Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

civic

Threads
Regarding cleaning - I use my leaf blower to blow it off. I wash it every few years... maybe. As long as you’re not mowing in the rain it gets it pretty clean. I don’t worry about the underside of the deck. I’ve not had any rust issues. Mild surface rust at worst. And no problem- I’m hoping we can get this thing sorted. I love civics ball bearing option, but mine is still doing great with the needle bearings. I’m on the fence if I should run to failure or tear down and inspect at the end of the season. Leaning towards running it to failure, but at some point it’s probably good to regrease it... so I’m not sure.
Cleaning, I always use a leaf blower too. I never or very rarely use a hose. I have only cleaned under the deck a few times once just a few months ago when I changed the belt. Not much grass but I do think it improved the mulching. My mower looks well used a few surface rust issues but not worried. Remember this thing has been under water twice. I have a thing about keeping my stuff instead of buying new every few years so I maintain all my equipment more so than anyone else or close to it. I am dying to install the sealed bearings but so hot here in upper 90's and very humid plus all is working well. Between all of us here we will find a fix and it is nice that all of us has done something different and reporting their findings.

Briantii

Threads
I am going to wait it out and see how the bronze oillite bushings do. Not as good an option as needle or ball bearings, but time will tell. Like you, if I have to go back in, I'll opt for ball bearings.
I dunno, I think there is a good chance the oillite bushings will work well. If you notice the biggest difference in design between the HRX and all the other models is that the hrx actually gets a dust seal on BOTH sidesof the bushing.

Regarding ATF, I know it’s the wrong stuff, but the “right stuff” chipped a gear so I didn’t really care. Never had a problem with ATF and I’ve got more hours with ATF than with the right stuff.... sooo I’m not recommending it... just what I use. :)

Westman

Threads
Hey, it's all good! We'll kick this thing in the rear, one way or the other! I bought this mower on Craigslist last year and have been "restoring" it since. I like to take "old" stuff and make them "new" again. My Dad gave me a shotgun 35 years ago. I took a look at it recently and it looked all of it's 55 years. I restored it, re-blued the metal and this thing could have a place in Remington's museum now. I like to take older stuff and fix them. This Honda Mower has been a project, but I am proud of it and glad I found this website to help make it better. Keep up the great work, ideas and sharing info! (y)(y)

Last edited: