Carb flooding no matter what I do...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the one with the ringed tip will leak. Some will that take a 10x loupe to see the ringing. And those shut off valve do leak too. I got a LX178 in the shop right now that the shut off valve is leaking.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes the one with the ringed tip will leak. Some will that take a 10x loupe to see the ringing. And those shut off valve do leak too. I got a LX178 in the shop right now that the shut off valve is leaking.
i see quite a few chinese copies of the briggs shut offs that leak, usually around the red lever portion
i always fit the OEM real deal with no issues.

guzzijohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mean an outboagd? If it is the old pressure tank just listen cap if it has a pump a shut off can be plumbed in. But I thought we we're talking about the tractor twin. Is it gravity fed or pumped? Either way fuel flow can be stopped by valve, clamped hose, or pulling pump vacuum line. I didn't notice if your carb was a twin throat like mine or a single throat feeling both cylinders. A bad needle or any other carb issue wouldn't effect just one side with the single throat so we're back to the sticky intake valve. Have you checked compression? One other thought is if the dead side has no spark you could possibly get raw gas spitting back.

ccheatha

Threads
older Green Craftsman riding mower : 917. 289081
hydrostatic tranny
has a 42" deck like the manual i downloaded says but, the sticker under the hood says it came with a 46"?
19.5HP B&S I/C "Turbo Cool" twin cylinder motor
Model #42E707 TYPE #2631 E1 CODE #9906085B

I did the search in here before starting this thread for "42E707 carb" and came up with 2 pages... read them all and realized none was close to my situation.
Acquired it a couple months ago for under $200 (forgot how close to 150) and planned to use it for parts for the other 3 i have.
Turns out I only snagged the ignition switch for now.....

The previous "owner" said it would start and run for a short bit then die. Said he killed the battery and gave up because it wouldn't stay running.
I took it home. Pressure washed the bee-jeebus out of it 1st!
Then took the whole engine airflow cover off of it & the carb filter assembly cover off too. A rat/mouse had made a nest in the ducting area above one cylinder. Thankfully no wires chewed or damaged. Once I had desulfided that battery it was ready to test start.

Holy cow, it was pumping fuel into the intake pipe like it was a drinking fountain. sure it did start and ran for a bit but, i turned it off due to the fuel being blown up out the intake like a fountain of fog getting everything wet.

My 1st thought, carb cleaner stat! Thankfully I was starting with an empty fuel tank when I got it home. The fuel had the proper amount of Sta-Bil in it and was a whopping 2-3 days old when I had time to do this 1st round of starting.
So thats what I did. twice 24 hours apart, just incase i missed anything the 1st time before reassembling.

Next day, tried to start it again.... same effect - fountain of fuel fog.

disassemble and really, clean the heck outta the carb one last time. then went to look on amazon for what a replacement carb , carb rebuild kit, or combo kits would cost. Time delay. Mower sat for a week with no touching it while I finished up 2 of the others. Got them done and stable.
desided to just get the carb,filters and a fuel cutoff valve combo kit & a new ignition with keys. That all arrived friday. Yesterday I swapped out the carb, filters and installed the shutoff valve. Fired it up and that new carb did the exact same fountain of fog and fuel dumping into the intake like a drinking fountain.

Now for the pics and the last detail. This is a 4 screw fuel pump design.
View attachment 57544

View attachment 57545

View attachment 57546

View attachment 57547

here are a few pics of the new carb and the 2 screenshots from the 19MB, 10 second video i made.
View attachment 57542

View attachment 57543

So heres the question. What is causing both of the carbs (original and new) to dump fuel into the intake like a drinking fountain getting everything absolutely soaked?

What more pics or tests should I do for y'alls wisdom to help solve this?

Should I of posted this in the craftsman sub folder as apposed to here?

Not my first rodeo. Not my first forum. However, I believe this is my first request for help here....
Been a member to the Sister forum TractorByNet for quite some time and even longer in MANY other forums; back 1996 for the likes of Subaru forums. I tend to use the same user ID across the boards. Ocasionally a slight spelling difference.

Just reading some of the comments near the end: wow, it took a bit of a turn there for a while with things like stimulus check discussions - LOL. Would love to see the before pics. Looks like you really got that thing cleaned up with the pressure washing. I never really pressure wash engines as I've always been afraid to get water where it's not supposed to go, but I'll blast it with air.

So... have you made any progress on the problem with gas flow?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes I kinda dragged to topic off topic. I reckon after 62 yrs I am learning that the government can't be trust to do what they pass laws to do. They promise you the Moon and then won't even give you a toothpick to get it.

As noted we do need get back on topic and forgive me for dragging off topic. In order to do the OP needs to chime in as to where they are in the repair.

guzzijohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled up images of your carb yesterday. I've never seen that one before. Among the dozens of machines I took care of at the U of MN were several portable welders with Onan flat twins. They were reliable as a rock. I wonder if that carb was another great leap forward like "Syncro -Balancing" that B&S engineers came up with. No one familiar with that engine has chimed in yet. Where is Taryn when we need him!!??

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Elvis has left the building. Guess he took the OP with him.

slomo

electrycmonk

Threads
Just reading some of the comments near the end: wow, it took a bit of a turn there for a while with things like stimulus check discussions - LOL. Would love to see the before pics. Looks like you really got that thing cleaned up with the pressure washing. I never really pressure wash engines as I've always been afraid to get water where it's not supposed to go, but I'll blast it with air.

So... have you made any progress on the problem with gas flow?
(giggles) Yeah, "Elvis sure as heck left the building, forum & state" from the looks of things....

yes I had doo doo occur IRL & the mower is still sitting on jackstands for a month now while i tended to other more pressing issues. 2 days ago i popped one head off to see that the valves do appear to both open & close correctly. Still need to do the other head to watch those valves open & close...

as for right this moment? I'm hunting for that PDF i thought I downloaded from here on the manual to check the vavle clearances with the feeler gauge.... now that found the gauge.