California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
The weight is not directly proportional to the energy content and the 2H2 + O2 => 2H2O is a very powerful reaction.
Most of the big diesel engine makers are actually running H2 engines, Cat definately has some & JCB are partnering with Fortesque Mining down here to convert all of the iron ore trains to Hydrogen power .
At the moment I think they have only 1 hydrogen train and around 50 hydrogen powered excavators working on the mine site.
All of the big dumpers are due to be replaced with hydrogen powered engines & a new solar hydrogen plant to provide the hydrogen is currently being built .
And in a touch of irony one of our Lithium miners is also using hydrogen powered vehicles to mine the lithium and they are also building an on site hydrogen generator which is suppose to be solar powered to make green lithium for EV's
And of course they all say they are doing it to "save the planet " but the truth is converting to hydrogen will drop their fuel cost down 60 % so for the mines we a talking several millions every year and if they generate their own hydrogen the savings go as high as 85 % .
Hydrogen liquifies just like LPG does .
The only real problem is the H2 molecule is tiny so keeping everything sealed is the big problem .
Add to that , because there is no carbon to contaminate the oil with particulate matter the engines almost never need an oil change if they run their oil at ( or near ) 100 deg C to prevent the water contaminating the oil .
You never hear about it because the circus performer Musk is always getting himself & tesla in prime time news broadcasts .

The simple fact is there is not enough copper known to exist on the planet to replace every IC vehicle with an EV and there is serious doubt about there being enough Cobalt as well, and these predictions include mining all of the nodules copper from the ocean floors and reprocessing all of the old copper mine waste to recover the 0.1% that was uneconomic to recover 20 years ago plus a copper recycling rate of over 90% which currently stands at around 20% .

Do a search for hydrogen powered piston engines and you will be amazed at how far advanced they are , mainly because all that was needed was adjustments to existing technology to accomodate a new fuel .
The hydrogen turbine is a little way off but apparently there are some trials happening with locomotives where the diesel electric engines have been replaced with a hydrogen powered turbine & higher voltage generator .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
Bert - I had the privilege of working on a hydrogen powered pickup truck as long ago as 1979, and worked for CalEPA for 15 years. Well acquainted with all the alternative energy vehicles. Most of the hydrogen ones now use a fuel cell. And yes, containing the hydrogen is a hard part of it. The molecule is so small it escapes easily thru steel and aluminum containers. That said I have zero confidence that anyone has yet found an alternative energy source that is as reliable as fossil fuels. There are some well written papers out there on how we can deal with the excess CO2 in the air but the solutions are too easy and don't generate tax revenue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert - I had the privilege of working on a hydrogen powered pickup truck as long ago as 1979, and worked for CalEPA for 15 years. Well acquainted with all the alternative energy vehicles. Most of the hydrogen ones now use a fuel cell. And yes, containing the hydrogen is a hard part of it. The molecule is so small it escapes easily thru steel and aluminum containers. That said I have zero confidence that anyone has yet found an alternative energy source that is as reliable as fossil fuels. There are some well written papers out there on how we can deal with the excess CO2 in the air but the solutions are too easy and don't generate tax revenue.
Fuel cells for small vehicles where weight & space are at a premium
Direct burning of H2 where they are not
and of course turbines &generators where weight is an advantage like rail engines .

The most simple solution to pollution is to mandate a 20 year minimum service life on all consumer durable items .
But it won't happen because money talks and there is way too much easy money to be made by making trash with a short life span.
It also requires the public to be better educated.
In the EU for instance lawn tools all have to have their "durability index " clearly stated on their labels & displayed on the POS literature.
Items with a very low durability index get a higher sales tax ( called an environmental levy ) to change the price differential between junk & quality .
Thus I am able to show customers that their "professional grade " power tool bought off the web is actually junk & not worth repairing.
For instance the engine used on a lot of ebay / amazon only brands of line trimers is rated at 25 hours continueous use before it is no longer EPA compliant and a total service life of 50 hours .

My service van is 33 years old , my fridge is also 33 years old ( bought used & then repaired ) , the freezer is 41 and has been regased plus fitted with a new set of door seals My daily ride motorcycle is 75 years old and if I want to do bigger mileage then I use the "young " one that is only 40 years old .
The amount of pollution generated by keeping it on the road is less than 5% of what is generated making a new one .

Then there is the totally artificial nuclear family invented post WWII to encourage a massive increase in consumer demand for houses & household items .
Time to have a big rethink about all of the social & environmental created by the abandonment of the extended family .
Simply reverting to extended family living would reduce annual pollution by nearly 40% let alone domestic violence , mental problems from isolation and even radicalization because we would be in bigger family units , also makes living vastly cheaper as you are not forced into a situation where you spend better than 1/3 of your total income just keeping a roof over your head .
So you have more of your income to spend on better quality, higher ticket priced , long life goods .
Thus you don't perpetually need more income so inflation , which was invented to protect the value of the assets of the asset rich over time & is purely artifical gets reduced .
Right now a massive house that is just short of environmental vandalism in Sydney on a tiny block of land so the dog has to live inside the house and there is no outside yard space for kids to play or to grow veggies in that needs 24/7 airconditioning because there are no trees near the houses costs 6 times the gross household income and if paid off over the std 25 years will cost 15 years total house hold income and a vast number of people are just hanging on waiting for grandparents to die hoping to get an inheritance to pay down the debt .
However if this happens the bottom would drop out of the home loan finance industry and there is no way any government will allow that to happen

MowManWV

Threads
In my AO California is called "Commiefornia" and for good reason.

Guarantee you the elites are exempt and their illegal alien landscapers will continue using whatever they want to mow their yards. Unless a Leftie supports vastly expanded nuclear power generation, they are deluding themselves about non-carbon based energy production.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been following this technology for about 7 or 8 years. I believe that the Swiss were the first to figure it out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes they have been talking about his for decades
As of yesterday no one has actually cracked it and I seriously doubt any one ever will but it is always worth doing the research because the more we look the more we see & hopefully understand.
The idea of pumping it underground does not fix anything, it creates an even bigger problem for the future .
The carbonate rock plan is very energy intensive as you have to grind the basalt vert very fine and get it very hot.
Plus the carbonate rock will happily revert
Had not heard of the synthetic gas idea and that has promise but again it is going to consume more energy than it will produce when burned so it is a nett loss system and less energy efficient than distilling H2 from the air then burning it back into water and that has been around since the 60's but again is yet to be energy positive by the time you look at the energy to make the solar cells
The new solar cells that are based on synthetic crystals might make it feasible , but they are at least 5 years off commercialization.
The crunch is there is simpilly too many people on the planet & not enough trees .
Add to that a small percentage of those too many people are consuming way above the sustainable limits.
This is basically because all of the plans are based on continuing expansion which just can not happen unless you are an economist .
We used to call these things pyramid schemes and we banned them because like a Ponzie scheme eventually the bulk of people get burned.
Most of the industralists have more money than they could spend even if they took weekly trips into outer space .\
the solution is
1) Reduce
2) Repair
3) Reuse
4) Recycle
But the "right" people won't make another billion a week if that happens so it will not happen till 1/2 the USA is a wasteland where nothing can live.
Note right now it is only just into spring & Arizona is having the fires we had down here last year while we are having the floods that Europe had last year .
And CO2 is only a median player in global warming so just shotting some solar cells on the roof & driving a Tesla will do next to nothing to rectify the problems while we continue to renovate our houses because they "look old or stale " and live in massive houses that require more energy to heat and cool in a week than a village of 200 people in Africa will use in a year .
Then there is stuff like potable water & toilet paper, the Phos that we pump into the oceans from sewerage so it becomes lost to plant production, Calcium that is pulled out of the soil & not replaced plus Potassium because broad acre monocultures destroy the soil but we have been brainwashed that they are the only way we can feed the ever increasing population.

SamB

Threads
Yes they have been talking about his for decades
As of yesterday no one has actually cracked it and I seriously doubt any one ever will but it is always worth doing the research because the more we look the more we see & hopefully understand.
The idea of pumping it underground does not fix anything, it creates an even bigger problem for the future .
The carbonate rock plan is very energy intensive as you have to grind the basalt vert very fine and get it very hot.
Plus the carbonate rock will happily revert
Had not heard of the synthetic gas idea and that has promise but again it is going to consume more energy than it will produce when burned so it is a nett loss system and less energy efficient than distilling H2 from the air then burning it back into water and that has been around since the 60's but again is yet to be energy positive by the time you look at the energy to make the solar cells
The new solar cells that are based on synthetic crystals might make it feasible , but they are at least 5 years off commercialization.
The crunch is there is simpilly too many people on the planet & not enough trees .
Add to that a small percentage of those too many people are consuming way above the sustainable limits.
This is basically because all of the plans are based on continuing expansion which just can not happen unless you are an economist .
We used to call these things pyramid schemes and we banned them because like a Ponzie scheme eventually the bulk of people get burned.
Most of the industralists have more money than they could spend even if they took weekly trips into outer space .\
the solution is
1) Reduce
2) Repair
3) Reuse
4) Recycle
But the "right" people won't make another billion a week if that happens so it will not happen till 1/2 the USA is a wasteland where nothing can live.
Note right now it is only just into spring & Arizona is having the fires we had down here last year while we are having the floods that Europe had last year .
And CO2 is only a median player in global warming so just shotting some solar cells on the roof & driving a Tesla will do next to nothing to rectify the problems while we continue to renovate our houses because they "look old or stale " and live in massive houses that require more energy to heat and cool in a week than a village of 200 people in Africa will use in a year .
Then there is stuff like potable water & toilet paper, the Phos that we pump into the oceans from sewerage so it becomes lost to plant production, Calcium that is pulled out of the soil & not replaced plus Potassium because broad acre monocultures destroy the soil but we have been brainwashed that they are the only way we can feed the ever increasing population.
In a nutshell..."Too many"! Well put,bertsmobile1.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It comes down to the weird philosophy that maintains that people are some how not part of the natural environment and not another animal in the food chain.
Most people have no problems understanding the concept of over stocking a farm or over grazing a paddock, they can even understand over planting a garden.
Yet they can not understand the same applies to people.
Putin can happily wage war with the Ukrane because he has a heard of 144.000.000 to draw soldiers from so he can afford to loose a few thousand or even a few hundred thousand , although Russia's birth rate is currently negative.
In fact more Russians that die the better off Putin & his cronies are because feeding & educating the population is a drag on the finances which come mostly from mining & broad acre farming neither of which need a lot of people to operate . ( Australia is in the same boat ) .

Even worse is we understand how to best handle cattle , we feed them high quality feed and collect the waste products for reprocessing into fertilizers then when they die we use just about every part .
We feed humans on low grade food that is bad for them & cause a lot of disease because a few people make a lot of money from doing that .
We mostly do not recycle the waste preffering to pollute rivers & oceans with it so it is lost to agriculture and then when we die we still consume vast amounts of the environment for cemeteries which is becoming a massive problem in just about every Western country .

We did survey down here ( wonder how it was done ) a while back about visitations to cemeteries, because just about all of them are full .
Apparently it goes on average some thing like this
10 people visit each grave site for the first 5 years
That drops down to 2 for the next 5 years
The following 5 years it drops to 1 person per 100 plots
and after that is it 1 person for each 2000 plots .
Right now there is a big push to replant all cemeteries with native plants so at least they can become wildlife santuries so serve some useful purpose for the broader community .
The other group want to change the law to allow graves to be exhumed after X number of years and have the remains ground up or to rebury entire families on top of each other to liberate some space and the one I rather thought was smart , to bore round holes so the remains are standing on end and drop the bodies in thus compacting the space required

SamB

Threads
It comes down to the weird philosophy that maintains that people are some how not part of the natural environment and not another animal in the food chain.
Most people have no problems understanding the concept of over stocking a farm or over grazing a paddock, they can even understand over planting a garden.
Yet they can not understand the same applies to people.
Putin can happily wage war with the Ukrane because he has a heard of 144.000.000 to draw soldiers from so he can afford to loose a few thousand or even a few hundred thousand , although Russia's birth rate is currently negative.
In fact more Russians that die the better off Putin & his cronies are because feeding & educating the population is a drag on the finances which come mostly from mining & broad acre farming neither of which need a lot of people to operate . ( Australia is in the same boat ) .

Even worse is we understand how to best handle cattle , we feed them high quality feed and collect the waste products for reprocessing into fertilizers then when they die we use just about every part .
We feed humans on low grade food that is bad for them & cause a lot of disease because a few people make a lot of money from doing that .
We mostly do not recycle the waste preffering to pollute rivers & oceans with it so it is lost to agriculture and then when we die we still consume vast amounts of the environment for cemeteries which is becoming a massive problem in just about every Western country .

We did survey down here ( wonder how it was done ) a while back about visitations to cemeteries, because just about all of them are full .
Apparently it goes on average some thing like this
10 people visit each grave site for the first 5 years
That drops down to 2 for the next 5 years
The following 5 years it drops to 1 person per 100 plots
and after that is it 1 person for each 2000 plots .
Right now there is a big push to replant all cemeteries with native plants so at least they can become wildlife santuries so serve some useful purpose for the broader community .
The other group want to change the law to allow graves to be exhumed after X number of years and have the remains ground up or to rebury entire families on top of each other to liberate some space and the one I rather thought was smart , to bore round holes so the remains are standing on end and drop the bodies in thus compacting the space required
Sometimes,it's just too much to read in the time I have,bertsmobile1. Please be advised, EVERY word you post is ALWAYS read by me, sometimes twice(or more). Others would be wise to do so. To sit and share a pint(or two) would be such a pleasure.
Lawn Royalty, indeed! AHTK!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sometimes,it's just too much to read in the time I have,bertsmobile1. Please be advised, EVERY word you post is ALWAYS read by me, sometimes twice(or more). Others would be wise to do so. To sit and share a pint(or two) would be such a pleasure.
Lawn Royalty, indeed! AHTK!
We could use a few more Bert's across the globe.