Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?

TylerFrankel1

Threads
  • / Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?
I need a tank assy for briggs 5hp on an old 2400watt generator right now to replace a rusty one. You got a link to that 25 dollar tank? Tks

Any chance it’s a generac? Mines also a 2400 watt hooked to a 5 horse L head Briggs. Tank didn’t seem too awful but I didn’t inspect thoroughly. Will do soon. That shouldn’t be what’s clogging the carb though because there’s a filter on the pick up

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the metal tank is rusting the pickup screen won't stop it all. The one i have needing a tank is pretty old. It was a freebie. I have a 2500 watt Coleman with a 5hp L flat head briggs. Had to remove the yellow mesh as it was deteriorating. I have saved a tank using a product from eastwood just for lining rusty tanks. A little expensive but it works.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can fit a fuel filter in the line somewhere, one that you can see through, that would help to see what's actually going to the carb.
With a rusty tank, the you probably won't be able to see the where it's getting clogged. But you'll be able to remove the fuel line, and blow back up into the tank (gas cap off), and clear it up for a little until the gas runs out. Then remove the gas fitting from the tank and drain it again.

I had an old coffee pot I used to use for this. Where I'd use a coffee filter to pour the dirty gas into, that drips into a clean container. This allowed me to see what was coming out of the tank.
Remember, a magnet will still pick up rusty steal.

Being that you may not have time or access to all the new parts you may need. BTW, some small engine shops have used parts. Check with them to see if they have a good used tank.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no conventional fuel line on the 5hp flathead briggs. Fuel is pumped into a cup in the fuel tank and that acts as the float bowl.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Thanks everyone! I've determined that the issue is with the pickup tube finding every tiny piece of dirt in the tank. It keeps clogging. Hopefully at some point it will get the last of the dirt and stop clogging. The pump and everything else is working quite well. Starts on 2 pulls.

logert gogert

Threads
check them for being clear by blowing into the tubes. This proves effective, although its probably shortening my lifespan and makes my mouth sore.
Wait............does it really???

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well Logert it does only if you not drink gasoline regularly. Most of us don't as it is hazardous.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks everyone! I've determined that the issue is with the pickup tube finding every tiny piece of dirt in the tank. It keeps clogging. Hopefully at some point it will get the last of the dirt and stop clogging. The pump and everything else is working quite well. Starts on 2 pulls.
If it is rust you may be fighting a losing battle. You can remove the tank and put a big handful of machine nuts in it and shake it for a few minutes or put it in a vibratory cleaner to shake it then rinse it out a half dozen times and hope you get the loose rust out.

logert gogert

Threads
Well Logert it does only if you not drink gasoline regularly. Most of us don't as it is hazardous.
so even just a little bit of gas touching your lips will hurt you.........?