Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Briantii

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
I am going to wait it out and see how the bronze oillite bushings do. Not as good an option as needle or ball bearings, but time will tell. Like you, if I have to go back in, I'll opt for ball bearings.

I dunno, I think there is a good chance the oillite bushings will work well. If you notice the biggest difference in design between the HRX and all the other models is that the hrx actually gets a dust seal on BOTH sidesof the bushing.

Regarding ATF, I know it’s the wrong stuff, but the “right stuff” chipped a gear so I didn’t really care. Never had a problem with ATF and I’ve got more hours with ATF than with the right stuff.... sooo I’m not recommending it... just what I use. :)

Westman

Threads
Sharing some info: I did a search on Amazon to see if I could find an O ring that would fit the wheel cover opening where Civic used felt (his "felt" mod). I found an O-ring, silicone based that looked like it might fill that space and help block debris from entering. I ordered from Amazon and received them today. Looks like a perfect fit. I installed them on the mower, no issue, so this looks like an upgrade to Civics "felt" mod but using a silicone O-ring. Here are pics, and a link to Amazon where I found them. Amazon sent me quantity = 25. Civic and Briantii, If you want a pair, drop me a PM and I'll send a pair of them to you for your use, no charge. I have more of them than I'll ever use, lol. Amazon link:

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Briantii

Threads
Sharing some info: I did a search on Amazon to see if I could find an O ring that would fit the wheel cover opening where Civic used felt (his "felt" mod). I found an O-ring, silicone based that looked like it might fill that space and help block debris from entering. I ordered from Amazon and received them today. Looks like a perfect fit. I installed them on the mower, no issue, so this looks like an upgrade to Civics "felt" mod but using a silicone O-ring. Here are pics, and a link to Amazon where I found them. Amazon sent me quantity = 25. Civic and Briantii, If you want a pair, drop me a PM and I'll send a pair of them to you for your use, no charge. I have more of them than I'll ever use, lol. Amazon link:

Nice! Thank you for the offer, I’ve got a whole assortment though so I’ve probably got one that will fit. I’ll give it a go next time I take mine apart. Thanks!

civic

Threads
Great find Westman, looks like a better mod. Great find! I was looking today for an oil seal that is 1/2 x 11/16 and found none, however I did find 1/2 x 3/4 at work today but only 1 so far. It fits very tight but I think I can make it work. This is an obsolete part and will be looking to find another in the next few days.

sottis

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I understand all of you guys explanation of this problem, I guess you're saying that the 'plastic' bushing on the drive shaft is the cause of all of the trouble and I would agree. My question is, why doesn't this plastic bushing wear down over time and sort of solve the problem itself? Or, could a person just ream that bushing a little bit and solve the problem? I wouldn't think that a little slop in that bushing would hurt anything.

gotomow

Threads
If I understand all of you guys explanation of this problem, I guess you're saying that the 'plastic' bushing on the drive shaft is the cause of all of the trouble and I would agree. My question is, why doesn't this plastic bushing wear down over time and sort of solve the problem itself? Or, could a person just ream that bushing a little bit and solve the problem? I wouldn't think that a little slop in that bushing would hurt anything.

The plastic bushing is only part of the problem. The drive shaft in this market is not heavily zinc plated as it is in other sales markets as we have learned from another forum member down under. So the drive shaft is very prone to rusting which causes burrs that dig into the plastic bushing. The last problem is the drive train itself. Unlike normal self powered mowers the Honda engages the gearbox gears in reverse so besides the bushing/shaft problem now you've got to overcome the gearbox motion too. All three problems combine to cause lock up wheels in reverse. If the gearbox motion were not involved you would probably have an ok mower for the most part.

civic

Threads
What I have found out is the grease in the bushing wears out and you have no lubrication. There is only one seal. Dirt and grime gets into the bushing. Just take your wheel apart after one season or less and you will find debris in the gear assembly and the bushing is dry. Once you clean everything up and re-lube all is good for a while. This is why we want a permanent fix. I am tired of doing this every year or twice a year.

drozdgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
You guys have really helped me. I have a 12 year old HXA with the same problem. Dealer told me it would cost too much to install a new transmission so just throw out the mower and buy a new one. Yeah, right.

I went on McMaster Carr and bought four bronze bushings Part# 6391K214 .625" OD x .500" ID x .75" long. Since the shaft is .687" ID they slid right in. I didn't epoxy them or anything. Runs smooth as silk right now. If they start to move I will epoxy but right now a perfect solution at only $1.42 each! I will see how they hold up but right now it's better than new.

civic

Threads
drozdgreen, glad we can help, please kept us posted on how it works good or bad.

Westman

Threads
Update: My mower has been great since I added the second oil/grease seal(s) over a month ago. That was the crucial element to keeping the bushings/bearings clean and free from dirt and debris. (y) If anything changes, I'll update here. No news is good news!