape of an "X" at all and looks very similar to some mulching blades I've seen). If I were a DC owner, I probably would not have asked all of those questions:0)
But, when you think about it blade(s) in the shape of an "X" may not be a bad idea at all. Linke follows:

Dixie Chopper X Blade 30227-56X - Dixie Chopper Dixie Chopper Parts Dixie Chopper Blades

djdicetn

djdicetn

Well, the image in your mind when you hear "X blades" are blade(s) in the shape on an X. But after your comment, I googled x blades, and after sorting through the Playstation 3 game hits....found the link below that shows a picture of the Dixie Chopper X-Blade(and it's NOT in the shape of an "X" at all and looks very similar to some mulching blades I've seen). If I were a DC owner, I probably would not have asked all of those questions:0)
But, when you think about it blade(s) in the shape of an "X" may not be a bad idea at all. Linke follows:

Dixie Chopper X Blade 30227-56X - Dixie Chopper Dixie Chopper Parts Dixie Chopper Blades

P.S.
Meanwhile to make a comment relative to the thread topic(I'm bad about hijacking/sidebarring a thread:0)
I just put a mulch kit on my Gravely which has about 31 hours on it. The OEM blades I removed seemed to still be in fairly good shape and sharp(although not "razor sharp"). As a homeowner, I would lean towards sharpening & balancing blades once a season or every 50 hours(whichever comes first). Even at 50 hours, for a commercial user, that would probably be at least weekly or maybe a little more often(based upon a "40 hour work week", although I'm sure some guys mow more than that weekly).

P.S.S.
To keep with my predisposition to sidebar a thread topic.....check out the link below for something referred to as a "Meg-Mo System", which appears to indeed be four blades in the shape of an X.....I cannot elude to whether it is a gimmick or for real as I have only read one post where a user was asking about them:
http://www.meg-mo.com/

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

P.S.
Meanwhile to make a comment relative to the thread topic(I'm bad about hijacking/sidebarring a thread:0)
I just put a mulch kit on my Gravely which has about 31 hours on it. The OEM blades I removed seemed to still be in fairly good shape and sharp(although not "razor sharp"). As a homeowner, I would lean towards sharpening & balancing blades once a season or every 50 hours(whichever comes first). Even at 50 hours, for a commercial user, that would probably be at least weekly or maybe a little more often(based upon a "40 hour work week", although I'm sure some guys mow more than that weekly).

P.S.S.
To keep with my predisposition to sidebar a thread topic.....check out the link below for something referred to as a "Meg-Mo System", which appears to indeed be four blades in the shape of an X.....I cannot elude to whether it is a gimmick or for real as I have only read one post where a user was asking about them:
Meg-Mo Systems - Lawn Mower Blades, Replacement Mower Blades, Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades, Mulch Grass

Seems a little strange like blade. I do like there dethathcing rake tho!

jekjr

jekjr

P.S.

We cut a lot of Bahia grass. In fact I would say 98% of the yards we cut have some. Most people we encounter as well only want their grass cut every two weeks. Under those conditions if you get 8 hours out of a set of blades before you sharpen them you have done good. If you do. To have sharp blades cutting Bahia grass it will start stringing instead of cutting. Sme times we only get about 5 to 6 hours running before we have to stop and change out blades.

I can't even comprehend running a set of blades for 40 hours under those conditions. In fact I don't believe a set will run 40 hours even if they are kept sharp after 40 hours the wings and tips will be worn through.

djdicetn

djdicetn

P.S.

We cut a lot of Bahia grass. In fact I would say 98% of the yards we cut have some. Most people we encounter as well only want their grass cut every two weeks. Under those conditions if you get 8 hours out of a set of blades before you sharpen them you have done good. If you do. To have sharp blades cutting Bahia grass it will start stringing instead of cutting. Sme times we only get about 5 to 6 hours running before we have to stop and change out blades.

I can't even comprehend running a set of blades for 40 hours under those conditions. In fact I don't believe a set will run 40 hours even if they are kept sharp after 40 hours the wings and tips will be worn through.

Yeah, I guess the type of grass can make a big difference in wearing down the edge of the blades. Mine is KY Fescue, which is probably not as hard on blades as the Bahia. Kinda makes me glad I don't have Bahia grass!!! If I were mowing commercially like you, I would make the "price-per-cut" more attractive if performed weekly instead of bi-weekly to offset the time and labor of stopping and changing out blades(time is money in your business...right). In other words if you charged them $150 to mow bi-weekly and $50 to mow weekly(just an example) wouldn't they be more inclined to have you mow weekly and save $50??? Couldn't you structure your pricing in a manner to make the "weekly "contract" more affordable per cut for the homeowner than the "bi-weekly contract"????

jekjr

jekjr

Yeah, I guess the type of grass can make a big difference in wearing down the edge of the blades. Mine is KY Fescue, which is probably not as hard on blades as the Bahia. Kinda makes me glad I don't have Bahia grass!!! If I were mowing commercially like you, I would make the "price-per-cut" more attractive if performed weekly instead of bi-weekly to offset the time and labor of stopping and changing out blades(time is money in your business...right). In other words if you charged them $150 to mow bi-weekly and $50 to mow weekly(just an example) wouldn't they be more inclined to have you mow weekly and save $50??? Couldn't you structure your pricing in a manner to make the "weekly "contract" more affordable per cut for the homeowner than the "bi-weekly contract"????

I get my blades sharpened and balanced for $10 a set of three by a guy right up the road from my house. It takes all of 10 minutes. Change a set of blades on my ZD326 and about the same for the ZG222. There is no way we could drop the price much and come out. It does take a little longer to cut grass that tall but competition is tight and more yards than not we have to stay low ball to keep them.

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

No exact rule but I check blades regular and sharpen about every 30-40 hours try to use rainy day for such.

jekjr

jekjr

No exact rule but I check blades regular and sharpen about every 30-40 hours try to use rainy day for such.

In July August and Sept this year we were not able tog t more than 6 to 8 hours out of a set without sharpening them because of the Bahia Grass.

L

LakeRat1

I mow about 3 &1/2 ac. up until the first of June I was Mowing this with a JD LT 445 with a 60 in/ cut, the first of June I got a Toro 3000, with a 52 in cut, what I have found is the Blades stay shape longer on the ZTR, I am not sure if its because of the High speed Blade Tips, or because the deck of the ZTR is suspended from the Tractor, where as the deck of the JD 445 was rolling on the ground, I have about 55 hrs on the ZTR & have sharpen the blades twice, on the JD I had to sharpen the blades about ever 10 or 15 hr. one thing there is a lot of sand in places, this may help dull the blades, the Blades on the ZTR turn much faster than on the JD LT

Carscw

Carscw

I mow about 3 &1/2 ac. up until the first of June I was Mowing this with a JD LT 445 with a 60 in/ cut, the first of June I got a Toro 3000, with a 52 in cut, what I have found is the Blades stay shape longer on the ZTR, I am not sure if its because of the High speed Blade Tips, or because the deck of the ZTR is suspended from the Tractor, where as the deck of the JD 445 was rolling on the ground, I have about 55 hrs on the ZTR & have sharpen the blades twice, on the JD I had to sharpen the blades about ever 10 or 15 hr. one thing there is a lot of sand in places, this may help dull the blades, the Blades on the ZTR turn much faster than on the JD LT

Easy don't use the JD blades get after market blades.
Heck they build their mowers cheap did you think they would make good blades

N

Nicholas Schulz

Don't sharp blades so often, sharp them when seasons changes, that means in year 3-4 time sharping is sufficient use them by swaping each other it will help to keep life of blade durable but if your blades are so old then sharp them regularly as per need.

E

edd

hey JEKJR you seem to be in the same boat i am in southeast alabama....i sharpen blades until there aint much left to sharpen and pick a set depending on which yard i am cutting....competition is stiff over here too ....if i will do it for 50 somebody else will do it for 40.....have to sqeeze every penny

C

CardinalLawnCare

We usually have around 6 to 7 sets of blades just to make sure since we have a lot of clients. There are also some with very huge lawns so we had to change blades more often for this. We sharpen them before the end of the day so we will have newly sharpened blades for the next day.

jekjr

jekjr

Don't sharp blades so often, sharp them when seasons changes, that means in year 3-4 time sharping is sufficient use them by swaping each other it will help to keep life of blade durable but if your blades are so old then sharp them regularly as per need.

We wear the ends out on them. On a mower that runs all day most days daily is a must. 3 to 4 times a year I don't think so.

lzn197

lzn197

I let the tips of the cut grass tell me. That usually equates to 15 to 25 cuts. If it's a dry season, the dust and dirt areas cause more edge wear.

jekjr

jekjr

I let the tips of the cut grass tell me. That usually equates to 15 to 25 cuts. If it's a dry season, the dust and dirt areas cause more edge wear.

We normally end up cutting a yard every 14 days. Many times those yards will have sticks and other things in the grass that is covered so that you don't see it. Most times everything we cut will be brutal on a lawn mower especially if it is a rainy summer. That is why we have to sharpen blades so much. It would be nice to cut well manicure lawns that we could cut every few days and blades stay sharp for long periods of time. Unfortunately it does not happen for us.

wjjones

wjjones

I have 3 sets to swap a sharp set out every week, and clean out the deck while I have the mower jacked up.

X-man

X-man

Like I said before, I sharpen my blades several times a year, and I replace them every spring. I have a tendency to neglect my blades.:thumbdown:
But the thing is, I've never had a problem with my lawns looking like crap.

On average, I mow 30 lawns per week, each lawn takes about 10 minutes to mow (I mow in a trailer park, in case anybody didn't know).

I also scrape out the mowing deck each time I (A) have the mowers flipped over, or.. (B) have the mowing deck removed from the tractor.

Carscw

Carscw

Just changed my blades on my husqvarna 2448 Got a new set for $30 would have bought 10 sets from him but he only had the one.

$20 a set for the cub cadet.

jekjr

jekjr

Just changed my blades on my husqvarna 2448 Got a new set for $30 would have bought 10 sets from him but he only had the one. $20 a set for the cub cadet.

Our Kubota dealer has blades at $30 for my 60" deck and $27 for the 48" deck. Oregon blades.

Carscw

Carscw

Our Kubota dealer has blades at $30 for my 60" deck and $27 for the 48" deck. Oregon blades.

Per blade or all 3

jekjr

jekjr

Per blade or all 3

Set of three.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Set of three.

That is a good price!

jekjr

jekjr

That is a good price!

Yep it is. A parts house named Covington Heavy Duty has blades at a comparable price to that as well. They stock or can order about any kind you need. The dealer I use sells Kubota, Scag, and Exmart, mowers. I think those are the only blades they sell.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yep it is. A parts house named Covington Heavy Duty has blades at a comparable price to that as well. They stock or can order about any kind you need. The dealer I use sells Kubota, Scag, and Exmart, mowers. I think those are the only blades they sell.

Lucky you! I wish there was more mower support around here. The U.S.A knows how to do business!

jekjr

jekjr

Lucky you! I wish there was more mower support around here. The U.S.A knows how to do business!

Covington Heavy Duty quoted me $13.09 each for Gator Blades for my ZD326 Kubota.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Covington Heavy Duty quoted me $13.09 each for Gator Blades for my ZD326 Kubota.

Very good deal! I pay about 20$ for a 21" blade around here!