Champion Generator

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want some confusion deal with US 110/220 volt power and portable generators. Some have 3 wire output some have 4 wire. Some have a ground lug some don't. UTUBE is awash with idiots showing how to incorrectly hook a portable genny to a house for backup power. There should be a test to be able to shop in the electrical aisle at the home improvement stores.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want some confusion deal with US 110/220 volt power and portable generators. Some have 3 wire output some have 4 wire. Some have a ground lug some don't. UTUBE is awash with idiots showing how to incorrectly hook a portable genny to a house for backup power. There should be a test to be able to shop in the electrical aisle at the home improvement stores.

Being smart enough to know you're dumb, makes you pretty smart. Speaking about myself, of course. Part of my conversation with my brother, about the pig tail, was something along the lines of "I don't have a clue as to how to wire it in. So it might be best to just replace the loose switch."
When I disconnected the wires, to get the gen free from the engine, I took pictures and labeled the colors.
I supposed I should've taken a few minutes to look up what each wire was for.

HurstGN

Threads
So, you're saying I shouldn't start-up my generator in the bathroom during a power outage so I can plug in my hair dryer to use while I'm taking a shower?!? How will I ever get my hair dry? :eek::p

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have seen some really creative (dangerous) things done with large quantities of highly motivated electrons. Like the guy who made an adapter box that plugs into the 50amp 220volt campground outlet converting down to 110 volt with 14ga wire and of course it is breakered at 50 amp.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is called natural selection.

It is like the guy that lost a finger in press. When ask to demonstrate how he lost the finger, he proceeded to lose another finger.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can’t count the times I’ve had a portable generator come in after the owner has adjusted the RPMS and had tools burn out. 90% of people don’t know that there is a thing called hertz, which is affected by the engine speed. You must adjust 110V to 50 hertz and 120V to 60 hertz most of the time, but not always. You have to look at the ID tag, as some units coming from overseas are different. Had one customer burn out his radial arm saw and two circular saws, plus portable radio and couldn’t figure out why. Unit was adjusted to 3500 RPMS, 110V, and 72 hertz, constant speed with no idea down. Even the wires were melting.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can’t count the times I’ve had a portable generator come in after the owner has adjusted the RPMS and had tools burn out. 90% of people don’t know that there is a thing called hertz, which is affected by the engine speed. You must adjust 110V to 50 hertz and 120V to 60 hertz most of the time, but not always. You have to look at the ID tag, as some units coming from overseas are different. Had one customer burn out his radial arm saw and two circular saws, plus portable radio and couldn’t figure out why. Unit was adjusted to 3500 RPMS, 110V, and 72 hertz, constant speed with no idea down. Even the wires were melting.

All of that is talk about "hertz" is greek to me. Thanks for the info. I gotta start doing some research.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are in north 'merica the AC pawer on the grid has a frequency of 60HZ. That means the power line voltage goes fom +max to zero to -max 60 times in one second. Any conventionl generator connected to the grid must be synchronized to the phase and frequency of the grid. For that reason and backfeeding and possibly killing a lineman you NEVER connect a portable generator to the grid. Equipment connected to portable generators are at the mercy of the generator for voltage and frequency. Some devices don't care and some let the magic smoke out if the voltage/frequency is wrong.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
All of that is talk about "hertz" is greek to me. Thanks for the info. I gotta start doing some research.
Some people will refer to hertz as cycles. And most portable gas generators due to what is called governor droop will run around 3750 rpm which creates about 62 hertz/cycles. When a load is put on the generator the engine should run closer to 3600 rpm which creates 60 hertz. This is true for what is called 2 brush generators, Some will have 4 brushes, which will turn 1800 rpm for 60 hertz, think bigger stationary gen sets,

For comparison a generator running at 3000 rpm will produce 50 hertz.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
But wait!........ some guy on the internet told me you can get more power out of your portable generator by bending the thingy to make it run faster and it will make your 6000 watt generator a 7000 watt generator. Whatever a watt is. It's on the internet so it must be true. ?