Briggs Stratton 22 hp V Twin won't slow down idle

RussellTP

Threads
When I started the motor, it kept running fast, I tried to pull down throttle to slow down but it won't. Is the fuel jets with seal leaks inside the bowl or something else wrong?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The throttle cable is connected to the engine governor, the governor is connected to the carburetor.
The throttle setting tells the governor what RPM range it wants, the governor then controls the carburetor throttle plate setting to achieve and maintain that RPM setting.
Sometimes the carburetor throttle plate shaft gets crud on it and won't rotate freely.
Sometimes the throat in the carburetor where the throttle plate(s) are located gets crud that won't let the plates return back to the low idle position.

Tinkerer200

Threads
More likely the governor arm clamp has come loose from the governor shaft going thru the engine block OR the governor inside has disintegrated OR the screws have come out of the throttle butterfly where it attaches to the butterfly shaft OR the intake manifold has loosened allowing air to leak causing engine to over speed.

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or the spring between the throttle control and the govenor arm has fallen off or got some trash stuck in it.

RussellTP

Threads
I checked these, they are fine but when I unplugged the fuel sensor on carburetor, it kept running. It looks like seal leaking thur?

Tinkerer200

Threads
I checked these, they are fine but when I unplugged the fuel sensor on carburetor, it kept running. It looks like seal leaking thur?

You have just highlighted why it is necessary to give the model number of the engine when seeking help. I am unaware of a 22 hp B&S V Twin with a fuel sensor. Is this one of the new fuel injected models?
Walt Conner

RussellTP

Threads
You have just highlighted why it is necessary to give the model number of the engine when seeking help. I am unaware of a 22 hp B&S V Twin with a fuel sensor. Is this one of the new fuel injected models?
Walt Conner

Model. 40H777
Type. 0241 E1
Code. 030206YG

Tinkerer200

Threads
An examination of the IPL for this engine does not show any "fuel sensor". Only thing close to that is the carb. anti-afterfire solenoid which has no affect on running, only if it will run. Apparently it is defective, previous owner probably cut the plunger off, will not cause the symptoms you describe.

Walt Conner