Buying New IS 2100Z 61 inch

OLFART

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy ,

I am buying a new 2100 with the Vanguard engine , I was having trouble deciding on the Kow or the Briggs...did I make the right decision ?

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely, be sure to read engine manual thoroughly, use OEM B&S parts only.

OLFART

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok sure will , as I searched around the web B/S sure does get beat up in reviews....I will be mowing 3 acres , most on an incline , so just wanted to make the right decision...this is my first ZTR...:smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two years ago I had a problem with the Briggs ELS engine on my 2008 Scag Tiger Cub and I repowered it with a Briggs Commercial Turf series engine. At almost 300 hours, I am very pleased with this engine, particularly with the Cyclonic Air Filtration system as I use a collection system most of the time. The new Vanguard series engines are an upgrade of the Commercial Turf engine and now Briggs offers EFI and several larger displacement models.
I also have a 2012 Hustler X-ONE with a Kawasaki FX730V engine, nice engine, but more expensive.
For me it would be a tough decision between a Kawasaki FX engine and the Vanguard EFI engine. My next machine might be a Ferris, but that is down the road!!!
If dust is a problem where you mow, then an engine with the two stage Donaldson air filter would be my first priority. ZTRs are dusty machines by their nature and good air filtration is a top concern.

Last edited:

OLFART

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply :smile: The EFI isnt that an upgrade er still another optionl briggs ? I remember the dealer describing the different engine options.The Vangaurd is it not a normally asperated engine or EFI ?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the IS 2100Z 61" on the Ferris website and click on specs.
The Vanguard line has been redone, most models still have a carb and several have EFI.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok sure will , as I searched around the web B/S sure does get beat up in reviews....I will be mowing 3 acres , most on an incline , so just wanted to make the right decision...this is my first ZTR...:smile:

Just wanted to add that I check engine oil level before & after each use & use high quality synthetic oil in engine per B&S manual as well as B&S oil filters. I also check air filter frequently & clean foam filter as well. Engine oil cleans, cools, & lubricates internal parts.

OLFART

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well folks , after careful review of my newly acquired three acre property , I have some challenging hills gullies and ditches.I realized one big mistake and I could find myself overturned...:thumbdown: so, I called my dealer and he brought up a Grasshopper 623T , I demoed both side by side on a pretty provocative hill.I gave them both a good test drive and decided to keep the 52 inch Hopper for mostly safety concerns , so I will show up now over in the Grasshopper forum.:cool: