Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?

TylerFrankel1

Threads
  • / Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?
Hey everyone! I live in Matthews, NC and we just got hit with an F1 tornado. Power has been, as such, knocked out. It isn’t expected to be restored for at least 2 days. In the mean time I cranked up my old Coleman generator, it’s a small one just enough to run a fridge and charge some devices. It leaks gas and when it’s off because it’s missing a float bowl gasket, but so long as it’s on we’re good :). Anyway, my neighbors are in the same situation and I went with them today to a thrift shop, where I knew they had some equipment. We picked up a 2400 watt generator with a Briggs flathead for 70 bucks, allegedly working. It is very Jerry rigged, the engine being secured by zip ties. However for 70 bucks it’s hard to beat.

Unfortunately it wouldn’t start. Quickly realized that there was gas in it that had gone bad. Dumped it, tried again. Nothing. There is spark and compression. Took off the pulsa jet carb and checked it out. The upper reservoir was filthy. Cleaned it, and put in fresh gas up there too. After that, I coaxed it into starting and running for a few minutes (after I put some gas in the intake as well, but not so much that it was only running off that for the few minutes). After it died I took it back apart and the reservoir had drained down a lot. This leads me to believe the pulsa jet isn’t working. Checked out the diaphragm and spring. Spring is springy and the diagram wasn’t hard or anything, but the check valves did look frayed around the edges. The uptake from the main fuel tank is not blocked, I can blow air up through it.

So is my problem with the diaphragm? Or is there a blocked passage? I suspect the diaphragm since it runs until that upper reservoir is drained, but a port could be blocked too i suppose? Any thoughts? I appreciate it.

p.s. I have posted the same thing on a few different websites, not because I’m impatient or trying to be annoying, but because the temperature here is supposed to drop to 20 and we’re trying to get a space heater running. Sorry if I bother anybody, though I doubt anyone will notice

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those diaphragms seem to be problem number one on those motors. I'd run down to the nearest place and get a new one and replace the old. Pretty simple carbs, the diaphragm is most of the carb.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Those diaphragms seem to be problem number one on those motors. I'd run down to the nearest place and get a new one and replace the old. Pretty simple carbs, the diaphragm is most of the carb.

I’ll try that first. Considering it looks frayed and the gas had went bad In it that’s probably the issue. I hope.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Before putting everything back together, make sure that both pickup tubes are clear. This manual might be of some help. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00

I check them for being clear by blowing into the tubes. This proves effective, although its probably shortening my lifespan and makes my mouth sore.

Today I went down to my local power equipment store, and sure enough, they had a diaphragm! I put it in, and got it to run for about 30 minutes. So the fuel pump is working. Then It died again. Gunk had gotten into the jet. Cleaned it and put it back together. Ran again for a while, then the same thing happened. Cleaned it out again, only this time it wanted 2/3 choke to run nicely. Then it died yet again, presumably from dirt. Gas was not gone. I think this means I should probably blast out all the ports of the carb really well with some cleaner, since it keeps clogging.

The thing is, when it was only running at 2/3, before I had put it together I had checked the ports. The tank uptake, jet, diaphragm cover, and in/out ports were all clear. So I don't know why it was running more poorly. I also don't know where all the dirt is coming from since the tank uptake has a screen on it. Its missing the bottom gasket, so I guess I need to replace that, but shockingly it doesn't leak. Anyway, I guess I'll just keep running it, cleaning it, etc. until it keeps working.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check the gas tank for rust? Deoending on when made can have a big chunk of yellow mesh in the tank that can get old and start crumbling.
What is the engine model and code numbers?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure on this exact model but you can get a tank and carb assembly on ebay for around $25 or less. Might save a bunch of aggravation.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure on this exact model but you can get a tank and carb assembly on ebay for around $25 or less. Might save a bunch of aggravation.
I need a tank assy for briggs 5hp on an old 2400watt generator right now to replace a rusty one. You got a link to that 25 dollar tank? Tks

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oops. I did say tank on that didn't I. Might cost a bit more for that tank, like $100 more.