change hydro oil

RevB

Threads
RevB, I do have the reservoir tank on my machine. Its mounted to the frame of the machine. Good idea on the sucker. I'll look for one, though I'd think that would drain out when the filters are removed. "new ones filled with fluid": The trans filter mounts in sideways. It looks like the fluid would just spill out putting them back in full.
Sounds like crap engineering...or perhaps just limited space engineering. Each side of my ZT has its own filter but serviced by a common tank. In your case sounds like you'll have to do the air bleed just for the filter location/orientation. Amazon has plenty of suckers....😎.

RevB

Threads
RevB, I do have the reservoir tank on my machine. Its mounted to the frame of the machine. Good idea on the sucker. I'll look for one, though I'd think that would drain out when the filters are removed. "new ones filled with fluid": The trans filter mounts in sideways. It looks like the fluid would just spill out putting them back in full.
Well, got off my ass and looked at your rig’s setup. The filters are down on the transaxle/pump unit so it's a pretty monolithic unit. Page 35 and 36 of the owners manual are pretty clear about the procedure and torque values.Just make sure you have an inch/pound scale. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned about the vent plug torque as these are just plugs. I could probably do it by feel but it wouldn't be accurate...proceed as you see fit/comfortable with.

jcworks

Threads
99% of hydro failures happen because the oil and in particular the very fine particulates in the oil were paths between the slots in the valve plate or between the valve plate and the piston chest out of the system.
So to a big extent the more often you change the oil the better as every time you drop the oil the particulates in the oil you toss are removed.
The fact that you never remove 100% is irrevelent .

As for tension wrenches
People who do this eery day of the week end up with a proper feel for proper tightness
People who do this once every 5 years do not

Way back at a show a mod flogging tension wrenches had a stand with 5 bolts into blocks of steel
The public was invited to do them up to the specified tension & any one who got all 5 right won a tension wrench
In 3 days of classic car & motorcycle owners / repairers / restorers lining up to have a go they gave away 8
And no I was not one of the 8 despite trying at least a dozen times over the weekend because I really wanted one of their 6" torque wrenches .

Professions can usually wing it , advising rank ametures to wing it is a bad idea unless you want to replace a lot of broken off breathers .
I have just gotten back to work after a debilitating arthritus attack and funny enough when I check what I have done most are drastically under tightened .
Now I might get my "feel" back or I might not but until that day a quick check is a lot easier that a liability claim against me .
Bert, Good luck with the arthritis. I take 15mg Meloxicam . Works very well for me, and my wife too, but everybody is diff. You might ask your doctor about it see what he says.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, Good luck with the arthritis. I take 15mg Meloxicam . Works very well for me, and my wife too, but everybody is diff. You might ask your doctor about it see what he says.
Worked out I have had it for 20 years or more
The heavy bushfire smoke from the 2019 fires caused it to flair up to become chronic to the point of near fatality
Methotrexate alone did not cut it so it was suplimented with Trumps favourite pills , hydroxichloroquin but still chronic every time I came off the steroids
Finally got it under control with pills , diet & exercise then backed off the meds to the point that I am down to 5mg of meth once a fortnight and looking to be off that by the end of the year .
Good luck with yours because every case is different .
I can live with slightly swollen hands & ankles every morning which encourages me to do my exercises daily to get the swelling down .
Seems to be working for now .
Only down side is I am useless work wise till mid morning

slapshot

Threads
The torque values for the vent plugs (which just have an O ring on them) is 120 INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. I just did mine.

jcworks

Threads
Worked out I have had it for 20 years or more
The heavy bushfire smoke from the 2019 fires caused it to flair up to become chronic to the point of near fatality
Methotrexate alone did not cut it so it was suplimented with Trumps favourite pills , hydroxichloroquin but still chronic every time I came off the steroids
Finally got it under control with pills , diet & exercise then backed off the meds to the point that I am down to 5mg of meth once a fortnight and looking to be off that by the end of the year .
Good luck with yours because every case is different .
I can live with slightly swollen hands & ankles every morning which encourages me to do my exercises daily to get the swelling down .
Seems to be working for now .
Only down side is I am useless work wise till mid morning
I had no idea brush fire smoke could do that. You must be in Calif.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No I am in Australia
The fire smoke was so thick that I could not see my feet on the steps .
Should have stayed inside but the fire front was only 750 yards away and I had a line of desperate people at the gate with fire pumps that would not start and by this time there were no pumps available from any shop in Sydney .
So one is not going to tell a customer "tough luck about your pump, go home & pray " are you ?
I did 47 Honda carbs in one day and considering the situation they were $ 20 each on the day the fire jumped Warragamba dam and free there in after as all I could do was stand there and instruct .
Basically there was 2000 miles of fire with a couple of unburned patches along the fire front .
Quite frightening as the smoke was so thick you could not see the flames till you were standing in them so every 2 hours it was crank up my pump and wet down the roof then 20 yards around the workshop .
Ash drop was so heavy that it blocked the gutters when I hosed the roof .

jcworks

Threads
No I am in Australia
The fire smoke was so thick that I could not see my feet on the steps .
Should have stayed inside but the fire front was only 750 yards away and I had a line of desperate people at the gate with fire pumps that would not start and by this time there were no pumps available from any shop in Sydney .
So one is not going to tell a customer "tough luck about your pump, go home & pray " are you ?
I did 47 Honda carbs in one day and considering the situation they were $ 20 each on the day the fire jumped Warragamba dam and free there in after as all I could do was stand there and instruct .
Basically there was 2000 miles of fire with a couple of unburned patches along the fire front .
Quite frightening as the smoke was so thick you could not see the flames till you were standing in them so every 2 hours it was crank up my pump and wet down the roof then 20 yards around the workshop .
Ash drop was so heavy that it blocked the gutters when I hosed the roof .
OH NO. I'm so sorry, I had no idea this happened down under. I guess our American news media never told us about this, as I don't recall anything about that. They've been too busy pushing woke ideology. But its possible I have forgotten it; my memory isn't what it once was. I can't imagine that much smoke and ash.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This was Dec 2019 through to march 2020
Not many Aust stories make it to USA news but Cal did send over 300 volunteers so it may have .