Cemeteries

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What kind of mowers are you guys using to cut grass in cemeteries? We cut two and might be interested in doing something different than what we are doing.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never done it but I think a WB with a sulky or a stander would be best. The stander would be really the top. Small footprint to go around stones.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Hustler X-ONE 60" rear discharge machine is used in a cemetery. This is the 2nd rear discharge machine and all others were side discharge.
It really depends on the layout of the cemetery, as our cemetery is over 200 years old, there was no plan to lay it out with mowing as a consideration. Years ago, sheep and goats were regulars keeping the grass down.
The new section has been setup to make mowing easier, it is only 45-50 years old.
It takes 3 people 2-3 days to do a complete mowing and trimming, with trimming being the major time consumer.
The Hustler is too big to get around many of the graves, so the trimming crew gets that work. We have two 21" push mowers with large rear wheels.
I would like to have a 42-48" wide rear discharge machine, but nobody makes one as yet. We mow 5-6 times a summer, spring cleanup, just before holidays and fall cleanup.
We still have the last of three old Gravely walk behinds with a sulky, but it is getting very tired and beatup from hitting stones which happens although not intentional!
I had suggested a 36" stander a few years ago, but it didn't happen. I still think that a stander with a mulch kit would be our best machine for close work, but we still need the Hustler to do the wider areas.
Side discharge machines will blow grass clippings up onto the base stone and sometimes onto the stone itself and the clippings will dry out quickly and stick to the stones.
Here are criteria for our situation:
Strong deck
Comfortable machine to operate.
Be able to quickly raise up the deck to get over nasty stuff. (Standers don't offer this option)
String trimmers with durable auto feed heads.
Trimmer heads that can handle the largest diameter string.
Just some thoughts!

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Hustler X-ONE 60" rear discharge machine is used in a cemetery. This is the 2nd rear discharge machine and all others were side discharge.
It really depends on the layout of the cemetery, as our cemetery is over 200 years old, there was no plan to lay it out with mowing as a consideration. Years ago, sheep and goats were regulars keeping the grass down.
The new section has been setup to make mowing easier, it is only 45-50 years old.
It takes 3 people 2-3 days to do a complete mowing and trimming, with trimming being the major time consumer.
The Hustler is too big to get around many of the graves, so the trimming crew gets that work. We have two 21" push mowers with large rear wheels.
I would like to have a 42-48" wide rear discharge machine, but nobody makes one as yet. We mow 5-6 times a summer, spring cleanup, just before holidays and fall cleanup.
We still have the last of three old Gravely walk behinds with a sulky, but it is getting very tired and beatup from hitting stones which happens although not intentional!
I had suggested a 36" stander a few years ago, but it didn't happen. I still think that a stander with a mulch kit would be our best machine for close work, but we still need the Hustler to do the wider areas.
Side discharge machines will blow grass clippings up onto the base stone and sometimes onto the stone itself and the clippings will dry out quickly and stick to the stones.
Here are criteria for our situation:
Strong deck
Comfortable machine to operate.
Be able to quickly raise up the deck to get over nasty stuff. (Standers don't offer this option)
String trimmers with durable auto feed heads.
Trimmer heads that can handle the largest diameter string.
Just some thoughts!

Walker mowers make a 48" rear discharge. It is a front deck mower.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've never done it but I think a WB with a sulky or a stander would be best. The stander would be really the top. Small footprint to go around stones.

I'd go with the 36" or 48" Toro Grandstand, close up the Flow Baffle on the discharge so your not blowing grass and your in business. The rear discharge would be nice but there just not available on many mowers. Toro does make a rear discharge. The Z Master Professional 5000 in a 60 and 72" cut.

577jersey

Threads
i would love to make a flap for my discharge chute that closes it up..i see them on ebay for like $250...way to much $ if you ask me,,one can be easily fabricated.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haul my Scag Tiger Cub around in a cargo trailer. I usually have the collection system installed which is easily removed. I keep the plastic chute and a blocking plate in the trailer along with the tools needed to install the blocking plate should I need it at a job site, two bolts install the blocking plate. I seldom use my Tiger Cub at the cemetery, but I have used it there with a blocking plate and G3 blades, the results were acceptable. Banging into stones is an operator problem!!!
I have researched various mowers that have been candidates for cemetery use, Walker, Woods and several standers. In an old cemetery, the Walker and Woods are too long to get around the close stones the are in the old part, although having a flip up deck is a definite advantage. A stander with a mulch kit would probably be the best option in these circumstances.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I used to take prisoners to several cemeteries to mow and weed whip - like mackie said it depended on that particular area or county as to what worked best - we had one that had a fleet of push honda mowers because of the layout, others had 48-60" ZTR. one cemetery that was very very hilly had all 3 of their huskavarna mowers frames crack all over from flexing. the local one that wasn't as hilly but had some hills used hustler and woods (those mowers were a big decision helper in guiding me toward a hustler. I think depending on your particular terrain and soil/grass type the ideal mower will vary greatly

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
i would love to make a flap for my discharge chute that closes it up..i see them on ebay for like $250...way to much $ if you ask me,,one can be easily fabricated.

Yeah I got the same price at the shop, I want one for the stander but when I found out the price I changed my mind real quick.