Can't get wheels off.

I had the same problem with my wheels. I did brake the axle clip and the axle came out with the wheel on it.
Then I put it in a bearing press and pushed it out.. I then learned the inside of the trans-axle. I have another
set that I need to get off and they have been soaking for three weeks and don't move yet. I may try to move
the key back and forth. Or maybe I'll remove the axles and press them off! :eek:....
It looks like you have one ring clip and one "E" clip. Remove both. Try a puller using the holes, but be careful
not to bend the wheels. Are you going to restore or just use the mower? You may just want to get new wheels
and cut off the old ones.....
LB
 
WOW Unless you can change the tires on the tractor it is going to take a lot of penetrating oil and patience.
Heat will just burn up the axle seals.
 
Thanks for all the help! I am planning on restoring the tractor to a certain point, (getting it moving and repainted) but don't have the equipment to press the bearings or to even cut those sorry lookin tires off. My neighbor said he could do it, but all he did was cut one tire, gave up, and called it a basket case. I was not able to break the bead or anything. I think getting the wheels off the axle may be out of the question.Any tips on replacing tires while the rims are ON the axle? Thank y'all in advance.
 
Thanks for all the help! I am planning on restoring the tractor to a certain point, (getting it moving and repainted) but don't have the equipment to press the bearings or to even cut those sorry lookin tires off. My neighbor said he could do it, but all he did was cut one tire, gave up, and called it a basket case. I was not able to break the bead or anything. I think getting the wheels off the axle may be out of the question.Any tips on replacing tires while the rims are ON the axle? Thank y'all in advance.

You need to get the bad tires off. Hacksaw, hammer, lg screwdrivers.
I know you will have one hell of a time getting the wheels off! I would
drill a hole as close to the hub as possible and cut down to the Key.
 
silver1 said:
You need to get the bad tires off. Hacksaw, hammer, lg screwdrivers.
I know you will have one hell of a time getting the wheels off! I would
drill a hole as close to the hub as possible and cut down to the Key.

What exactly is the key?
 
:smile: The key, which is a half moon, locks your rim to the axle. You will have to remove the snap ring and c-clip before those rims will even try to move. Do you know someone that has a cutting torch? If so, have them cut the center out of the rim, leaving the hub on the axle and then using a cut off tool, cut the thru the hub lengthways. You can then split of the hub to remove it from the axle. Be careful when cutting the hub, so as not to cut into the axle. Doing this you will have to come up with either new or used rims. I have used this method several times.
 
:smile: The key, which is a half moon, locks your rim to the axle. You will have to remove the snap ring and c-clip before those rims will even try to move. Do you know someone that has a cutting torch? If so, have them cut the center out of the rim, leaving the hub on the axle and then using a cut off tool, cut the thru the hub lengthways. You can then split of the hub to remove it from the axle. Be careful when cutting the hub, so as not to cut into the axle. Doing this you will have to come up with either new or used rims. I have used this method several times.

Thanks for all the help! I am planning on restoring the tractor to a certain point, (getting it moving and repainted) but don't have the equipment to press the bearings or to even cut those sorry lookin tires off.

As I can see it skillet just doesn't have the tools to do this. Yes this is how you or I would remove these wheels. Maybe bring it to a shop that has these tools?, rent tools, or buy tools. If you are going to restore tractors you will need some equipment to do so. getting it moving will take more then paint, these are just cold hard facts sorry.
 
Is there a way that y'all know of where I can just break the bead and take them off? Is it that hard to just replace them on the rim?
 
What I have done in the pass is take a very large dull chisel and hammer and go around the rim at the tire bead. They do make a specal chisel for this.
 
Back
Top