change hydro oil

jcworks

Threads
I have a 10 yr old Toro MX5060. 300 hrs. Two local dealers have told me there's no need to change the hydro oil till 500 hrs. I was talking to a rep at the Hyro Gear (I think thats the name of the Co.) about another issue and during the discussion he told me it should be changed. I'd like to hear from people who know on here that does not have any vested interest in the issue. My gut feeling is to have it changed, but I don't know. That brings up another thing -- I don't know if I feel comfortable draining and refilling the hydros. Is it something a homeowner like me can do?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
change the oil
Not a big job to do
Instructions are on the Hydro gear web page
I like to do them then leave the mower for a couple of days before I purge the air out of the system .
Only real trick is to run the engine as slow as possible and make sure the wheels are jacked up so there is no load on the hydro .

Lawn Addict
Threads
No mention of which Hydros ya have ?

jcworks

Threads
change the oil
Not a big job to do
Instructions are on the Hydro gear web page
I like to do them then leave the mower for a couple of days before I purge the air out of the system .
Only real trick is to run the engine as slow as possible and make sure the wheels are jacked up so there is no load on the hydro .
Thanks Bert, I will change the hydro oil. I read the manual on HydorGear's website. It sounds easy enough to do. However there's two things I have to contend with. (1) The purging procedure first says (with wheels jacked up) to move the control arms with the bypass valves open, then move the control arms forward and backward 5 or 6 times with the wheels jacked up, engine idling. Repeat with the bypass valves closed. Then do the same thing with wheels on the ground. In an earlier conversation between you and I about the bypass rods and bypass arms I was able to get one side to disengage as it should. You helped a lot on that. The other side I wasn't able to free it up. So, to change oil by the book I'll have to try again to free up that bypass valve. (2) I don't have a torque wrench as the manual suggests torquing the top port plugs to 120 lbs. Maybe I will just have to take it in for the hydro oil change. Two Toro dealers I mentioned this to previously both said wait till 500 hours. So I did. The HydroGear guy though said it already should have been done. Finding an independent like yourself in the Birmingham area ain't easy. I'll look though.

Last edited:

jcworks

Threads

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
MParr, the link you provided is for other hydros different from mine. Mine is a ZT 2800. Anyway, on page 13 of that link it doesn't mention removing the hydros. Its worded the same as the ZT 2800 manual.
Do they have filters on them? If you have filters, all of the oil will drain from the oil filter mounting spud. If not, you have two options. One is to remove and dump the oil or you will need a fluid extractor..