Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Westman

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
I just purchased a luggage scale for $6 on Amazon. I should have it Sunday. I’ll measure the lbs in pull back and let you know. I live at the top of a ridge. We get some biblical rainfall and flash flooding but are immune to floods because we are up high and the ground displaces water quickly since it is mostly shale rock. A couple months ago we had 7” of rain in one hour. It all ran off. We are lucky where we are.

Westman

Threads
Ok, my el cheapo luggage scale didn't arrive today from Amazon, so I'll measure tomorrow if it arrives. In the mean time, I'll post these diagrams for those new to this Honda inspired engineering debacle. The trans assembly, close up of the adjuster assembly and the rear wheel assembly for the HRR2168VKA, probably almost identical to other Honda mowers in the same family.

Attachments

• 41J1DCUmNnL._AC_.jpg
    41J1DCUmNnL._AC_.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 34519498190_9202febbb1_o.png
    34519498190_9202febbb1_o.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.ashx.jpeg
    image.ashx.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 48

Westman

Threads
Question for the forum: How many here mulch as opposed to rear bagging the grass clippings? Mulching I would think might contribute to more debris flying around the under carriage. Briantii's addition of the second oil/grease seal on the wheel side of the adjuster is critical to keeping the adjuster bearings free of debris. This could be the key to the entire issue. I'm probably going to go back and add the second seal since I left it out. Will require more work, but I think it is worth it. I'm a slow learner, but I usually get there eventually.

Briantii

Threads
Question for the forum: How many here mulch as opposed to rear bagging the grass clippings? Mulching I would think might contribute to more debris flying around the under carriage. Briantii's addition of the second oil/grease seal on the wheel side of the adjuster is critical to keeping the adjuster bearings free of debris. This could be the key to the entire issue. I'm probably going to go back and add the second seal since I left it out. Will require more work, but I think it is worth it. I'm a slow learner, but I usually get there eventually.

I go back and forth probably 50/50. The more I think about it I really think sealing up the side is the real secret. Civics felt idea is really good. Combine that with the extra seal and the plastic bushings maybe good enough. I do believe bearings are better, but may not be as critical as the seal.

civic

Threads
The only time I don't mulch is in the Spring when weeds are present. After that around Mid April I mulch 100%.
Update on felt. We had lots of rain last week. I mowed when there was an opportunity on Thursday. The grass was moist not dry but not wet. I mowed today and I felt the mower was a bit hard to roll back. However the grass was very thick. I will measure the pull back and report back. I have been noticing lately the mower will be a bit hard to pull back at times but when engine off and on concrete no issues. It is possible I need to adjust the smart drive cable.

Briantii

Threads
The only time I don't mulch is in the Spring when weeds are present. After that around Mid April I mulch 100%.
Update on felt. We had lots of rain last week. I mowed when there was an opportunity on Thursday. The grass was moist not dry but not wet. I mowed today and I felt the mower was a bit hard to roll back. However the grass was very thick. I will measure the pull back and report back. I have been noticing lately the mower will be a bit hard to pull back at times but when engine off and on concrete no issues. It is possible I need to adjust the smart drive cable.

It wouldn't surprise me if you're still getting dust and gunk in past the outer portion where the dust cover goes against the wheel. I wonder if there is room to felt line that larger area as well.

Westman

Threads
Ok, I measured the pull on my mower. From a dead stop on a level concrete floor (garage) going backward it measured 4.8 pounds. Once it was moving, 3.5-3.8 pounds.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, I measured the pull on my mower. From a dead stop on a level concrete floor (garage) going backward it measured 4.8 pounds. Once it was moving, 3.5-3.8 pounds. Pic is what came from Amazon today.
How much out in the yard? Up hill? Tall grass? Windy days? We need a spread sheet please.

slomo

civic

Threads
Ok, I measured the pull on my mower. From a dead stop on a level concrete floor (garage) going backward it measured 4.8 pounds. Once it was moving, 3.5-3.8 pounds.
I just checked mine and it is about 5.0 from start to 3.5 once rolling. This is after a few times of measuring. So we are about the same so my felt must be working so far.

civic

Threads
How much out in the yard? Up hill? Tall grass? Windy days? We need a spread sheet please.

slomo
slomo, like the idea go ahead with that spreadsheet. We would also need to know the degrees uphill, might as well do down hill too, how tall the grass is, what kind of grass, and how windy.