Carb linkage

Kirok

Threads
Your response has me wondering if you are just too young to understand what is needed to help people on this forum or have no clue as to what you are doing. You sound like someone who thinks the world revolves around you and we should do your bidding. Even when you’ve been asked to provide engine numbers, you would rather resort to act like a teenage who wants it their way and wants it now. If you do provide us with numbers I’m sure someone will bow to your stupidity and try to help you. When you grow up and act like a reasonable person you might get a little more respect, but not from me. I for one won’t waste my time or experience in giving you anything more than what you really deserve, a lesson from someone who is one step smarter than you. I can tell you there are two linkages on your unit, a throttle linkage connected to either the governor control or throttle plate and a choke linkage connected to the choke plate. Plus you will have a throttle control spring connected between the throttle plate and governor arm. I hope you a smart enough to understand this, or you’ve really got problems.
See when I filter through the idiot/genius bullcrap that you are trying to dole out, I can see you are trying to convey what I need to do. Unfortunately your socially retarded way of doing it, is the issue. Maybe and just maybe you can use this as a learning moment about how to address people when they are just looking for a little help and not be a wise guy trying to be funny. Come out of your mom's basement and go get some social skills.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The OP has been asked at least 3 times for the model number information, and instead is being upset over somebodies sarcasm and wanting to be argumentative. At this point I don't see a reason to continue this thread since the OP has refused to provide the information that has been asked for.

Kirok

Threads
These are governed engines. When they are not running the governor spring will hold the throttle butterfly vane wide open. When the engine is running the mechanical governor will be trying to push the vane closed and the spring is trying to pull it fully open. It is a delicate balance between the two that governs the engine speed.

When a carburetor is replaced it is advisable to check the static governor adjustment. When out adjustment the engine will usually ran at maximum possible ungoverned speed. If the governor spring is off or is broken the engine will only idle.

When being a 22 hp it is likely it is a v-twin Briggs but there many versions of these engines and we need the model and type off the valve cover. There a few different version of the engine controls on these as well.
Model is a 407777
Type is 221705
Code is 120502YG

That's off the valve cover
These are governed engines. When they are not running the governor spring will hold the throttle butterfly vane wide open. When the engine is running the mechanical governor will be trying to push the vane closed and the spring is trying to pull it fully open. It is a delicate balance between the two that governs the engine speed.

When a carburetor is replaced it is advisable to check the static governor adjustment. When out adjustment the engine will usually ran at maximum possible ungoverned speed. If the governor spring is off or is broken the engine will only idle.

When being a 22 hp it is likely it is a v-twin Briggs but there many versions of these engines and we need the model and type off the valve cover. There a few different version of the engine controls on these as well.

The OP has been asked at least 3 times for the model number information, and instead is being upset over somebodies sarcasm and wanting to be argumentative. At this point I don't see a reason to continue this thread since the OP has refused to provide the information that has been asked for
The OP has been asked at least 3 times for the model number information, and instead is being upset over somebodies sarcasm and wanting to be argumentative. At this point I don't see a reason to continue this thread since the OP has refused to provide the information that has been asked for.
Why ILENGINE is it totally acceptable to be condescending to me as all I am here to do is ask for some help. Instead of Rivets just politely asking me for the model or numbers off the valve cover, which I would have given no issues, he feeds me jokes. If you notice how Startech asked compared to Rivets, it's night and day. Trust me I didn't just sign up for this forum looking to get into a urinating contest. I can go to FB for that stuff.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
V-twin with V3 autochoke control. Plus it has governed idle.

Kirok

Threads
consider uploading some quality photos of the linkage, model numbers etc. No one can see the engine from here. All they can really say is you did something wrong, but then beyond that they are guessing.

So I replaced the carb on my 22hp Ariens riding mower. Briggs and Stratton engine. Took old carb off put new one on. Put throttle and choke linkage rods back on like before. So I thought. My problem resides with the throttle linkage. So when I start the mower, it runs at full throttle. I couldn't figure what was wrong at first then after looking, I noticed the throttle was basically wide open with the rod being pulled down by the throttle arm and spring it attaches to. It's almost like it's backwards which I know it shouldn't be. Any thoughts on why that spring arm for the throttle would be wide open as it pulls down on the throttle lever of the carb?

Thank you. I appreciate your reply. I will take some pics and post more info tomorrow.

V-twin with V3 autochoke control. Plus it has governed idle.
Ok. I tried to upload a pic of the linkage. Said file was too big. Basically, the governor arm pulls the throttle to the wide open position on the carb. That's where I am at. I thought a spring may have dislarged when I removed the old carb. Doesn't seem to be the case. Any thoughts on how to remedy the issue?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL can’t agree with you more. You must have gotten through to him, where I couldn’t, as he finally got us the numbers after six attends by four members asking for them. Now if he would do a google search, using “Briggs model $&).,#@%?! Service manual” he might find the answer to his question. I could post it for him, but I’m not going to waste the effort for someone who wouldn’t appreciate the help. He figures we own it to me, because he finally posted the numbers. He’s probably not capable of understanding the manual without adult supervision though. To quote him, “Maybe and just maybe you can use this as a learning moment about how to address people when they are just looking for a little help and not be a wise guy trying to be funny. Come out of your mom's basement and go get some social skills.”

Kirok

Threads
IL can’t agree with you more. You must have gotten through to him, where I couldn’t, as he finally got us the numbers after six attends by four members asking for them. Now if he would do a google search, using “Briggs model $&).,#@%?! Service manual” he might find the answer to his question. I could post it for him, but I’m not going to waste the effort for someone who wouldn’t appreciate the help. He figures we own it to me, because he finally posted the numbers. He’s probably not capable of understanding the manual without adult supervision though. To quote him, “Maybe and just maybe you can use this as a learning moment about how to address people when they are just looking for a little help and not be a wise guy trying to be funny. Come out of your mom's basement and go get some social skills.”
Rivet I can understand if this forum is where you feel you can compensate for your lack of manhood . I guess trying to get into a pissing contest with the new guy is your way of making yourself feel like a big man on campus. I mean as I said your a legend in your own mind. It's too bad you couldnt be just like StarTech who simply asked for the numbers off the valve cover. No wise cracks, nothing. I'll tell you what go get yourself a green crayon, leave your Mom's basement and go color the grass outside. Atta boy(giving you a virtual pat on the head)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy you just don’t know what you are going to find when you try to help people? I’m being to think this guy’s cousin is “redneck mechanic from mi” or a 13 year old girl trolling this forum. It seems to me that this is like trying to teach this city slicker why you don’t transport bulls in the same trailer as fleshing heifers. Not only he doesn’t know how to hook up carb linkages, but have any clue how a help forum works. Do you think he would understand what to do if I posted a Briggs service manual for engines with models 5-22? I think he has the same linkage set as a model 7, but could be wrong, as it could be the same as a Fairbanks Morse hit-n-miss. Maybe if he’d learn how to resize a picture we would see exact what he has. Nor has he seen how foolish he looks each time he posts. Star, it seems like he likes you so I’ll back out of this thread and let you try to help him, unless he wants to continue his obnoxious rant against me

Kirok

Threads
Boy you just don’t know what you are going to find when you try to help people? I’m being to think this guy’s cousin is “redneck mechanic from mi” or a 13 year old girl trolling this forum. It seems to me that this is like trying to teach this city slicker why you don’t transport bulls in the same trailer as fleshing heifers. Not only he doesn’t know how to hook up carb linkages, but have any clue how a help forum works. Do you think he would understand what to do if I posted a Briggs service manual for engines with models 5-22? I think he has the same linkage set as a model 7, but could be wrong, as it could be the same as a Fairbanks Morse hit-n-miss. Maybe if he’d learn how to resize a picture we would see exact what he has. Nor has he seen how foolish he looks each time he posts. Star, it seems like he likes you so I’ll back out of this thread and let you try to help him, unless he wants to continue his obnoxious rant against me
Like I said, compensating for your manhood. Instead of just saving face and helping me out you continue to be an idiot. Unfortunately, you can't see that with you thinking with your little head instead of you big head. It's too bad you turned out to be a pompous ass instead of just a helping hand. Thanks for the laughs though. Like I said don't quit your day job, you're not funny enough for comedy.

CLStout

Threads
I had a similar issue when I was replacing the carb on my 20hp Briggs and Stratton engine last summer. My issue was the throttle linkage was installed incorrectly at the choke lever. Assuming that your tractor has only a throttle/choke lever, there's 2 holes to attach the throttle cable to. I used the wrong one, which made it very difficult to start (I had to use starting fluid), and once it got running, it was at high idle, with no control. I should have taken a picture of the setup prior to changing out the carbs. Would have saved me a bunch of trouble.