Champion Generator

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You hit the nail right on the head. Thanks man. This darn thing is done.
Other crap that got fixed on this:
New fuel tank, rebuilt carb, cleaned and tightened the 110 plug. It was corroded, and so loose that anything you plugged into it, would just fall out in like 5 seconds.
Repaired the mounts. recoil, Air filter housing, Still got got get a new oil sending unit.

I'm glad to be done with this. More more glad of the knowledge I got from this project.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and links.

When I get a genny in with a loose AC socket, I replace it with a waterproof one that takes a plug with a screw in locking ring.
Then I make up a short lead with the screw lock plug on one end and a standard socket on the other.
The other trick that works really well is to fit a cable clamp near the socket so the vibrations do not cause the plug to fall out.
A loose plug is really bad for the generator as when it is just making contact you get both a high resistance joint and rapid make & break which sends the governor into a freenzy.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I get a genny in with a loose AC socket, I replace it with a waterproof one that takes a plug with a screw in locking ring.
Then I make up a short lead with the screw lock plug on one end and a standard socket on the other.
The other trick that works really well is to fit a cable clamp near the socket so the vibrations do not cause the plug to fall out.
A loose plug is really bad for the generator as when it is just making contact you get both a high resistance joint and rapid make & break which sends the governor into a freenzy.

Funny you should mention that. My brother and I was talking about this pig tail he made a few years ago that needs a new plug. I asked if about wiring it in directly to the Gen. It's about 2ft. long.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to hear that you got it done!

Thanks man. This my first time to replace all the contents that make up a gov. I already had about $100 in parts, (tank, carb, now 2 gov's). Plus a lot of time repairing the mounts. And a boat load of cleaning.

It was interesting to say the least. And very frustrating at the same time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should mention that. My brother and I was talking about this pig tail he made a few years ago that needs a new plug. I asked if about wiring it in directly to the Gen. It's about 2ft. long.
Illegal to do here but if you go that way make sure it is clamped very tight to the genny frame because the wire will work harden then start to brake .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Illegal to do here but if you go that way make sure it is clamped very tight to the genny frame because the wire will work harden then start to brake .

Illegal? It's almost the same thing as plugging in an extention cord.

The pig tail was to keep the plug from vibrating so much.

tadawson

Threads
Thanks man. This my first time to replace all the contents that make up a gov. I already had about $100 in parts, (tank, carb, now 2 gov's). Plus a lot of time repairing the mounts. And a boat load of cleaning.

It was interesting to say the least. And very frustrating at the same time.

Look at it this way: No matter what the engine, you now have one less task to fear! As I said going in, it isn't too bad, but you do have to work through it once to be confident!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Illegal because people chuck them around, the loose wire gets mangled then you get zapped when starting the genny.
Where as a short lead with a plug at both ends generally gets removed from the genny when it is being moved around.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Illegal because people chuck them around, the loose wire gets mangled then you get zapped when starting the genny.
Where as a short lead with a plug at both ends generally gets removed from the genny when it is being moved around.

LOL.. Not to get political, but the government does have a way of trying to protect us from ourselves.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LOL.. Not to get political, but the government does have a way of trying to protect us from ourselves.
A bit different down here.
Emergency ambulances are all government run and covered by most health funds for workers and free for pensioners.
Emergency hospital is also free so the more idiots they keep out of both the less it costs.
Plus lots of people being paid by the government needing to justify their pay packets.
Lots of inspectors lurking around building sites raising "stupid tax" from dodgey gear.
And we tend to be a bit slack "she'ill be right mate, just don't touch the frame after the engine starts"
Then there is the manuals are the last resort so thousands of clowns using generators all day without bothering to hook them up to a ground strap / spike.
We just had some wild weather which knocked out the power for up to a week.
In a suburb where most houses have double degree parents, several people died due to running generators inside or hooking them up to the house supply without isolating the main switch.
Heaven know what happened where the "not so well educated live" because the only time they make the news is when they are fighting with the police.