Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Westman

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
wondering how this is working? i bought a used hrr216k9vka last season, used it with out the self propelling feature. tore it apart last week and found one of the wheels seized. tried to order updated parta from honda but back ordered until end of april. while I like the needle bearings not sure if the shaft will wear prematurely. did ypu ever think to use some bronze oilite bushings?

Bronze Oillite bushings are bronze bushings impregnated with oil. As the axle turns, it is lubricated by the bushing. Interesting concept and food for thought. Honda would have been much better off using those rather than the cheap plastic bushings they opted for originally. Are they better than needle bearings? Would bronze bushings (self lubricating) hold up for the long term? I picked up some needle bearings from Amazon (1/2"x11/16"x7/8"). They were packed with a clear grease which looked a lot like petroleum jelly. I flushed that grease out and repacked them with Redline CV-2. If these needle bearings fail, it won't be because of cheap grease not protecting them. OIllite bushings: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Beari...?dchild=1&qid=1592859615&s=industrial&sr=1-26

Last edited:

civic

Threads
Bronze Oillite bushings are bronze bushings impregnated with oil. As the axle turns, it is lubricated by the bushing. Interesting concept and food for thought. Honda would have been much better off using those rather than the cheap plastic bushings they opted for originally. Are they better than needle bearings? Would bronze bushings (self lubricating) hold up for the long term? I picked up some needle bearings from Amazon (1/2"x11/16"x7/8"). They were packed with a clear grease which looked a lot like petroleum jelly. I flushed that grease out and repacked them with Redline CV-2. If these needle bearings fail, it won't be because of cheap grease not protecting them. OIllite bushings: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Beari...?dchild=1&qid=1592859615&s=industrial&sr=1-26
Bronze bushings would work too. They would also need greasing, will wear and most likely need to be replaced every few years. I did get my sealed bearings today and taking them to the machinist tomorrow. They are small bearings but I do believe they will work the best. You did the right thing by replacing the grease. My needle bearings came dry. There are lots of options here and all look very promising. I didn't mind re-lubing the bushings every year but it gets old fast and want a more permanent repair.

Westman

Threads
I got my parts back from the machinist today. Needle bearings pressed into the new adjusters (L+R). I'll be starting tomorrow on disassembly of the rear wheel assembly. I'll be sanding down the axle and smoothing it out, taking my time. I'll report back and provide some pics as I progress...

civic

Threads
Here is a picture of my sealed bearing mod.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 54

civic

Threads
I got my parts back from the machinist today. Needle bearings pressed into the new adjusters (L+R). I'll be starting tomorrow on disassembly of the rear wheel assembly. I'll be sanding down the axle and smoothing it out, taking my time. I'll report back and provide some pics as I progress...
Westman, take a pic and post please

Westman

Threads
Westman, take a pic and post please

Ok, started at 10:00 am this morning and finished up around 5:00 pm with lunch break in between. I could probably cut this time in half now that I know a little bit more of what Im doing. The old adjusters and plastic bearings were totally shot. The right side was seized up. I had to use a ball peen hammer to gently persuade it off the axle. Axle was rusted up and pitted pretty good. First pic shows the seized adjuster with the other in the background. I'll save the adjusters, clean them up and probably bore them out (11/16") for bronze bushings in case the needle bearings I used don't pan out. Getting everything off wasn't that difficult, just needed patience and persistence. Struggled with that clutch cable, getting it off until I figured it out. I sanded down the axle, at least the area where it would be in contact with the needle bearing. Started with 100 grit and worked up to 600 grit. Got the axle shiny. Certainly less pitted and no rust. I got the thing back together and noticed a small spring laying on the garage floor under the mower. Not the small springs at the end of the axle, but a little bigger. I should take a picture of it and see if you guys know what it is, LOL. I have no idea. After some trial and error, installing the rear wheels too far forward and then fixing that, everything went back together. I previously drained the oil and gas as I had the mower upside down to work on. I use Redline 10w-40 oil and premium (no ethanol) gas. Got that done and the engine started 2nd pull. No locked wheels when pulling in reverse. It has just a little resistance, but not much and certainly way better than it was. I also replaced the drive belt from the trans to the blade. That seems to be ok. Seems more responsive than it was, like it wants to immediately "go". Looks like this was a "fix" but only time will tell. Now I need to start mowing and see how it does. I'll report back any issues. Thanks guys for the valuable info and willingness to share success or failures. We'll get this thing fixed for sure! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0064[1].JPG
    IMG_0064[1].JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 45

Westman

Threads
Here is the pic of that spring I found under the mower when I finished. I have no idea where it came from, but it must have come from the mower, some where. Anybody have any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 5

civic

Threads
Your axle looks great. I have never removed the trans. I polish the axle with scotch brite pad. Mine is pitted but not bad. I have no idea what that spring is. Are you sure it came off your mower?

Briantii

Threads
Here is the pic of that spring I found under the mower when I finished. I have no idea where it came from, but it must have come from the mower, some where. Anybody have any idea?

I believe the spring is for your pinion gear on axle. See which side doesn’t click when you turn the wheels forward. You need that for sure. You maybe only one wheel drive without it.

Also nice job getting the bearings done! If it helps, mine is still holding up great. Zero issues since Late September / early October when I did it. I do like Civic’s ball bearing setup better - that’s what I’d originally envisioned but never could find the right combo to make it work.